Author Topic: choose only one Switch for the rest of your life, what will it be?  (Read 19166 times)

Offline SlipperyPeteED

Re: choose only one Switch for the rest of your life, what will it be?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 01:11:15 »
Gateron Inks with Gateron Clear Stems

Offline actualglacier

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 😳
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 06:35:06 »
Some form of 62g lubed and switch filmed browns.
actualglacier on youtube

Offline killyou

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 12:04:06 »
Kailh BOX Pinks with White/Jade spring.

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 19 July 2019, 14:23:06 »
I was a die hard buckling spring guy for a while, started traveling, and could only justify the HHKB.  Been Topre only a while now.
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rajendra82

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 19:44:53 »
Kailh BOX Pinks with White/Jade spring.
Isn't that pretty much Kailh BOX Noble Yellow? Probably much easier to just get that.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 July 2019, 19:47:28 by rajendra82 »

Offline brainandforce

• Keyboarding on a budget!
« Reply #55 on: Sun, 21 July 2019, 22:35:08 »
If it had to be a highly practical option, most likely I'd pick v2 Zilents or some Outemu silent SKY tactile variant.

If noise was not an issue, IBM membrane buckling spring.

If PCB/part availability was not an issue and I could custom manufacture everything I needed to create my own layout, IBM beamsprings, no contest.

Offline SrDozer

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 02:44:56 »
Outemu purple or red, they are great for typing and gaming, at least in my taste.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 22 July 2019, 05:02:59 »
Gateron Ink

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 30 December 2019, 16:59:52 »
Buckling springs, would be my pick. They just do what I need them to do.

I'm fairly conservative with my picks though, I've used them on both ends of my life quite a bit, so I have a hard time imagining not having them.

But if they didn't exist: Probably the clickiest Cherry or Gateron I could get my hands on, either a green, blue, or clear.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 04:38:10 »
But if they didn't exist: Probably the clickiest Cherry or Gateron I could get my hands on, either a green, blue, or clear.
That would be a Kailh Box Navy then...  Gateron Ink Blue are surprisingly up there too.

Offline mode

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 06:21:22 »
Easy, SKCM Orange. Assuming an endless lifetime supply of NOS switches.

I have a bag of a few hundred oranges (and a hundred salmons) precisely because it's my favourite switch and I want to keep using it for as long as I can.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 31 December 2019, 09:32:01 »
That would be a Kailh Box Navy then...  Gateron Ink Blue are surprisingly up there too.
I can't believe I forgot the Kailh Box Navy and Jade! I got two on a new keytester I bought recently, they feel so good.

I've never tried a Gateron Ink Blue though, I'll shortly start a quest to find one and type on it.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline VimLover

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 00:25:07 »
I should say 45g Topre because I'm probably going to be buried with my HHKB collection, but the Navy NovelKeys x Kailh BOX Thick Clicks are some of the best clickers I've every laid my fingers on. I'm pretty violent with my key presses, and that 60g click just feels right.

Offline mizer357

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 07:55:31 »
I'd have to say lubed Holy Pandas if I had to choose one. They satisfy on a lot of levels. Honorable mentions to lubed Creams for linears and Box Navies for clickies -- they are both endgame switches in their respective classes for me.

Offline mkkeyboardvigilante

• Location: Atlanta, GA, thocking, clicking, and clacking away depending on my mood
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 15:09:37 »
If I really had to, Topre, but it would also depend on what kind of plate we're talking here. I sort of do prefer the plastic now on the HHKB vs the metal plates on Realforce boards if I'm being honest here. Sometimes, stock Topre feels better on other boards too to me.
Current driver: HHKB Pro 2 (BKE Ultra Lights), Wooting One w/ Flaretech Red switches and HyperX PBT keycaps.

Other keyboards I own and like: Realforce 87U Variable Weight, Realforce 87U 55g, Niz Plum, Magicforce 108 Gateron Reds w/ O-Rings.

Other keyboards I have: Magicforce 68 Cherry MX Brown, Havit Low-Profile Kailh Blue, Logitech K740,
Yeah, it's a loooooooooooot of keyboards. :P

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 13:05:06 »
Easy, ergo clears.

Late tactility, not too extreme, feel great.

Maybe I will be able to use Zealios someday, but not right now.

Honestly, I'd have said zealios if they weren't so expensive and him discontinuining v1 (the superior switch in my opinion)

I also prefer the thockier sound of cherry housings.

KBDFans Aliaz 70g feels close to 65g v1 Zealios to me.

