Author Topic: USB to USB keyboard converter  (Read 36187 times)

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
USB to USB keyboard converter
« on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 21:20:44 »
This is not an keyboard protocol converter in fact, but with this you can change keymap and use functions TMK firmware offers on your USB keyboard. https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#features

This depneds largely on Circuit@Home USB Host Shield 2.0 and its Arduino library.
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0

Hardware
You need USB host controller chip MAX3421e and AVR chip ATMega32U4.

The easiest way is buying my TMK USB to USB converter :D

1. TMK USB to USB converter
This small board includes all functions of Host Shield and Leonardo. No soldering job is needed.

you can buy an assmebled converter here to support my project.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.0

PCB design files are available.
https://github.com/tmk/USB2USB_Converter

2. USB Host Shield 2.0 + Arduino Leonardo
This firmware work with Circuit@Home USB Host Shield + Arduino Leonardo as well, they are not small for keyboard converter but work well.

a. USB Host Shield:
Get official one to support USB Host Shield project! From these links you can get genuine shield.
https://www.circuitsathome.com/products-page/arduino-shields/usb-host-shield-2-0-for-arduino-assembled/
http://shop.tkjelectronics.dk/product_info.php?products_id=43

Clones may have compatiblity issues with the library and TMK. Not recommended.
https://github.com/felis/USB_Host_Shield_2.0/issues/76#issuecomment-159269359
And you cannot use SparkFun USB Host Shield which is not compatible to Leonardo.

b. Arduino Leonardo:
http://arduino.cc/en/Main/arduinoBoardLeonardo

Firmware
This converter is part of TMK keyboard firmware project.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/converter/usb_usb

Build
You can compile firmware from source code. See TMK documentation for the detail.
Code: [Select]
$ git clone git://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard.git
$ cd tmk_keyboard
$ git submodule init
$ git submodule update
$ cd converter/usb_usb
$ make

No idea? No problem, you can use easy TMK keymap editor instead, see below.

Program
For TMK converter
To program converter with your firmware install 'dfu-programmer' and run this with 'sudo' if needed.
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 erase --force
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 flash <your_firmware.hex>
dfu-programmer atmega32u4 reset

If you have installed build tools you can just 'make' like this.
make dfu

You can use Atmel FLIP as well on Windows.

See for the detail.
https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/tmk_core/doc/build.md#program-controller

More
For USB Host Shield 2.0 + Arduino Leonardo
Push reset button on Leonardo before run this command. Serial port name(COM17) depends your system. On Linux I got /dev/ttyACM0.
$ DEV=COM17 make program
or
$ avrdude -patmega32u4 -cavr109 -b57600 -Uflash:w:usb_usb.hex -PCOM17

TMK Keymap Editor
USB to USB converter supports TMK keymap editor now!

You can edit keymapping and get your custom firmware easily with this.

Try it here.
http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/unimap/?usb_usb
SpaceFn on editor: http://goo.gl/5kvPrl

(Old editor: http://www.tmk-kbd.com/tmk_keyboard/editor/usb_usb/   SpaceFn: http://bit.ly/1OqgvMn )

Limitation
  • Only supports 'HID Boot protocol'(6KRO) mode. It is theoretically possible to support NKRO mode but I won't add it. NKRO keyboard shall work in 6KRO mode. (Confirmed NKRO keyboards: TMK Alps64, Massdrop Infinity, Novatouch)
  • Media/System control keys on keyboard are not recognized by the converter. Note that you can still send those keys with TMK firmware.
  • 'Fn' key on keyboard is not recognized also. In most case keyboards don't spit out keycode for the key. You cannot remap 'Fn' key itself while 'Fn' combination keys can be remmapable. Note that you can still define 'Fn' key with TMK firmware.
  • Firmware size. USB to USB converter uses alot of flash space to support USB. All of TMK features cannot used at same time due to MCU flash size(28KB).
  • To work with Sprit's PCB you have to force USB mode(Auto PS/2-USB mode selection doesn't work with the converter)
  • No mouse or other pointing devices support. To support all pointing devices is difficult but it is possible to support one specific device if you are willing to write code for that. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=69169.msg2193024#msg2193024
  • Incompatibility: it doesn't work with Varmilo VA87MR, GON's NerD, Kinesis Advantage2

TODO

DONE:
    • Force NKRO keyboard in 6KRO mode. I believe most of NKRO keyboards also supports 6KRO. With future update NKRO keyboard will work with the converter in 6KRO mode but currently NKRO keyboard doesn't work. Library itself sends SetProtocol(boot) request so NKRO keyboard should work if it supports boot protocol(6KRO). DONE
    • Standard LED indicators support. Caps Lock, Scroll Lock and Num Lock indicators. DONE

