Author Topic: [IC] Key 65  (Read 107169 times)

Offline SolidCactus

Re: [IC] NR65 - the first 65% by Fox Lab (logo removed)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 07:56:01 »
The logo on the top right corner will be removed. New renders will be coming soon. Stay tuned.
Are you going to remake it or remove it completly? I like the 65% boards with those logos, it a beautiful way to brand them

I personally want to remove it and make it a key or rotary encoder.

Rotary encoder would be awesome in my view!

Also, that e-cyan color looks incredible! I would grab that immediately. Will it be available as part of this buy @senter?
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2019, 07:57:46 by SolidCactus »

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 07:58:50 »

Also, that e-cyan color looks incredible! I would grab that immediately. Will it be available as part of this buy @senter?

Yes

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:05:22 »
Nice to hear about the logo. I'm curious if you have a plan to improve QC with the polycarbonate cases going forward - it looked like there were a number of leaf60 poly cases that were heavily scratched. I'm considering a poly board as a lighter option to bring to work so am curious :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:07:12 by ramblinrose »

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:10:24 »

I personally really like top right branding, I'd really like to see it stay under a different logo if nothing else - I understand if you remove it though of course, and rotary encoders are kinda cool too even though I find them to be a little "flavour of the month" and maybe overdone right now.

None of that is too big of a deal if you offer that Tiffany blue/teal e-coating though, because I'm getting one no matter what if that's offered regardless of what happens with the logo situation.

Offline dk4one

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:12:41 »
I personally like a logo a lot, just not the "NR" logo. I think a fox of some sort with brass insert is nice. I never like a knob. It looks so intruding. Classic logo with insert is always the best.

Offline SolidCactus

« Reply #105 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:18:17 »

Yes

Awesome, thanks for letting me know. I will grab that color for sure.

Offline NRbigfoot

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:32:16 »
I personally like a logo a lot, just not the "NR" logo. I think a fox of some sort with brass insert is nice. I never like a knob. It looks so intruding. Classic logo with insert is always the best.

I agree about blocker with insert over key/knob, although I didn't mind the NR logo there
HBCP | FLX Virgo | aanzee | Mira SE | Leaf 80 | HHKB pro 1 | qxp | Rukia | IDB60 | equinox | No1Rev1 | Whale | Montage | 268.2 | Anniversary Whale | Jer80 | Evolv

Offline kitty

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:49:10 »
love the colours! is the second photo you posted a rose gold ano or an e-pink colour?

Offline sapphyr

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:54:05 »

option for a key or a rotary encoder would be awesome.

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:56:20 »
The logo on the top right corner will be removed. New renders will be coming soon. Stay tuned.
Are you going to remake it or remove it completly? I like the 65% boards with those logos, it a beautiful way to brand them

This just made my day.

Not everyone likes the idea of a rotary encoder but I see from the renders that the plate and PCB could have the footprint for it and a brass logo could be inserted if people prefer that.

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 08:58:29 »

I'd like to provide two PCB versions as we did before.
One version will be the HS MX switch version, regular 2u BS adn 7u spacebar.
Another version will be the non-HS, multiple layouts supporting, ALPS (and maybe more) switches supporting version. I like split spacebar so definitely yes for it. Not sure about split BS.

Will you support the ISO layout?

Whitefox|Granite    Tex Yoda II     Exent | dev/tty      MX Master       Planck|Big Bang

Offline fractl

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:31:33 »

If the logo is replaced by an additional key, I will definitely be in.  No branding or gimmicks, just the full compliment of keys that makes 65% ideal for me, that would be wonderful.  Not to project my desires on others, but I suspect it would suit the largest number of people.

Both hot-swap and split-spacebar PCBs is exciting as well.  It would be tempting to get both.  I look forward to seeing what the layout options are on the split-spacebar PCB.

What I wouldn't give for two hot-swap PCBs, one with a split spacebar option, like the Clueboard LP.  I love that option, but do not find the low-profile Clueboard appealing.

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:38:20 »
Nice to hear about the logo. I'm curious if you have a plan to improve QC with the polycarbonate cases going forward - it looked like there were a number of leaf60 poly cases that were heavily scratched. I'm considering a poly board as a lighter option to bring to work so am curious :)

Thanks for bringing this up. We're always improving the QC. However, it's also true that oversight happens, especially when there are too many orders and too many options. Instead of desperately trying to improve the QC, I try to improve the quality from the root. Take PVD finish as an example, I would abandon this finish completely and use other finishes which are much easier to be made perfectly. The anodizing holes and rubber inserts mentioned in the OP are for the same logic.