Offline snozberries

• Aww yiss!
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:20:54 »
Topre would be my first choice. I do love typing on Healios though.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 12:08:42 »

If I really had to, Topre, but it would also depend on what kind of plate we're talking here. I sort of do prefer the plastic now on the HHKB vs the metal plates on Realforce boards if I'm being honest here. Sometimes, stock Topre feels better on other boards too to me.

Why do people like topre so much?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 15:31:46 »

I've never tried them, wouldn't know. I doubt I'll ever see a topre board in person.

For me, if we're talking a post apocalyptic scenario where you must use what you have, without repair/replacement, either Box Navy/Jade with their IP56 protection and very high switch life, or capacitive buckling spring.

If we're talking about a scenario where you have an unlimited supply of replacement parts, just all of the exact same type, then blue alps.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 22:41:48 »
Retooled blacks from a smooth batch. Unmodified. The end.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 00:54:46 »

I've never tried them, wouldn't know. I doubt I'll ever see a topre board in person.

For me, if we're talking a post apocalyptic scenario where you must use what you have, without repair/replacement, either Box Navy/Jade with their IP56 protection and very high switch life, or capacitive buckling spring.

If we're talking about a scenario where you have an unlimited supply of replacement parts, just all of the exact same type, then blue alps.

Talking about reliability, huh? Well, you can’t beat Hall effect switches; with a lifetime of over a billion keystrokes, at normal use they’d last for centuries.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #71 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 02:10:19 »
Very hard to pick but probably 62g Zilent V2s. Gateron Silent Browns and BTC Dome with sliders are high on my list though. Love my Gateron Silent Browns im typing on right now but the 62g Zilent V2s crush them in tactility. Way way too expensive for me to spend on now but if it was the only thing i could ever use i wouldnt mind spending the extra money

Offline nathanchere

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 04:14:58 »
If it's a clacky tactile board, Durock's T1s with Gateron Yellow springs are endgame-worthy. If I'm going linear, stock Healios (or Sakurios in my case) are all I can ask for.
Meme switches are fun for a while as a 'hobby' but I haven't tried anything which noticeably outshines either of the above IMO.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 09:29:03 »

Talking about reliability, huh? Well, you can’t beat Hall effect switches; with a lifetime of over a billion keystrokes, at normal use they’d last for centuries.

Yeah, that's true, but I have never used a hall effect keyboard. Are there any vintage ones that don't have some sort of arcane layout? The F AT is right on the edge of usable for me, although I suppose if it is the very last board you'll ever be able to use, that might just take some time to get accustomed to.

Another big factor was feel. I actually greatly enjoy typing on Kailh box switches and capacitive buckling spring.

The silo beam springs aren't out yet, or that would be on the table, assuming that the engineering is good.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 January 2020, 13:07:19 by Maledicted »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 12:01:50 »

ok...

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 13:12:23 »

ok...

My post was partly a response, and partly my own choices for for one switch for the rest of my life. I believe Chyros has some good Youtube videos on Topre switches, among many other things. Feel is still subjective though, so you would have to hunt one down and see for yourself.

Offline VP

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 17:35:34 »
Cherry MX Blue.

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 21:11:40 »
skcm blue, definitely. I know that there are people that basically have an orgasm whenever they hear that color and that string of letters, (nothing like topre, topre stans are on a whole other ****ing level) granted, linears are my favorite switch type. nk cream, skcc cream, and skcl green are all amazing, its just sometimes I get bored of your conventional linear. I also do not like the tactility that tactile switches produce, so I would have to say a clicky switch. the best on the market right now, meaning mx mount + Matias, would be navy thick clicks, and pink thick clicks. but nothing beats good ol' blue style alps. not that kailh box thick clicks can't have a good sound, but the conditions have to be just right. dense wood case, abs sa keycaps, aluminum switch plate. that makes this very good sounding switch basically heaven sound wise. but I think that nothing comes even close to beating skcm blue as far as sound goes, and the tactility is perfect. I know that some people would go with amber alps, and that is a contender. it has literally the sharpest tactile bump out of any switch I have seen or tried. but I don't really know as far as comparing it to blue alps. they can't all be winners, and I think I would miss my linears. its a hard choice.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 00:36:06 »
I'm probably outing myself as basic-as-f##k, but I'm gonna go with Kailh Box Whites for the moment. I have them on everything.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 02:35:34 »
I'm probably outing myself as basic-as-f##k, but I'm gonna go with Kailh Box Whites for the moment. I have them on everything.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going with box whites. Not enough tactility for me, but they're really smooth and light.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 06:58:47 »

I don't think there's anything wrong with going with box whites. Not enough tactility for me, but they're really smooth and light.

