Author Topic: Sun Microsystems Keyboard - Type 6 vs Type 7  (Read 1556 times)

Offline knightjp

Sun Microsystems Keyboard - Type 6 vs Type 7
« on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 11:54:41 »
I was randomly watching a video of youtube about the old workstations and it featured a workstation from Sun; with the keyboard and mouse. I like the keyboard layout design and because I use the Dvorak layout on Windows, I am guessing the "Cut, Copy, Paste" buttons on the left would be quite a good feature to have.

I like the Type 6's wrist rest as well. Think that would be good for long sessions at work.

However, I am hearing that Type 7 keyboards are better.

I am not able to be find anything here in Dubai to try out so I would have to rely on research done on the web / forums to make a decision; and then buy them off ebay.

Any ideas guys?..
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2020, 12:26:28 by knightjp »

Offline Findecanor

• Low Social Media Credit Score
Re: Sun Microsystems Keyboard - Type 6 vs Type 7
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 February 2020, 12:22:55 »
I have not actually typed on Type 6, but I have heard that it is mushy, and I think it is the same type of rubber dome switch as in the Type 5 and Fujitsu-branded keyboards that I own and know are mushy.

I have used Type 7 at work, and don't mind it. It is light and not mushy.
"I'm sorry, a rain drop literally pushed "Submit" on this retarded touchscreen phone"

Offline knightjp

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 05:15:23 »
Thanks for the advice. It is too bad that the Type 7 does not have a wrist rest, or does it?...

A more important question that I should be asking is whether those "Cut, Copy, Paste" keys on the left will actually work with Windows. Otherwise this exercise is completely useless. I'm getting mixed information from ebay sellers, etc. Can anyone here confirm this?... 

From everything else, I am hearing that these keyboards do have their fans and are pretty good.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 10:18:53 »
No, the Cut/Copy/Paste keys don't work in Windows. The default Windows keyboard driver ignores them. It does not work even with AutoHotkey.

They work under Linux and Solaris though, and you can remap them on Mac with a third-party program.
"I'm sorry, a rain drop literally pushed "Submit" on this retarded touchscreen phone"

Offline knightjp

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 29 February 2020, 11:23:12 »
No, the Cut/Copy/Paste keys don't work in Windows. The default Windows keyboard driver ignores them. It does not work even with AutoHotkey.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :'( :'( :'(

I'm gutted. I thought they were such good keyboards.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 00:08:38 »
Is there any other way to get it to work on Windows?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 07:22:36 »
I'm gutted. I thought they were such good keyboards.
Is there any other way to get it to work on Windows?
Disclaimer: I had tried the Type 7's dedicated cut/copy/paste keys only briefly on Windows 7. I don't work there any more so I don't have access to the keyboard.

But don't blame the keyboard. Blame Microsoft!
The Type 7 sends the Sun keyboard's key codes using standard codes in the "Keyboard usage page" (0x07): (Here are the codes)

And I know that some older Microsoft keyboards have actually had dedicated cut/copy/paste keys that worked in Windows, although I think those keyboards might have used PS/2. That would indicate that at least, Windows does support those keys internally. The issue lies in-between the keyboard and Windows' event system: in Microsoft's default USB keyboard class driver somewhere.
But it should be possible to have a special driver that overrides the class driver,  If you can code, making your own driver might be an option...
A quick search on GitHub reveals that there is source code for a few keyboard drivers there, that you could use as a starting point. But when I browse there, I see also that apparently, Windows wants every driver to be signed by a party that is vetted and approved by Microsoft, and has paid a lot of money for a signing key ...
unless you run Windows in a type of "developer mode" which might be more vulnerable to malware.

Another option would be to run Hasu's USB-to-USB converter, with which I think you should be able to map each key to a macro.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2020, 07:30:57 by Findecanor »

Offline knightjp

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 01 March 2020, 08:57:33 »
... I know that some older Microsoft keyboards have actually had dedicated cut/copy/paste keys that worked in Windows, although I think those keyboards might have used PS/2.
There's an idea... I wonder if a USB to PS/2 adapter would get the keyboard buttons working. You are correct. There were Microsoft keyboards with those keys and they seem to work fine. Even Kinesis have the FreeStyle2 which has those keys as well and they seem to work. But that is USB.

I'm not that tech savvy to work it out on my own. If anyone has one of them and don't mind testing the theory with the adapter, I would like to see how that works out.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 08:46:13 »
Someone asked me this question on Quora.

Since i don't know much about nor do i own this board, which one is better?

Offline knightjp

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 03 March 2020, 13:28:58 »

Haha.. Sorry.. I believe that was me. I have been asking the question on multiple networks to get as much info as possible.

Haven't gotten any answers though. Seems rather odd because it seems that those who have used these keyboards do like them. But the amount of reviews or info on the web is quite scarce.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • The sun god and destroyer of worlds
    • My promotion link
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 08 March 2020, 16:03:02 »

Haha.. Sorry.. I believe that was me. I have been asking the question on multiple networks to get as much info as possible.

Haven't gotten any answers though. Seems rather odd because it seems that those who have used these keyboards do like them. But the amount of reviews or info on the web is quite scarce.

Oh i see

Offline knightjp

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 09:14:50 »
I just purchased two Sun Keyboard Type 7 keyboards. They look a bit used but according to the seller, they seem to work. I will attempt to find a way to get them to work with Windows. Watch this space.