Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 792063 times)

Offline alertArchitect

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5700 on: Thu, 08 July 2021, 11:08:56 »
It funny how the dynamic changes with team games. In fighting games, people are always happy to get new players into a game.

Ohhhhh yeah. It's almost like some people don't know how to recognize when they make mistakes and blame it all on others when they can, making the toxicity come out more in team-based competitive games more than chill co-op or 1v1 games. For example, the Warframe community, the Starlords community, the Monster Hunter community, the fighting game community, and what I know of the Starcraft community all have one thing in common - the willingness to accept and assist new players instead of gatekeeping or raging at them just for not knowing the game they're new to.

Can you tell I have some left over resentment at those types of communities from when I used to play League of Legends?

In all seriousness though, I don't tend to see any gatekeeping in the KB community, which is great. Even the more joking stuff that can come off as such, or the rebuttals of points that may come off like that, you can definitely tell if you actually look at it that there is nothing more going on than pointing things out the person being responded to may not have considered, especially if they're used to hobbies with more mass market appeal, like miniature painting. The differences between this hobby, which is still fairly small even if it is growing a lot, and ones that are much more established and have a lot more money in them is not something to underestimate, but it still happens. That leads to people being misinformed, then corrected with information about how this hobby can differ from others. And while, yes, that can come off as being a bit gatekeep-y, honestly I see it as just being honest with people so they can alter their mindset and expectations regarding the hobby to fit with what it actually is rather than what it would be if it were more like other hobbies in the same vein.

Offline CobaltSwiftpaw

« Reply #5701 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 14:04:51 »
It might be just me, but I honestly feel like I'm being gaslit half the time I visit the interest check forum. Page after page of the same generic-looking boxy keyboards or bog standard cherry profile keycaps in a slightly different shade of grey. I can't tell the latest one apart from the last 4 I viewed, and then hordes of people come tripping over each other to declare that it's the most amazing thing they've ever seen.  :confused:

Nope, I agree. Before I knew what they were I bought a GMK clone set and while I can understand liking different colourways and all, I just don't see why people lust over a specific keycap set that hasn't been made for 2 years when there's probably a set that looks identical currently live.

Offline alertArchitect

« Reply #5702 on: Fri, 09 July 2021, 15:23:23 »
Nope, I agree. Before I knew what they were I bought a GMK clone set and while I can understand liking different colourways and all, I just don't see why people lust over a specific keycap set that hasn't been made for 2 years when there's probably a set that looks identical currently live.

It boils down to the same reason people will pay more for TCG cards that are foil, or from an older set in the game. That version is harder to find, and thus more valuable to collectors. For example, in Magic: The Gathering, if you get a rare card that's pretty strong from a new set, but is a reprint of that same card and effect from an older set, the versions from the older sets are going to be much more expensive, even if the existence of a reprint brings down the price of the older cards a bit, simply because the older ones are harder to find in good condition and are no longer in print the exact way it was in that original printing. The harder to find it is, the more enticing collectors find it, and the more they'll pay.

Then, when you look specifically at the market for keycaps, you have the issues of clones possibly being of lower quality, legend fading, the feel of the type of plastic used being different and not to your liking, the colors of some sets possibly not matching 100% between the normal caps and the longer keys (Different types of white between the alphanumerics and spacebar, for example. Unintentional differences, basically), quality of the printing on the legends / designs for the caps being different, legend placement, etc. There are so many variables that go into keycap design and production that, sometimes, there will be people that will say "I want this one, and will accept no substitutes," simply because they found what they like and don't want to change it if they can due to how quality and other variables can change what they enjoy about those keycaps, even with clones.

Offline geauxflying

« Reply #5703 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 08:51:36 »
FR4 plates are the best.

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #5704 on: Sun, 11 July 2021, 11:35:08 »
FR4 plates are the best.
They are pretty nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5705 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 00:45:55 »
Gasket mount designs are super diverse and super finnicky, but I have no problem at all getting a tray mount to feel or sound good. I've reached the point where seeing "gasket mounted" in an IC makes me nervous.

Offline TheWonderBubble

« Reply #5706 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 09:28:54 »
Gasket mount designs are super diverse and super finnicky, but I have no problem at all getting a tray mount to feel or sound good. I've reached the point where seeing "gasket mounted" in an IC makes me nervous.

May be slightly off topic but you seem like the person to ask - I'm looking for a tray-mount 60% case (DH60 spec) but the only one I know of is the Tofu60, anything else you'd recommend I look at that isn't a long-ended group buy?
Shhhhh...my wallet doesn't know I'm here.

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5707 on: Mon, 12 July 2021, 18:46:05 »

May be slightly off topic but you seem like the person to ask - I'm looking for a tray-mount 60% case (DH60 spec) but the only one I know of is the Tofu60, anything else you'd recommend I look at that isn't a long-ended group buy?
Most 60%s stick to the Poker spec, so almost all are compatible with the DH60. I'm thinking of getting the NPKC wooden ones with the built in wristrest soon.

Offline Ailment

« Reply #5708 on: Tue, 13 July 2021, 13:42:58 »
Blockers for the arrow cluster on 65%s are trash.... I don't want less functionality on my board and I don't need help finding/ not hitting something that is in the bottom corner of the board, lets get rid of the 1 key while we are at it so I don't hit escape.... Sorry, 65% is my preference and pretty much every one I have seen lately has no FN key on the right half.  And if you like it for aesthetics, I don't think it looks good either  ;) LOL

Offline Volny

« Reply #5709 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 20:07:11 »
1. Pom blanks are the superior keycaps. Durable and no possible issues with legend centering/legend quality.

Kinda like how all high-end sound systems can be so easily spoiled with inferior music CDs that run the risk of displaying distortion, overwarm bass, lack of treble clarity, artificial sounding sound stage, not to mention simply questionable musical taste. None of which should be tolerated by the discerning audiophile. That's why 9 out 10 serious audiophiles demand only the very best and most flawless experience from their hifis, and will listen only to blank CDs, after they have switched the unit off. :-X  :p

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5710 on: Thu, 22 July 2021, 20:12:20 »

1. Pom blanks are the superior keycaps. Durable and no possible issues with legend centering/legend quality.

No matter of concern for those who touch type.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5711 on: Fri, 23 July 2021, 17:02:34 »
Blockers for the arrow cluster on 65%s are trash.... I don't want less functionality on my board and I don't need help finding/ not hitting something that is in the bottom corner of the board,

For this reason I don't follow custom keyboards, aside from the Boston.  "Blockers" and oversized empty bezel/border area on almost everything. 

My addition in this unpopular opinion area: artwork and fancy machining/polishing on the underside or "back" edge of the keyboard are absolutely pointless.  I'd be frustrated to pay $$$ for a fancy keyboard that has much of the fancy always hidden underneath. 
My Group Buys: SA Nightlight, GMK Tuzi, ePBT RamenStop, GMK Iceberg, IFK Peach Tea, KAT Space Dust
Considering: GMK Stargaze
Non-GB sets: Akko World Tour Tokyo (V1), Coral Sea, SA Lime
Boards: GMMK TKL, Akko 3084, Kono 84