Author Topic: [IC] GMK Violet on Cream [Pricing! Starts Aug 3!]  (Read 44598 times)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
[IC] GMK Violet on Cream [Pricing! Starts Aug 3!]
« on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:19:28 »
Another goddamn GMK keyset. I know I know.

With assistance from ARSLOCK, I've recreated the SA Violet on Cream set in GMK. Originally designed by 7bit for his famous SA group buys, the set has evolved into a classic after Beamingrobot's recent SA kit run linked previously.

The kits, pricing, etc. are all in their infancy as I haven't had a lot of time to work on the set lately. This will be a classicly-influenced set utilizing text-icon legends on the modifiers and secondary legends on the numpad. Basically what GMK Originative's legends are like.

Base kit:

Spacebar kit:

Purple alpha kit:

40's Kit

Original Round 6 Violet on Cream pics, colors will be matched to these:
(Credit to maximm3k and pemap09 on reddit)

Specs at this time:

• No novelties. I'm hoping to work with a few artisan makers to produce matching artisans though.
  • MOQ of the base kit will be 250. Secondary kits will have an MOQ of 100.
  • The violet is SP's RDE, the cream is GMK's WS4 (used on GMK Camping, also the original 7bit cream color - SP's WCK).
  • The set will run in August of this year (2019 if you forgot.)
  • NovelKeys will be the US seller.
  • MyKeyboard.eu will be the EU seller.
  • iLuMKB in Singapore will be the SEA seller.
  • Daily Clack will be the AUS seller.
  • As Mike from NovelKeys is helping out with the set, expect some other VoC-themed products like deskmats, etc.

The GB will run August 3-31, 2019.

Pricing:

Base kit - $115
Purple alphas - $70
40s kit - $35
Spacebars - $35

All in USD and the Novelkeys pricing - other pricing from the proxy vendors to come.

Thanks for your time.

Sig pic (thanks ARSLOCK):
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=100444][img width=394 height=120]http://arslock.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GMK-VoCx120.png[/img][/url]
Feel free to join my Discord and leave some comments in this project's channel: discord.hiney.cc

Quick render on HBCP (soontm):

Render on Naeyeon by Zekkin:

All-purple render on Nunu by Tomu:

Group pic

Old stuff:
More
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 July 2019, 11:41:48 by hineybush »

Offline Theconejo

Re: [IC] GMK Violet on Cream
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:20:43 »
Yes

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:21:06 »
VoC good, GMK good. Why not?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline gnhuy91

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:22:23 »
ne icon mods avail

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:24:07 »
Count me in - VoC is a lovely set and I'd be down to help bring this to life

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:24:14 »
ne icon mods avail

not this time, sorry!

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:26:15 »
I wouldn't really say blessing of Beamingrobot like he made the set. I'm not trying to play the bad guy here but give original credit where it's due.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:29:21 by TheEerieCold »
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:30:53 »
I wouldn't really say blessing of Beamingrobot like he made the set. I'm not trying to play the bad guy here but give original credit where it's due.

You're right - I only asked him for approval since he put together the kit for the recent SA run on NovelKeys. Where does the set actually originate from? I know 7bit has run it as part of his SA Round group buys, but I'm not sure if it goes older than that.

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:33:02 »
Not that 7bit has ever cared about GMK, he did still create the original idea/colors. Not trying to get into an owning colorway discussion, I just think it's fair to give thanks when it's needed.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:34:37 »
Not that 7bit has ever cared about GMK, he did still create the original idea/colors. Not trying to get into an owning colorway discussion, I just think it's fair to give thanks when it's needed.

Yep for sure, thanks for that. Edited the main post  :thumb:

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:35:38 »

A few things I need to figure out:
(Please suggest solutions!)

• Which 1.5u Delete key to use.
  • Whether it's worth including a second 2.25u Shift key.
  • Whether the 1.75u Function key is worthwhile.
  • Whether two 6U spacebars is worth it.
  • How many ISO keys to include in the base - I'm trying to keep the cost down.

I'd be down for this.

Here is my take on some of the items you need to figure out.

1. 1.5u Delete: make it a <---- arrow icon backspace. I think it looks neatest from my experience owning multiple sets (see GMK Taro). Please do not use the < [X] backspace icon.

2. I think including a second 2.25u Shift key is useful for Clueboard and Leopold 660M users, etcetera. There is also use for the Shift key for other reasons, such as split spacebar, etc.

3. I don't think a 1.75u Function key is worthwhile, but I think you have the ultimate say on whether it should be included. I also wanted to suggest adding a stepped 1.75u R3 Control key. A lot of people use the Control key in that position, and personally, I always prefer the look of a stepped key in that position than a non-stepped one. Other sets have included Stepped Control, and it's been nice (see kekkon's GMK Dolch). If you won't include it, I'll live with it, but I'd recommend it ;D

4. I think the simplest form of ISO would be best -- that is, ISO enter, the two keys that go in the R3 row, short 1.25u Shift, R4 pipe key. Optionally you can include ISO-UK keys, which are the 1, 2, and 3 keys on the number row.