The scratches on several PC Leaf60 was another story. There were 4 or 5 PC cases didn't come out good originally. They turned into good shape after wet sanding. Apparently, they are not good after completely drying. Now I learned that PC cases must be made perfect in the first place.

Another potential issue of PC you didn't mention is the warping on top cases. Some PC leaf60 top cases were slightly warped. I shipped out them as A-stock cause they are good after screws are fastened. There were no serious complaints about this afaik. Some people are not completely happy tho. I haven't found a good solution for this expect QC. I will declare this issue to those who still want the PC case in this GB.

Offline victorpre

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:47:22 »

Please, make a rotary encoder.

How about the logo in the back, does that remain?

No chances of changing the font or style?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline senter

• * Maker
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:52:34 »
Guys. Given the diverse opinions towards the top-right logo/key, I may provide both. The no-logo top case will have WKL option but the logo top will not. I don't want to make 4 versions of the top case LOL

The logo version still needs a logo design. For this specific design, I personally like it to be simple and am not passionate about the logo design. I've put most of my effort on the material experimenting and structure design. More suggestions will be appreciated.

Offline orim23

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:54:33 »
Is there a reason why the front bezel is so thick compared to the sides?

Also, rotary or a small fox logo would be great!

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #116 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:58:44 »
Guys. Given the diverse opinions towards the top-right logo/key, I may provide both. The no-logo top case will have WKL option but the logo top will not. I don't want to make 4 versions of the top case LOL

The logo version still needs a logo design. For this specific design, I personally like it to be simple and am not passionate about the logo design. I've put most of my effort on the material experimenting and structure design. More suggestions will be appreciated.

awesome, definitely in for one with a logo!

Offline Incarnius26

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:01:06 »
I’d definitely prefer one with a logo. A clean simple one like the Kyuu is something I’d be really interested in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dk4one

« Reply #118 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:03:49 »

How about the reverse? WKL with logo and non-WKL with knob?  :cool:

Offline prototype26

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:12:15 »
Definitely go for the fox logo! Someone else showed a google image which I think will fit this perfectly. The bottom logo is fine I guess, but it could definitely be better.

Offline ramblinrose

« Reply #120 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:27:48 »

Thanks for bringing this up. We're always improving the QC. However, it's also true that oversight happens, especially when there are too many orders and too many options. Instead of desperately trying to improve the QC, I try to improve the quality from the root. Take PVD finish as an example, I would abandon this finish completely and use other finishes which are much easier to be made perfectly. The anodizing holes and rubber inserts mentioned in the OP are for the same logic.

The scratches on several PC Leaf60 was another story. There were 4 or 5 PC cases didn't come out good originally. They turned into good shape after wet sanding. Apparently, they are not good after completely drying. Now I learned that PC cases must be made perfect in the first place.

Another potential issue of PC you didn't mention is the warping on top cases. Some PC leaf60 top cases were slightly warped. I shipped out them as A-stock cause they are good after screws are fastened. There were no serious complaints about this afaik. Some people are not completely happy tho. I haven't found a good solution for this expect QC. I will declare this issue to those who still want the PC case in this GB.

Good to know - I appreciate the thorough response.

Offline Vireca

Re: [IC] NR65 - the first 65% by Fox Lab
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:28:38 »
Are you going to be machining blocks of G10, it are you somehow laying it up in the shape of the case?

CNC milling G10 blocks is the plan. The factory told me it will work. We'll decide after we get the prototypes.

How is the G10 finish? Are you going yo show any prototype? Never saw a board with that material

Offline Cresc3nt

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 10:37:45 »
I love the idea of a mini fox logo instead of a rotary encoder.

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:09:17 »
+1 for fox logo

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:21:15 »
I love the idea of a mini fox logo instead of a rotary encoder.
+1 not the hugest fan of a rotary encoder, so having the option with or without it would be nice!

Offline Butterface23

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:33:01 »
I'm definitely down for this, particularly at that price too.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:39:15 »
Yeah I think a simplified Fox Logo would work really well. I definitely prefer blocker/logo to a rotary encoder.

Offline moonux

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:49:19 »
+1 for fox logo instead of encoder

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline Top Gear

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 12:28:11 »
Very goood!

Offline eyedrop

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 12:37:23 »
What about that (x) on your avatar as the logo?

Offline fractl

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 12:58:19 »
What about that (x) on your avatar as the logo?

That's the 'o' and the 'x' from Fox, with the 'f' before it.  I like the design as well, but wouldn't that be calling the keyboard an 'ox'?