Smooth and light ? 👀👀👀

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 07:12:11 »

Smooth and light ? 👀👀👀

Yes, box whites are the lightest of the clicky box switches (unless I've missed something recently). All of the box switches are quite smooth, certainly much more smooth than Cherry MX. The tactility is more crisp as well. Box whites may be even less tactile than Cherry MX Blue though. They're light enough, with such a small bump, that I would consider them as an alternative for my Cherry MX Red board for gaming.

Offline Hayte

« Reply #82 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 10:45:26 »
MX Browns.

Mildly and consistently unsatisfying, now and forever, till death us do part. Kind of like a stable marriage.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #83 on: Sat, 11 January 2020, 23:09:45 »
MX Browns.

Mildly and consistently unsatisfying, now and forever, till death us do part. Kind of like a stable marriage.

Glutton for punishment, or your reasoning is that the feel can only improve with use and/or simply become more tactile if debri gets into the switch?

Offline Hayte

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 15:47:55 »
They are cheap, abundant, interchangeable commodity switches and that's the point. MX Browns don't have to rock my world because the question is not "whats your favourite switch?" They are far away from my favourite switch but if I can only use one switch for the rest of my life? I can rationalise how to make an MX Brown board go that distance. I will probably never need to dumpster dive for donor boards or get ripped off in the used market.

I rather like the minimal tactility on a workhorse keyboard - they don't rattle my joints during typing marathons.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 January 2020, 15:50:48 by Hayte »

Offline Disciplexeon

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 16:46:35 »
Novelkeys creams, or Gateron red inks.

Offline NoahG

« Reply #86 on: Sun, 12 January 2020, 18:12:21 »
Easy, vintage mx blacks lubed with THICC lube!  :thumb:

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 06:49:08 »

Smooth and light ? 👀👀👀

Yes, box whites are the lightest of the clicky box switches (unless I've missed something recently). All of the box switches are quite smooth, certainly much more smooth than Cherry MX. The tactility is more crisp as well. Box whites may be even less tactile than Cherry MX Blue though. They're light enough, with such a small bump, that I would consider them as an alternative for my Cherry MX Red board for gaming.

Hmmm.. i should consider them 🧐

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #88 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 08:10:06 »
Hmmm.. i should consider them 🧐

If you're sure that you want Box Whites, there are actually already retail boards available with them on Amazon for around $40. Most else in the family is a custom affair. What specifically are you looking for though? Box Whites, to me, seem less tactile than Cherry MX Blue. They are very smooth though, and what tactility there is is crisp, unlike Cherry MX.

I would consider them for a hybrid setup, a keyboard I would mostly use for gaming, but wouldn't mind typing on extensively either. I could see them being better than Cherry MX Red in that role myself, but some might still mind the tiny click and tactile bump in games. Otherwise, I'm all for Box thick clicks.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #89 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 08:23:51 »

For me, I have several reasons.  One, is that they feel really stable (very little key wobble).  Two, the feel of typing on a quality rubber dome that gives out at just the right point has a feeling of rightness to it.  It isnt just a linear mush press, it has a nice and supple tactile feel that has been described as typing on boobs or clouds or whatever analogy of nice rubbery goodness you can think of.  I think people with mechanical keyboards can sometimes dismiss rubber domes entirely, because the technology has very thoroughly ruined mass production keyboards, but rubber domes arent inherently bad.  Another thing I like about it is that it is not too loud, so if you are typing where others might be bothered, it isn't loud enough to piss them off (they arent silent like regular rubber domes, but they are definitely unobtrusive).  To me, Topre represents what the rubber dome era originally had in mind when it meant to maintain good tactile feel while getting rid of switch noise.  But they aren't silent, and have a nice muffled keyboard click that is just the right amount of loudness.  Overall just a joy to type on. 

As for the original question, id probably pick 55g Topre. If I were always isolated and didn't need to worry about noise, id pick buckling springs.  I have yet to type on a switch that I like more, but they are a little obnoxious.  If I didn't grow up in the Model M era, id probably find them loud and annoying, but something about the sound just makes me think "yes, this is what a keyboard is". 

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 09:19:10 »
For me, I have several reasons.  One, is that they feel really stable (very little key wobble).  Two, the feel of typing on a quality rubber dome that gives out at just the right point has a feeling of rightness to it.  It isnt just a linear mush press, it has a nice and supple tactile feel that has been described as typing on boobs or clouds or whatever analogy of nice rubbery goodness you can think of.  I think people with mechanical keyboards can sometimes dismiss rubber domes entirely, because the technology has very thoroughly ruined mass production keyboards, but rubber domes arent inherently bad.  Another thing I like about it is that it is not too loud, so if you are typing where others might be bothered, it isn't loud enough to piss them off (they arent silent like regular rubber domes, but they are definitely unobtrusive).  To me, Topre represents what the rubber dome era originally had in mind when it meant to maintain good tactile feel while getting rid of switch noise.  But they aren't silent, and have a nice muffled keyboard click that is just the right amount of loudness.  Overall just a joy to type on. 