5. Other suggestions that I'd like to make.

a) Inclusion of 1u R4 00 key for splitting the 0 key of the numpad section.

b) Alternate homing key for the 5 in the numpad. I prefer a scoop for all my homing keys. I'd personally recommend having bar for one key, and scoop for the alternate.

c) R5 bottom row? With GMK Carbon R2 having been made successfully, we now have molds for R5 support for 1.25u mods as well as 1.5u mods. It's great. I think we should take advantage of it.

d) You are missing a 1.5u modifier colored Pipe key.
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:37:53 by LightningXI »

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:36:07 »
Thank you for being civil! I know it's a nitpick but you wouldn't do that intentionally I'm sure. You're too nice of a guy.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:41:45 »

A few things I need to figure out:
(Please suggest solutions!)

• Which 1.5u Delete key to use.
  • Whether it's worth including a second 2.25u Shift key.
  • Whether the 1.75u Function key is worthwhile.
  • Whether two 6U spacebars is worth it.
  • How many ISO keys to include in the base - I'm trying to keep the cost down.

I'd be down for this.

Here is my take on some of the items you need to figure out.

1. 1.5u Delete: make it a <---- arrow icon backspace. I think it looks neatest from my experience owning multiple sets (see GMK Taro). Please do not use the < [X] backspace icon.

2. I think including a second 2.25u Shift key is useful for Clueboard and Leopold 660M users, etcetera. There is also use for the Shift key for other reasons, such as split spacebar, etc.

3. I don't think a 1.75u Function key is worthwhile, but I think you have the ultimate say on whether it should be included. I also wanted to suggest adding a stepped 1.75u R3 Control key. A lot of people use the Control key in that position, and personally, I always prefer the look of a stepped key in that position than a non-stepped one. Other sets have included Stepped Control, and it's been nice (see kekkon's GMK Dolch). If you won't include it, I'll live with it, but I'd recommend it ;D

4. I think the simplest form of ISO would be best -- that is, ISO enter, the two keys that go in the R3 row, short 1.25u Shift, R4 pipe key. Optionally you can include ISO-UK keys, which are the 1, 2, and 3 keys on the number row.

5. Other suggestions that I'd like to make.

a) Inclusion of 1u R4 00 key for splitting the 0 key of the numpad section.

b) Alternate homing key for the 5 in the numpad. I prefer a scoop for all my homing keys. I'd personally recommend having bar for one key, and scoop for the alternate.

c) R5 bottom row? With GMK Carbon R2 having been made successfully, we now have molds for R5 support for 1.25u mods as well as 1.5u mods. It's great. I think we should take advantage of it.

d) You are missing a 1.5u modifier colored Pipe key.

1. That's my thought, i'd rather have the icon one myself.

2. Good point, I know about the Clueboard/FC660M people but always forget it's also used for split spacebars.

3. I def want to add the stepped control - Fn will prob be booted for it.

4. Agreed - sorry ISO people, but basic ISO is best iso.

5a) yeah good idea.

5b) I like the nipple myself, but I can adjust.

5c) I don't know of R5 will be viable (add keys to the base kit) but I'll explore it.

5d) I added it right after I posted the IC, just haven't updated the pic yet.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:44:07 »

5c) I don't know of R5 will be viable (add keys to the base kit) but I'll explore it.

:cool: Thanks for the quick response.

Seems like we're in agreement for almost everything! That's really awesome.

Just to clarify my R5 suggestion -- replace R4 bottom for R5 (kind of the way Carbon R2 did it -- there was no R4 bottom row).

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:46:05 »

Just to clarify my R5 suggestion -- replace R4 bottom for R5 (kind of the way Carbon R2 did it -- there was no R4 bottom row).

oooo I see. I'd rather have R4 over R5 then in that case.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 00:54:38 »
Thanks for taking this on Hiney  :thumb:
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 01:31:44 »
Start the GB.
I'll buy.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 01:38:54 »
an absolute must buy from me
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 02:11:29 »

oooo I see. I'd rather have R4 over R5 then in that case.

You could also do what TA90 did, which is make R5 1.5u only and R4 1.25u only.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 02:13:42 »

That'd be flawed and fatal for any layouts that may need to combine the two. See 65%/75%/96/1800 without the 0.5u blocker.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 03:04:57 »

That'd be flawed and fatal for any layouts that may need to combine the two. See 65%/75%/96/1800 without the 0.5u blocker.

yeah if you're gonna do r5 it should be its own kit imo
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 06:31:37 »
Purple stuff is good.

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 07:38:52 »
I'm not really a huge fan of R5 I've had it bind on me on retools...

I'm trying to get a couple renders together of the monotone violet, I think it would be nice. This would be lighter than GMK Phantom and have a different shot.