Offline ptrick3

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 15:35:55 »
Nice to hear about the logo removal from top right. I hadn't been interested before, but I'll watch this for updates from now on to see how decisions play out. 65's are my favorite layout, and the mod layout on bottom row is appealing on this.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 16:02:20 »
It' a great design and I love it. However I'm stuck between this and the Polaris. Scared to lose the dedicated arrow keys, coz I don't type that much

But this would be $30 (price difference) + $40 (shipping) + whatever Indian customs charges me more expensive than Polaris.

Is it possible to lower the price?

Offline Slimjim095

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 16:27:16 »
Would definitely want a logo, but just a more aesthetic one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dk4one

« Reply #134 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 16:56:48 »
Yep logo please. Also please provide both layouts (WKL and WK) for logo. Logo + WKL is must buy for me, otherwise I'd have to skip. Really not feeling the rotary encoder. Its janky, requires a lot of effort to make it right, and even so, would require even more money on top to get a good quality knob....

Offline o3okevin

« Reply #135 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 19:23:57 »
Leaf or fox logo would be great :)

Offline prototype26

« Reply #136 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 19:36:13 »
Btw does this have 7 degree typing angle?

Offline evorus5

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 20:15:19 »
+ 1 for leaf logo

Offline Kingjunguhn

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 22:20:17 »
Any idea when group buy will start?
url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=107845.0][/url

Offline steviechungus

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 22:30:41 »
I agree with having the logo but not the same one. Encoder is NOT a good idea and takes away from the aesthetic of the board. Like others have said, it’s janky, very FOTM imo, and will raise the overall price of the board, which is currently one of it’s main drawing points. I think it’ll look very similar to the Kyuu and 910 but there’s a reason why they’re such coveted boards. Their design is tasteful and balanced and emulating them while bringing in upgraded materials and mounting scheme will push this board into the GOAT category.

Offline PotatoTM

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 23:57:55 »
Love how you've responded to feedback but in the end I hope you make something you want instead of what everyone else wants. Excited for GB!

Offline snaranda0305

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 01:24:27 »
+1 for Fox logo,

Offline 0x2a

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 02:06:25 »
GO FOX GO!

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 02:24:36 »
+1fox

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #144 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 03:53:28 »
Since this is all Opinion based...
+to fox from my side, too! :)

Offline orim23

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 04:30:29 »
when we are on it:
+ 1 fox logo

will look better and cleaner than a rotary encoder.

Offline sachin3767

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 05:28:03 »
boo, you knobby haters!!

but on a serious note, I don't see it as a FOTM because it's been around for years. The first time I got into mech keyboards was when I saw the DAS keyboards, just the full size wasn't for me. I very quickly came across GH and custom boards.

aesthetically it can be done really well, take the Satisfaction 75 and VN66 as an example and look at the timberwolf renders. I guess it is a matter of opinion.

I also appreciate that QMK needs to go some way before we can go beyond just volume control. I'd hope to think we can do other things with it, such as video or music editing, photo editing - similar to the ideas of the surface dial. But I digress.

Offline orim23

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 06:21:09 »
boo, you knobby haters!!

but on a serious note, I don't see it as a FOTM because it's been around for years. The first time I got into mech keyboards was when I saw the DAS keyboards, just the full size wasn't for me. I very quickly came across GH and custom boards.

aesthetically it can be done really well, take the Satisfaction 75 and VN66 as an example and look at the timberwolf renders. I guess it is a matter of opinion.

I also appreciate that QMK needs to go some way before we can go beyond just volume control. I'd hope to think we can do other things with it, such as video or music editing, photo editing - similar to the ideas of the surface dial. But I digress.
Agreed, rotary can be done nicely. its just that i dont see that happening with the current design of the "fox65". a rotary would need some blank space around it to look god.

Offline dk4one

« Reply #148 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 06:31:09 »
I'm not against rotary knob, but if the logo option is there, it will always be a better pick for me. The problem with a rotary knob I can see is that it would require a lot of effort to make it right. And even so, getting a CNC milled knob on top will just push the price even further (if anything, I'd expect a knob to be in the neighborhood of $40 to 560 on top, with brass knob even more expensive...). I'd rather just use that to upgrade the kit components to a brass weight AND brass plate.

+1 Logo all the way. And please, toss in WKL as an option  :)

Offline Sissy

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 07:15:37 »
I liked the NR logo and would much prefer having a logo there over a key or just blank, my biggest dislike of 65 and 75% boards is how they tend to look like a block of chocolate if it is all just keys.