Author Topic: BMEK - An EM7-like Ergonomic Keyboard [on GitHub!]  (Read 2006 times)

Offline jouz

BMEK - An EM7-like Ergonomic Keyboard [on GitHub!]
« on: Sun, 20 October 2019, 19:10:09 »
BMEK is an ergonomic keyboard in the spirit of Lyn's EM7 and TGR Alice. Notable differences are the HHKB-like layout and the and the more symmetric looks due to the space bars and left key cluster arrangement.

This is a hobby project for me, mostly to toy around and learn about PCB manufacturing, CNC machining etc.
That's also why decided to put everything on GitHub:

https://github.com/Bemeier/bmek

Right now it's mostly the Gerber files + BOM. Later, I'll add the entire Eagle project files for the PCB as well as the 3D Models and Fusion360 project for the case.

I've already made a first batch of PCBs with some minor issues (got the atmega orientation wrong), but one PCB is actually working fine now :)
Within the next 2 weeks I hope to make a first case from Polycarbonate or POM on the CNC. After that I'll make a final revision of the PCB.

The case is a two piece design with the switches sitting in the top half (i.e. like the Clueboard). It's high profile and has a 3 degree angle.
In the next version of the PCB, switches can be optionally mounted with hot-swap sockets (by rotating them 180 degrees).
Some more screenshot of the case:

Offline jouz

Re: BMEK - An EM7-like Ergonomic Keyboard [on GitHub!]
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:14:56 »
Did a test run machining the top half of the case from model foam:

Bottom side of top half...

Top side of top half...

Final chamfer will cause work piece to come loose, so I screw it down in the middle

PCB Fit

Next week I'll try finish the bottom half and hopefully make it from Polycarbonate.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 04:33:15 »
This looks awesome! Love the looks. Keep us posted  :thumb:

Offline zqs1qiwan

• Dreams need money
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 October 2019, 07:26:01 »
Very impressive OP
Id like to have one if there can be a GB or something, I think the PCB will be expensive if only print few.
Keep us posted!
AKA.Q
Popping Dancer and Keyboard Lover

Offline jouz

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 November 2019, 18:48:25 »
First full polycarbonate case machined.

Still gotta work out some small things in the design.
I'm getting my second version of the PCB this week, with LEDs and hot-swap sockets.

Id like to have one if there can be a GB or something, I think the PCB will be expensive if only print few

PCB cost about 20 euros per piece (MOQ=5), thats including components, assembly, shipping and import taxes (europe) - so not that expensive. The gerber/assembly files are on my github (although I would recommend waiting a bit for me to check if this version works).

Besides the 3D/CNC files, I'm definitely planning to release files for a laser-cut version, which is much cheaper and faster to make in fablabs/order online.

If someone else is interested in running a GB for this case/PCB I'm happy to give some support!

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 09:09:46 »
so that means you have some spare pcb's left?  :cool:

Offline jouz

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 11:48:47 »
so that means you have some spare pcb's left?  :cool:

;D The current batch of PCBs is all accounted for among friends. There are some of the first version left but they have issues.
Again, if someone else wants to run & distribute a small batch, I'm happy to give some support with ordering it at jlcpcb.

Offline jouz

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 November 2019, 16:30:36 »
Quick update:

I've put the - now tested - PCB files as well as the 3D models on GitHub (https://github.com/Bemeier).

I've made a second case now ((Full album)):

Offline gorbachev

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 November 2019, 23:28:21 »
Stunning work! I will definitely build one.

Offline jouz

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 15:14:06 »
thanks! let me know if you need anything!

also, just noticed that I gave the wrong album link - here are actually more pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/tHlaMWA