Author Topic: [IC] 3D Printed 60% Keyboard Cases  (Read 8018 times)

Offline keyboardbelle

[IC] 3D Printed 60% Keyboard Cases
« on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:05:48 »
I've added some new case pre-order options and basic 60% kit parts to

www.keyboardbelle.com

More photos are on www.instagram.com/keyboardbelle_prints

The Ivory Cadette is a personal favorite, it's basically a slim Kishsaver and I raised the case height to ensure the slightly lower front still covers the keycaps.

The Carbon Fiber Matte Black Classic is a bit trickier to 3D print, so I may offer more designs in that material depending on how well the batch prints. So far my test prints have looked great.

Suggest other possible popular color options, I'll add some more cases to pre-order this month and was thinking Iron Red, Leviathan Blue Green, and Game Cartridge Gray would be good additions.

Also, is there interest in larger than 60% case kits? I'd probably offer the PCB with them to ensure compatibility, but I may can get a 65% or 75% case to print reliably if I only offer a few for pre-order at first to see how it goes.

« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:19:38 by keyboardbelle »
I ❤️ 3D Printed Cases ⌨️ Keyboardbelle.com ⌨️

Offline equalunique

Re: [IC] 3D Printed 60% Keyboard Cases
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:17:09 »
The Ivory Cadette sure does look good!

I am really impressed with the print quality of the cases you make. Currently am not looking for any 60+ cases tho.

Will 40% cases ever be offered again? Been wishing for a pair of Game Cartridge Grey Planck & MiniVan cases for a while. :)

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline enrique.aliaga

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:17:33 »
What's the inclination angle of the case? Is it flat?

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:24:39 »
What's the inclination angle of the case? Is it flat?

It is flat. I included the 5 degree wedge with the glow kits, which is the easiest way to angle the cases.

The wedge is the same size as a 60% PCB, so it should fit under any 60% case - but I usually include two tall polyurethane 10mm feet with each case print to angle the back of the case - so I may need to add those to the description.

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:27:05 »
Will 40% cases ever be offered again? Been wishing for a pair of Game Cartridge Grey Planck & MiniVan cases for a while. :)

Let me see if I can render the Planck and Minivan in these new designs.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 15:29:01 »
Do you plan to offer HHKB-like cases (with blockers)? And cases with 7-9 degree typing angle?

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 19:03:33 »
I've done taller angle wedges (for the Nouvelle run, max was an 8 degree), so they're definitely possible.

I was considering doing a custom PCB for a blocked case based on a 60% layout.

The easiest way to do blocked cases is to make sure the actual PCB is blocked so I can print solid blocks right into the case and not worry with fit.

MOQ on PCBs is about 50 I believe (?), so if enough people are interested, I could do a Interest Check on a blocked kit.

I've never done a PCB run, only 3D printed cases, but it's something I'd like to try in 2020 for sure.

Also, gasket and isolation mount is popular, so I could take advantage of a custom PCB by creating another alternative to tray mount.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 December 2019, 19:18:55 by keyboardbelle »

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 20:35:08 »
I've done taller angle wedges (for the Nouvelle run, max was an 8 degree), so they're definitely possible.

The easiest way to do blocked cases is to make sure the actual PCB is blocked so I can print solid blocks right into the case and not worry with fit.

MOQ on PCBs is about 50 I believe (?), so if enough people are interested, I could do a Interest Check on a blocked kit.

I've never done a PCB run, only 3D printed cases, but it's something I'd like to try in 2020 for sure.

Also, gasket and isolation mount is popular, so I could take advantage of a custom PCB by creating another alternative to tray mount.

Any reason you can’t assume people will use a standard HHKB/compatible PCB like DZ60 (no hotswap), YD60MQ etc? They can be ordered from AliExpress for ~$30 and work fine, have around 3 keyboards built with them.

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 01:12:46 »

Any reason you can’t assume people will use a standard HHKB/compatible PCB like DZ60 (no hotswap), YD60MQ etc? They can be ordered from AliExpress for ~$30 and work fine, have around 3 keyboards built with them.
WKL or HHKB blockered boards with universal PCBs must be two piece designs so the full size PCB fits and the top of the case covers it.

Offline ddnomad

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 01:16:20 »

WKL or HHKB blockered boards with universal PCBs must be two piece designs so the full size PCB fits and the top of the case covers it.

Yeah, but I’m not sure how that causes any issues with 3D printing. I mean it is ok to make the case 2-piece, am I right?

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 01:24:00 »
From the sounds of it running a custom PCB is somehow cheaper, so its probably a bit complex. One side of each plane is flat on the print bed, so printing the top part of the case is more challenging (not sure the exact model of printer, but more pieces would increase complexity or compromise it structurally?)

Offline ddnomad

[IC] 3D Printed 60% Keyboard Cases
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 01:28:15 »
From the sounds of it running a custom PCB is somehow cheaper, so its probably a bit complex. One side of each plane is flat on the print bed, so printing the top part of the case is more challenging (not sure the exact model of printer, but more pieces would increase complexity or compromise it structurally?)

Ahhh, I tried 3D printing once at a hackathon and it escalated into a horrible mess quite quickly lol

Hopefully OP can figure something out without running custom PCB group buy cause that sounds like an overkill :D

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 02:32:46 »
Any plans on anything bigger? guessing your 3D printer might be too small for much more but thought id ask anyway :) Like the designs you have but not 60% :P

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 20:14:01 »
I also vote for a least one or two 65% case options. A black classic or beige cadette would be great in 65%

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 19:52:14 »
65% is on the list for sure. I was thinking KBD67 - but I need to buy one of the PCBs first.

The larger you print, the more difficult it is to get good print quality, so I'll have to do some test printing first to see how well 65% does.

Also, I was pretty sure they can cut portions out of PCBs? Couldn't I get a trimmed PCB with the block parts removed and pair it with a matching FR4 plate? TBH I've spent so much time focusing on 3D printing, I haven't experimented much with PCBs.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 December 2019, 19:54:56 by keyboardbelle »

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 22 December 2019, 19:58:00 »
Forgot to add that the Carbon Fiber Cadette Case has been added to www.keyboardbelle.com for pre-order as well.

A great alternative to the Ivory Cadette if you have Pulse Noir or a similar keycap set that needs a matte black case.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 07:39:56 »
Potentially dumb question: Is there enough room in there if I decide to make the board bluetooth capable?

Offline keyboardbelle

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 10:25:28 »
I have not played with bluetooth builds yet, so probably not. I kept it fairly slim at 3mm to take advantage of the high profile.

Also, I'm not sure if there's a standard for bluetooth 60%? I perhaps need to buy an Anne Pro 2 one day and just design to that form factor.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #18 on: Mon, 23 December 2019, 17:43:29 »
I have not played with bluetooth builds yet, so probably not. I kept it fairly slim at 3mm to take advantage of the high profile.

Also, I'm not sure if there's a standard for bluetooth 60%? I perhaps need to buy an Anne Pro 2 one day and just design to that form factor.

Thanks for the reply! The Ivory Cadette is gorgeous btw.