As for the original question, id probably pick 55g Topre. If I were always isolated and didn't need to worry about noise, id pick buckling springs.  I have yet to type on a switch that I like more, but they are a little obnoxious.  If I didn't grow up in the Model M era, id probably find them loud and annoying, but something about the sound just makes me think "yes, this is what a keyboard is".

I'll have to find a meetup and try a Topre board some day. It seems to me that typing is no fun if it doesn't set off car alarms, but my mind is open.

Offline eternalmetal

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:03:54 »

I'll have to find a meetup and try a Topre board some day. It seems to me that typing is no fun if it doesn't set off car alarms, but my mind is open.

It is definitely a more subdued kind of typing compared to clicky switches, but it is also the type of board you would rather use at 2 AM.  Even compared with my new Model F it will still be in constant rotation.  I have no doubts that my Realforce will never leave my desk.  Imo any keyboard enthusiast needs to try Topre.  It's the Cadillac of keyboards without a doubt.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:32:02 »
I use Box Navies/Jades at 2 am though.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:42:51 »

Yeah, that's true, but I have never used a hall effect keyboard. Are there any vintage ones that don't have some sort of arcane layout? The F AT is right on the edge of usable for me, although I suppose if it is the very last board you'll ever be able to use, that might just take some time to get accustomed to.

Another big factor was feel. I actually greatly enjoy typing on Kailh box switches and capacitive buckling spring.

The silo beam springs aren't out yet, or that would be on the table, assuming that the engineering is good.

I can't wait to try those out! :)
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 10:53:27 »
Me too, I feel like the ping sound would be nice at first, and then irritating over a long period of time. It was like that when I used Cherry MX Blue, it was nice at the start, but I CAN'T stand those things anymore! I instantly click off any video that uses click jackets :(

I do love my white Alps though, I love how they sound like raindrops falling into a puddle. After using them for a long time, I don't think they are very heavy anymore. I gradually got used to them by linear modding them, getting used to the weight, and then click modding them back to normal. Now they sound C R U N C H Y.

If I had to use a switch for the rest of my life, it would be Amber Alps in a very thick wooden case, like the one Chyrosan has, in ergo form :)

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 12:28:32 »
Me too, I feel like the ping sound would be nice at first, and then irritating over a long period of time. It was like that when I used Cherry MX Blue, it was nice at the start, but I CAN'T stand those things anymore! I instantly click off any video that uses click jackets :(

I do love my white Alps though, I love how they sound like raindrops falling into a puddle. After using them for a long time, I don't think they are very heavy anymore. I gradually got used to them by linear modding them, getting used to the weight, and then click modding them back to normal. Now they sound C R U N C H Y.

If I had to use a switch for the rest of my life, it would be Amber Alps in a very thick wooden case, like the one Chyrosan has, in ergo form :)

Ping sound in which switch? You didn't quote anybody, so it is a little ambiguous. I still don't hate (completely) the sound of Cherry MX, but it feels like I'm typing on plastic grocery bags now. I say this as I type on them, since I have no other keyboards with usb hubs in them for this desk.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 16:34:59 »

Ping sound in which switch? You didn't quote anybody, so it is a little ambiguous. I still don't hate (completely) the sound of Cherry MX, but it feels like I'm typing on plastic grocery bags now. I say this as I type on them, since I have no other keyboards with usb hubs in them for this desk.

Whoops! I meant to quote someone who was talking about Model Fs. It might have been you, I think. Or maybe someone else.

Offline snarfarlarkus

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 16:49:52 »
If noise was not a concern then capacitive buckling spring but if it is like it is in reality, then HHKB topre forever!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 17:52:02 »
Whoops! I meant to quote someone who was talking about Model Fs. It might have been you, I think. Or maybe someone else.

I love the Model F's ping. It seems that both of my newly-modified keyboards that now have Box Jades or Navies also ping, although at different pitches. I used the F AT for weeks straight at work until I got some blue alps, so naturally those slid into the lineup for a while instead. Cherry MX never bothered me either, at least not audibly, so maybe I just like obnoxious noises.

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 18:44:12 »
The construction really does seem to have a lot to do with the ping as well.

My Bigfoot Pings quite a bit, and it's something to get used to, my F122 even on it's feet will ping a bit, but it's metal backplace seems to annihilate nearly all the ping from smaller keys, but not from the larger keys, such as backspace. (It's really obvious when I listen for it when I'm typing, as I'm typing on it now.)