Author Topic: Advice Sought: Serial/DB-9 to USB Converter for serial trackball  (Read 14578 times)

Offline Stupidface

• Looks like I picked the wrong week to joinGeekhack
(or DE-9, if you like)

I am seeking an inexpensive converter that will convert this connector (female DB-9):

225351-0

(Photo credit: Not me.)

...to USB in order to allow a very old one-button serial trackball to run on a USB-only machine.

The catch?  The converter cannot require software drivers* to operate.

Is this possible?  Any useful tips or advice would be welcome; I am completely at sea.

*If you must know, it's because the machine is running OS X 10.5, (Don't ask) making it highly unlikely that drivers would be available.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2019, 00:33:29 by Stupidface »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Advice Sought: Serial/DB-9 to USB Converter for serial trackball
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 August 2019, 01:59:47 »
There's pretty much only two types of serial to usb converters, cheap pass through and more expensive translators, the latter usually needs software.
If a cheap one doesn't work, then you are going to have to get the more expensive converters, it's just how it is.

There is two alternatives to this.
Some boards have a serial port header on it, but not the port (just pins), if so you can just buy a header which sits in a pci slot. The other option is a serial port pcie adapter. Both will probably run on OS drivers.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline typo

Re: Advice Sought: Serial/DB-9 to USB Converter for serial trackball
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 12:13:25 »
the "insignia" one at Best buy of all things was a very good one that never failed me. I am not sure if they still have it. You will know if it is the right one because it shows up as "prolific" and does not require any software other than the driver windows automatically installs. As far as OSX I would imagine it works the same way. Although if the machine it not online and cannot grab the driver you may have an issue.