Author Topic: Revisiting Pandas as linears  (Read 2135 times)

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
Revisiting Pandas as linears
« on: Thu, 23 May 2019, 07:51:24 »
Recently, I've started hearing about people using YOK housings to make linear frankenswitches, e.g. using Kailh Burgundy sliders.

I was always under the impression (with only limited testing of my own) that the Panda housing was overall pretty bad, and that they were only worth using for tactiles because of the unique shape of the contact leaf. So after hearing this, I was curious, so I grabbed a couple of my unused Gsus switches, and... you know what? these aren't that bad. There are a couple of scratchy points, and they are pretty wobbly. But compared to an MX linear, it wasn't significantly less smooth.

I'll think about the sliders another day. But at "second blush" here, the badness of these housings seems really overblown.

What does Geekhack think? Who here has actually done a linear Panda build that they were happy with? And if you have a bunch of leftover linear stems, are Panda housings a good -- or "good enough" -- place to put them?
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
Re: Revisiting Pandas as linears
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 00:12:47 »
I have some red YOK pandas and halo clears which I bought to make holy pandas. I wasn’t THAT impressed with the holy pandas, but I toyed around with the yok pandas themselves and they’re not too bad.

I’m still new to linear switches and honestly I don’t understand how to differentiate between all the varieties on the market. On discord, I asked what the problems with pandas as linears were, everyone proceeded to tell me how bad they were without offering any reasons as to WHY.

The best reason I got was “they’re being used as housings for tactile switches, so they must be bad linears”.

I’m still figuring out linears, but one things for sure, I too don’t think yok pandas are so bad as linears. Maybe that opinion will change as I try more linear varieties. Until now, the linears I’ve tried critically were retooled lubed mx blacks, gateron yellows, regular (old) mx blacks, yellows with mx black springs (I think these are my favorite so far), yok pandas, yok pandas with halo clear springs.

The yok pandas themselves are fine switches, and they compare well with the lubed retooled blacks. The spring is a touch lighter which I don’t like. The gateron yellows were also too light for me - i like to rest my fingers on the switches when I’m gazing at my screen.

Although I like the cushioned resistance in mx blacks, the halo clear springs in the panda housing were too stiff and tiring after a while.

I’m curious to hear opinions on regular pandas as linear switches.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 03:47:55 »
They're not that bad as a spacebar switch on a holy panda build.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 17:53:48 »
Recently, I've started hearing about people using YOK housings to make linear frankenswitches, e.g. using Kailh Burgundy sliders.

I was always under the impression (with only limited testing of my own) that the Panda housing was overall pretty bad, and that they were only worth using for tactiles because of the unique shape of the contact leaf. So after hearing this, I was curious, so I grabbed a couple of my unused Gsus switches, and... you know what? these aren't that bad. There are a couple of scratchy points, and they are pretty wobbly. But compared to an MX linear, it wasn't significantly less smooth.

I'll think about the sliders another day. But at "second blush" here, the badness of these housings seems really overblown.

What does Geekhack think? Who here has actually done a linear Panda build that they were happy with? And if you have a bunch of leftover linear stems, are Panda housings a good -- or "good enough" -- place to put them?

Linears and clicky are the only switches i like. Cherry MX browns feel okay, however a light linear is great especially due to my fast typing skills.

I don't like if its stiff however, that hurts my hands.