Here's the 7bit version

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 09:00:31 »
Violet on Cream has always been the best 7bit colourway in my opinion, super interested in this. Thanks for setting this up Hiney.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:48:18 »
Updated the base kit:

Added stepped control key, removed 1.75u Function key
Changed the vertical bar to the broken bar (aesthetics)
Rearranged caps
1.5u Delete key is now Backspace
Added barred homing 5 (one in the kit is scooped)
Added 00 key for splitting the 2u 0 on numpad

Spacebar kit:
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:09:04 by hineybush »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:56:08 »
Do GMK have a mould for 1.25 convex yet? Someone with a popular set should just get that done (not hinting at this set specifically) sooner rather than later, it's a very useful key and it's just 1 mould, surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 12:59:11 »
Do GMK have a mould for 1.25 convex yet? Someone with a popular set should just get that done (not hinting at this set specifically) sooner rather than later, it's a very useful key and it's just 1 mould, surprised it hasn't happened yet.

Not to my knowledge, but we can explore it.

Oblotzky has suggested using GMK's WS4 color for the alphas and mod legends instead of SP's WV. WS4 is the same cream color as GMK Camping and is based on SP's WCK, which is the original 7bit buy's cream color. I'll get renders of both and figure out which looks better.

Offline Acereconkeys

• Happiness = life - expectations
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:12:29 »
I missed this on SA, felt bad, i won't make that mistake again.

Going to be really hard to pick between all the great purple sets going on. There's this, black lotus, and first love all who are unique but great.
TMO50 | Jane V2 CE Incoming | Realforce 87u 55g | Aergo

Aergo design and build log: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=103681.msg2840918#msg2840918

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:28:37 »
Purple alpha kit:

the 6u spaces here may not make it into the final kit

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 13:42:24 »
Also curious if you guys would want/need split purple spaces?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:03:36 »
The amount of gmk buys being proposed is insane. I remember when people used to take turns so everyone could afford to join. I guess things have blown up enough where this my buys is doable?

Really nice looking set.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:25:27 »

Would like to see it personally as said, in my case it'd be useful for my Alice but I'm sure I've seen other split spacebar setups that use 1.25 between the two bigger ones.

Also curious if you guys would want/need split purple spaces?

I'd like purple split spaces. This might not be the most elegant solution but it might be worth considering offering two identical (to the one already proposed) space bar kits in either colour and just removing the space bars from the purple alphas entirely/reducing those to just the standard 6.25. Or add the split ones to the alphas kit. Either of those would probably help both kits gain traction, but obviously it all depends on prospect interest and how many people are keen on the purple alphas mono look to begin with but hey, figured I may as well throw it out there.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 14:32:13 »

Oblotzky has suggested using GMK's WS4 color for the alphas and mod legends instead of SP's WV. WS4 is the same cream color as GMK Camping and is based on SP's WCK, which is the original 7bit buy's cream color. I'll get renders of both and figure out which looks better.

1.25u convex was an option in the GMK Blanks group buy, but I don't think it hit MOQ. So I'm not sure if the molds actually exist, or if they were some kind of future promise from GMK.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:49:42 »
Needa remove ~ and / from the purple kit, oops

I'll rework the spacebar kit to include purple keys there as well

Offline dk4one

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 16:59:40 »
Im a simple man. I see purple, I buy...

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:28:21 »
I'd buy all 3 kits as they stand now. love it.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 17:52:17 »
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:13:00 »
WV base (current plan)

WCK (CP)/WS4 (GMK) base (proposed change)

I'm partial to the WCK, we'll see what the people want

Pls vote

https://forms.gle/yMdAxJLq72AhGwhi9
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:15:40 by hineybush »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 18:56:29 »
WCK for sure. Good call on that.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:09:57 »
WCK is better

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:48:07 »
Also prefer WCK - it's creamier.

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:49:26 »
K WCK wins

Offline Theswetiyeti

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:33:14 »
Definitely interested

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #43 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 07:46:09 »
WCK (CP)/WS4 is the winner for me.

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 07:50:04 »
K WCK wins

Good good. We actually ended up using WCK for SA VoC. Melissa emailed us and said that the WV had changed colors a couple years ago, and WCK would be more suited.

Offline ARSLOCK

• CarolinaMech.com
    • Carolina Mech
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 08:05:42 »
A simple banner for the set

Here it is if you want to support the set in your sig!

« Last Edit: Tue, 30 April 2019, 08:10:51 by ARSLOCK »

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 08:29:58 »
K WCK wins

Good good. We actually ended up using WCK for SA VoC. Melissa emailed us and said that the WV had changed colors a couple years ago, and WCK would be more suited.

well I'll be

Offline kconfire

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 09:11:30 »
Nice, I like this.
Perhaps when everything's done and over I would get this GMK VoC BEFORE my SA R7 V&C. lol
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline hineybush

• * Maker
  • student of error
    • hineybush keyboards
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 13:19:00 »
A few new renders on Naeyeon, by Zekkin:

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #49 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 13:27:23 »
A few new renders on Naeyeon, by Zekkin:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hooo wee. This definitely needs to see the light of day.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk