Author Topic: Brown cherries, meh.  (Read 16176 times)

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:01:40 »
So after typing for about a week on these new brown cherries I can honestly say that I am NOT a fan. To me these feel like rubber dome switches because I probably have a very hard key stroke. This is a new board but I don't feel the tactile response that all the fancy charts talk about. I've been typing on a '92 IBM model M for some time now and I will reach for it. I also will say that I like my SMK white rounds over the browns. Maybe it is the silent nature but because I have such a hard keystroke I cannot feel the bump and simply need the noise. I'm a bit dissapointed with these to be honest. They just feel the same as domes to me.

Other than having a spring inside why are browns liked so much? They feel the same as other generic boards to me. Hey to each their own, I can respect people's likes and dislikes.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:04:20 by Pixel_Outlaw »
Brown and black are the colors of cowardice. May my springs shake the heavens!

Offline Nonmouse

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:22:19 »
If you pound on your board, you're not going to like Cherry browns.  They're for people with a bit of subtly and restraint.

Me, I can feel the actuation point, and I never trip a key by "resting my fingers on the board"  (I hear this, but seriously can't comprehend it- it takes pretty noticeable force to push the key down.)

If they're not your thing, though, try the Blues, or even the whites.  The whites are not clicky, but have  a heavier key weight and more noticeable actuation point.  The blues, of clourse, click.

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:22:47 »
I guess, that they are labeled as tactile and it felt as through I was typing on the bosoms of ghosts. I guess I am confusing something being tactile with something that gives firm feedback such as sound when really they are two different things if you are a light typist. I don't know that I really pound on the keys but I do bottom out most of the time. I lift bricks into trucks all day long and maybe the muscles in my forearms causes my typing style. If I try to type lightly it does hurt after a while. I would not say I type like that angry German kid on Youtube however. (What board is he using I wonder?)

I don't have a keystroke quite this firm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbcctWbC8Q0
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:35:25 by Pixel_Outlaw »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:29:03 »
My own experience, comparing my views on assorted keyboards against what people write on here, is that if you're primarily a buckling spring user you won't enjoy lighter keyboards (unless you find the M a bit too rough as it is).

It's probably safe to make the assumption that if you really like your Model M, you should stay away from brown Cherry MXs.

Without having (and without intending to have) such a keyboard, I can't say for sure, but this isn't the first time someone has found the tactility on browns way too light (and I think the last time I read a similar complaint it was also a Model M user...I think)
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline Hamburglar

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:30:29 »
If you're looking for a sound then you probably want the Blues.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoiFNqPMQxI
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Tactile Click Otaku
Happy Hacking Professional 2

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:41:59 »
Does anyone have data on the round SMK whites? I assume they are very close to the Cherry blues and they are on one of my other mechanical boards. I would like to see how they compare as they seem to be close from what people have said here. It is interesting that Cherry puts so much information and detail into their product research. These browns seem like a well made switch but again, I'm making many mistakes. I plan to stick to the buckling spring until I can try Cherry blues.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:46:28 by Pixel_Outlaw »

Offline mrbill

• http://weblog.mrbill.net
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:43:21 »
Quote from: ripster;190809
Well, they're liked.  But not as much as Clicky Blues or Buckling Springs.

Ever since I got my Filco Tenkeyless boards w/Browns, I've not touched my 104-key Filco w/Blues.  Anybody got a "brown" filco they'll trade straight for a "blue"? :smile:
Keyboards:
IBM Model Ms: 51G8572 (\'94, \'96), 1391401 (\'90), 1369050 (\'95, Dell), 1394946 (\'89 Industrial)
Unicomp Model Ms:  Customizer 104, SpaceSaver 104
Chicony: KB-5181, KB-5191
Cherry:  MX11800 (x2), G86-6241 "Ricercar SPOS"
Filco: FKBN87M/EB x2, Cherry Browns
Sold: Matias Tactile Pro 1.0 (x2), Kensington Studioboard Mechanical, Scorpius M10, AEK II (x2), Compaq 11900 (x2), IBM Model F (AT), Filco FKB104MC/EB
Available Free for Cost of Shipping: ABS M1, Solidtek KB-6600ABU, KeyTronic KB101Plus

Offline maxlugar

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:47:01 »
Quote from: Pixel_Outlaw;190813
I guess, that they are labeled as tactile and it felt as through I was typing on the bosoms of ghosts. I guess I am confusing something being tactile with something that gives firm feedback such as sound when really they are two different things if you are a light typist.

With Cherry MX Brown key switches, the tactile feel is extremely subtle.  They feel almost linear to me.  The tactile bump feels like a small bit of friction in the key press...like a little piece of grit got stuck in the switch.

IMO, the tactile feedback from Topre key switches ("snap of cup rubber") is much more reassuring.

I don't get people who pride themselves on learning to find the subtle point of actuation when typing.  Intentionally trying not to bottom out when typing would only slow me down.

I don't hate Brown Cherries, but I personally prefer less subtle tactility.
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 01:51:05 »
Quote from: maxlugar;190827
I don't hate Brown Cherries, but I personally prefer less subtle tactility.

Click-ping!
kishy.ca

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 02:45:39 »
I like the browns quite a bit.  Feels like you just flick your fingers at the keys to get them to actuate.

Regarding bottoming out...if you are hitting bottom, full force, then the tactility is doing nothing for you.  At the very least, the tactile feedback should allow you to start easing up once you actuate the key...

Offline hyperlinked

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 03:06:42 »
As a few people have already mentioned, it's just very hard to feel the tactile point of Browns and like maxlugar, I find it pointless to try and feel it. I type on Browns for their light resistance though I do occasionally have a problem with accidentally actuating the switches with my fingers resting on them (which I try not to do because that creates tension that hurts my hands).

I haven't tried Topres yet, but so far Browns are my favorites by a significant margin, but then again the only problem I have with domes is that they stiffen, catch, and begin performing erratically once you start pounding on them otherwise I probably wouldn't care.

Nonmouse, I actually do pound on my board when I really need to type full speed and maybe that's why I like having a light switch because otherwise I'd be pounding a lot harder. It might be that I'm subconsciously adjusting to the actuation point though.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rusty Rat

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 03:25:52 »
I am 48 hours into a Filco with Blue cherries after coming from a Model M. Cherry Blacks feel like a BS keyboard filled with toothpaste instead of springs. Apart from half the number of clicks I am surprised at just how quickly I have adjusted to this new board. Less pressure to actuate sure but after years of proper keyboards and rubber domes and related nonsense this keyboard is a real pleasure to type on.

The cherry blues may be the closest thing to a BS keyboard?

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 05:08:51 »
Quote from: iMav;190838
I like the browns quite a bit.  Feels like you just flick your fingers at the keys to get them to actuate.

Regarding bottoming out...if you are hitting bottom, full force, then the tactility is doing nothing for you.  At the very least, the tactile feedback should allow you to start easing up once you actuate the key...

I pretty much agree with this. I find the brown cherries really relaxing but if you want strong feed back and resistance then probably it's not the board for you. Although the sound is addicting bottoming out or not =)

I don't avoid bottoming out but I do find it comes somewhat naturally when using this type of switch.

Perhaps the cherry clears would be a better fit it the OP wanted to stay with cherry switches. I have noticed that with browns or clears when the spring is stronger it feels much, MUCH more tactile. I figure it's worth mentioning since it's an option often overlooked.

=)
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline low-fi

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 06:05:21 »
I had a Filco with brown cherries, gave it a couple of months and ended up hating it a lot. Brown cherries just suck. Yes, you'll eventually learn how to type on them without bottoming out, but then you'll have to be kinda careful with your fingers which results in slower typing. I never felt totally comfortable typing on the browns, I always had accidential keypresses at totally random situations and the overall key feel isn't all that great to begin with. I actually prefer almost all rubber domes over browns. I might give PCB-mounted browns a shot someday, though..

Offline low-fi

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 06:09:56 »
Quote from: Rusty Rat;190844

The cherry blues may be the closest thing to a BS keyboard?

Not really, but I liked the blues instantly after using BS 'boards for a long time. They are somewhat similiar.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 11:37:39 »
What a Keytronics might feel like?

Company name is Key Tronic...so...a Keytronics is something we've never heard of.

In my opinion the SmarTrex does feel similar to that '97 Key Tronic I sold for 5 bucks.
kishy.ca

Offline SpatiallyAware

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 11:41:51 »
FWIW..  I sorta suspect that the way Filco coats the keys (while on the board) creates the need for a bit of break-in.  It took a good 2-3 hours of typing (plus I actually unplugged it and repeatedly pressed the keys while watching a movie) before the tactile'ness' seemed to be noticeable.

I also noticed that some keys felt different for awhile..  One in particular seemed to have no 'bump' at all until broken in.

I've typed on blues, browns, and blacks.  I like the blues the best, but I think the browns are a bit better for FPS gaming (for me)

It's all highly personal.. some people hate the blues and love the browns and vice versa.

Offline audioave10

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 11:42:22 »
I am a hard typist (not a good one) and I like the Deck cherry blacks I have. After getting the G80 with Cherry Blues however, its much more comfortable for typing. The Deck will stay as my gaming board. How these feel to me, and the good info here has convinced me to get a tenkeyless with Blues and avoid the Browns. I am glad for the difference in tactility, which allows alot of different choices.
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 11:51:59 »
Quote from: ripster;190929
I was gonna put in a plug for your SmarTrex listing but since you're so picky I won't bother.

And to think I was going to mail you a special gift...
kishy.ca

Offline itlnstln

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 11:54:40 »
Quote from: kishy;190939
And to think I was going to mail you a special gift...

I have a special gift for you guys...

Just in time for the World Cup, too.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 12:04:17 »
Unless I'm mistaken, that kid's Dutch (Feyenoord Rotterdam?).

Is there something you'd like to tell us itlnstln?
kishy.ca

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 14:26:31 »
ripster, in all your chart posting wisdom, where is the info on my white SMK switches? Am I the only one to have these things? I want to know how close these are to Cherry blues. As I said with the browns I can't feel the bump so it becomes more about the click and the SMK whites are the loudest I have they feel pretty linear.

Offline AvengeR

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 14:38:41 »
Quote from: ripster;190918
Technically probably no - maybe Montereys.  In terms of popularity I'd say yes.

I think when picking a softer switch when you are used to Buckling Springs can get you into trouble.  I dub this..

The Valley Of Switch Death

Show Image

Notice it works both ways.  I don't think Buckling Springs on a Model M is necessarily the best keyboard any more to advocate to Mechanical Keyboard Noobies if they have been raised on rubber domes.  Model Ms in good shape are getting spendy and they have always been a bit more tiring.

I'm pretty comfortable changing it up.  For the last couple of days I've been typing on a Unicomp Rubber Dome Model M just to try out what a Keytronics might feel like.

I have always wondered what force would have an "average" (if possible) rubber dome kb (too lazy to do the ripometer test)

Offline hyperlinked

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 15:11:08 »
Quote from: AvengeR;190986
I have always wondered what force would have an "average" (if possible) rubber dome kb (too lazy to do the ripometer test)

Most of my rubber domes that I've tested are in the 55g neighborhood... but I don't go around testing every board I see.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Rajagra

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 15:21:06 »
I agree that brown Cherries have very, very subtle tactile feel - almost subliminal you might say. (That's what makes them so sublime, :lol:.)

But that doesn't mean they feel like rubber domes. That's just crazy talk, I've never tried a rubber dome board that felt anything like Cherry browns. Some shared attributes, maybe. But not enough to say they are alike.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 15:23:24 by Rajagra »

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 15:56:19 »
Cherry browns definitely don't feel like rubber domes.  That's like saying scissor switches, cherry blacks and cherry reds feel like rubber domes.  The brown cherries are consistent and lighter.  
I know browns aren't for everyone, especially not someone who prefers a higher resistance clicky board.
Just like clicky isn't for me, although the Geek Hack space saver is tempting.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 June 2010, 20:06:30 by washuai »
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline hyperlinked

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 16:47:15 »
Quote from: ripster;191001
Walk around with a 50 g weight and a bunch of American nickels.  If the cops stop you show them your Geekhack key.

Oh great, one more thing to lug around. I'll never remember to carry it. I'll have to find a 50g wrist watch or maybe I'll steal a hood ornament, shave it down to 50g, glue the GeekHack key to it and be tha Keyboard Thug.

Anyway, as to the Browns feel like domes comment. I suppose pixel was just shouting out in frustration, but to be fair, some domes don't feel too far off from a Brown. They don't sound anything like a Brown, but any of the domes that I'd consider using are probably feel more like a Brown than not.
-

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 18:51:31 »
My last dome board was a Key Tronic (IBM case clone) from the mid 90's. Oddly enough it provided a bit more resistance than the browns I believe.

Offline spolia optima

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 08 June 2010, 21:19:39 »
Brown cherries FTMFW
I prefer them over blues because, as iMav pointed out, a light tap is all that's required for actuation. they're quite smooth, fast, and no thinking or listening is needed. just let your fingers fly!
keyboards!

Offline Rusty Rat

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 00:30:43 »
Quote from: ripster;190949

Did you know that the US is the largest group of foreigners visiting South Africa for the games.  You europeans should be ashamed.  First we obliterate your culture and then we steal your favorite game.

Cor Bloody Blimey with a population many times larger larger than most European Countries you might even have a tiny chance. How about Australia vs USA in Cricket - our 22 million vs your 310 million pool of potential players?
(Cricket - game of skill and intricate planning played by gentlemen)

Offline platon

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 05:00:16 »
Quote from: spolia optima;191122
Brown cherries FTMFW
I prefer them over blues because, as iMav pointed out, a light tap is all that's required for actuation. they're quite smooth, fast, and no thinking or listening is needed. just let your fingers fly!

Browniez are for people who acknowledge the fact that there is no need to physically punish their keyboard and their fingers in order to register a keystroke.
Filco Majestouch brown no nkro, Filco tenkeyless white lettered with browns, IBM Model M 1392934 Space Saving \'91 x 2, Cherry G80-3000 LSCEU-2, Chicony KB-5181, SGI Granite 9500900, IBM Model M 52G9658 \'94, HHKB Lite 2 for Mac, SGI RT6856T (rubber dome), Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, CH DT225 trackball, SGI 063-0009-001 mouse

Offline Guardian

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 05:27:15 »
Quote from: ripster;191193
Cricket.
Show Image

Grasshopper.

Cricket:
Keyboards:
Elbowglue SPOS (Cherry Black)
SIIG Minitouch (ALPS White)
Compaq MX11800 (Cherry Browns)

Offline kriminal

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 05:28:05 »
comparing cherry browns to rubberdomes..... ppffftt what nonsense....
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Rusty Rat

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 05:58:09 »
Quote from: Guardian;191218
Grasshopper.

Cricket:
Show Image

Did anybody notice that Ponting's cricket bat is actually a highly modified Model M with a handle. Now you know the secret of why Aussies win at cricket.

Offline kriminal

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 07:08:10 »
the fact that you guys know what cricket is.. means you are not americans...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline washuai

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 13:34:15 »
This is what American's think cricket is.  I have to admit, I've never actually seen cricket equipment or people playing it.  I think it is a hoax.
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline lmnop

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 13:47:34 »

Offline Rajagra

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:11:40 »
Quote from: washuai;191317
This is what American's think cricket is.

This is what Americans think football is.

The clue is in the name, but they won't take the hint. :smile:

Offline washuai

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:25:52 »
We use our feet:

Seriously, even though I'm American, it has always bothered me that nancy rugby is called football, even as a kid, if only because I liked playing soccer.

More foot use (Picture is on the topic of brown cherries, right?):

✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline Rajagra

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:36:24 »
The original shock and awe. Those few seconds before the pain sets in - and you know it will - are the most psychologically damaging.

Offline Rusty Rat

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:39:19 »
Quote from: washuai;191317
This is what American's think cricket is.  I have to admit, I've never actually seen cricket equipment or people playing it.  I think it is a hoax.

****e , you may know about keyboards but cricket – wah! But then again it’s a game played by gentlemen with an added advantage of ‘sledging’ (another Australian sport). Aussies have always been very inventive and you must admit that a model M can serve two purposes, typing on and winning cricket matches.
Sledging – how about the US sends a senior cricket team here and we will choose a junior school side to give you an even chance? We will even let you bring your old Model M’s to play with. (Cricket rules specify Model Ms only – see Aussies are civilised)

Offline Mental Hobbit

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 18:45:35 »
Quote from: Rajagra;191408
This is what Americans think football is.

The clue is in the name, but they won't take the hint. :smile:

Actually there are two clues in the name, but they won't take either.
Typing on blues.

Offline TexasFlood

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 19:52:13 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;191429
Actually there are two clues in the name, but they won't take either.
I grew up in a small town in South Texas, so clearly football means only one thing, :wink:.

My neighbor was a kicker, which involves kicking a BALL with your FOOT, :smile:.  I used to chase his kicks down the street.  Clearly he got the better part of that deal.

He was a local star, went on to be a college star, set the still unbroken NCAA record for the longest field goal, was drafted in the first round in what is still the highest selection of a kicker in the NFL draft, was convicted of securities fraud and sentenced to 7 years in federal prison.  Clearly he took a wrong turn later in his career but had that FOOT-BALL part down pretty well for quite a while, :biggrin:
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2010, 20:01:01 by TexasFlood »

Offline Pixel_Outlaw

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 20:11:29 »

Offline TexasFlood

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 20:39:58 »
Mea culpa

Mea lika

Mea needa CS5

Offline hyperlinked

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #45 on: Wed, 09 June 2010, 22:37:49 »
Quote from: Rajagra;191421
The original shock and awe. Those few seconds before the pain sets in - and you know it will - are the most psychologically damaging.

Oooooohh.... definitely not worth saving 3 pts... even with a cup.

A friend of mine was a lacrosse goalie. He couldn't find his cup one day before a game and just decided he'd take his chances.

That is a very very brave man.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 June 2010, 22:40:55 by hyperlinked »
-

Offline Rusty Rat

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 00:32:29 »
Quote from: ripster;191486
Good point. Those guys keep going OT.

Here is a summary of this thread for late comers.
Show Image

The new CS5 "refine extraction" tool is slick as snot.

Hey ripster there is mention of keyboards in there somewhere and then you put in a picture of Kirstie Alley to really take it OT.

Offline aegrotatio

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 11:12:13 »
Bumping back to topic at hand...

I'm having a hard time feeling the tactile bump of my ABS M1 keyboard.  I still feel like it actuates when the keys bottom out but I know it doesn't.

Which would this ALPS-clone keyboard compare to: Cherry Brown or Black?
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
the forgotten mascots
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 17:49:56 »
What ripster REALLY meant was this:

Hey I have a kimono just like Benny's. Move over L Ron, I'm gonna be a star.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline washuai

Brown cherries, meh.
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 June 2010, 21:40:33 »
Dang it, and I thought black Alps might be the one I would like best, since they're supposed to be the least clicky.  Why do all the clicky switches get the best tactility? (Ignoring the clicky switches that are linear.)

✐Intuos or Cintiq