Update
    2016/09  New keymap editor(unimap) is available
    2016/01  Add Keymap editor
    2015/12  Add Firmware size to limitations, and recommendation for genuine host shield
    2015/11  Add keymap for JIS and ISO
    2015/07  Bug fix for keyboard sending ErrorRollOver report
    2015/07  Add Locking key indicator support
    2015/06  Updated Limitation and TODO
    2015/02  TMK USB to USB converter Rev.A
    2014/12  Added Hub support(confirmed with HHKB pro2)
    « Last Edit: Wed, 21 December 2016, 17:37:11 by hasu »
    ⚠ My Engrish is broken.  TMK firmware  ⌨ HHKB Alt controller  ⌨Protocol Converters
    Alps64

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
    Re: USB to USB keyboard converter
    « Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 07:55:17 »
    Nice! Interested in getting one...

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
    • * Exalted Elder
    • because reasons.......
    « Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:20:07 »
    Hasu, any chance you would build some of these to sell?

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
    • Leopold fanboy
    « Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:22:29 »
    This is really great. I wanted to build one of these a while ago but I just couldn't find the time to follow through.  Looks fantastic!
    Notice: I am no longer active as of August 2016
    buy/sell/trade thread | keyboard collection | Epsilon project | Qazpad project | CompactTKL project | Sigma project | Easy firmware/keymapper
    SmallFry will be remembered

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:25:10 »
    I have spare PCBs and have a plan to get some of them assembled once I confirm it works well in the field after some daily usage.

Today, I found a bug :D
    ⚠ My Engrish is broken.  TMK firmware  ⌨ HHKB Alt controller  ⌨Protocol Converters
    Alps64

Online nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
    • * Maker
    • Model M "connoisseur"
    « Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 21:28:04 »
    That's really cool.  How do you change the keymapping with it?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 22:06:14 »
    I can't live without mousekey and layer switching with space bar :D

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/blob/master/converter/usb_usb/keymap_hasu.c
    Alps64

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 20:32:16 »
    I'm having power or/and initializing related problem during plugin and bootup time :(
    This problem occurs on both my converter and leonardo and Host shield(old Sparnkfun one),  at this point not sure it is firmware problem or hardware one.

Once the problem is sorted out I'd run small distribution(GB) from my spare PCBs.
    Alps64

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
    « Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 23:26:17 »
    I'm having power or/and initializing related problem during plugin and bootup time :(
    This problem occurs on both my converter and leonardo and Host shield(old Sparnkfun one),  at this point not sure it is firmware problem or hardware one.

Once the problem is sorted out I'd run small distribution(GB) from my spare PCBs.

Wow! I had missed this thread!

I have purchased the Arduino and USB Host shield some time ago, compiled and uploaded TMK, and it worked. Then the plan was to implement SpaceFN and GuiFN on it, but I have not done it yet due to lack of time.

How is this project going?

I'm very interested in purchasing a few assembled controllers from you, if you have enough of them available.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:37:58 »
    Not sort the problem yet :) I've worked on other projects like alps64 and HHKB Alt Controller.

Probably it is not hardware but initialization in firmware problem. I'll look into soon.

Unfortunately this converter requires two chips and it costs much and assembly process takes long. But it works it is important!

Kudus to Circuit@Home!
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
      • nickbair.net
    « Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 02:53:01 »
    This is really cool. Would this pass enough current to power a model m or similar along with a PS/2 adapter? I would love TMK features in a model m.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
    IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
    Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
    My boards:
    More
    AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 03:54:22 »
    Unicomp USB keyboard?
    How you can draw current is depends on your USB host capability. I think you can use Unicomp USB Model M as far as your PC or Hub can supply power enough.

BTW, What do you need TMK features actually?
    Alps64

Offline spiceBar

• ChessTiger.com
    « Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 08:37:20 »
    Not sort the problem yet :) I've worked on other projects like alps64 and HHKB Alt Controller.

Probably it is not hardware but initialization in firmware problem. I'll look into soon.

Unfortunately this converter requires two chips and it costs much and assembly process takes long. But it works it is important!

Kudus to Circuit@Home!

I'm not sure how much it costs, but for me price is not an issue. After spending so much on mechanical keyboards, fine-tuning them thanks to your wonderful adapters is a really great addition.

Will we be able to purchase completely assembled converters from you?

I think it would be interesting to be able to purchase some without the USB plugs. I think the converters are thin enough to install them inside most keyboards, provided we solder the "in" and "out" wires directly to the small PCB. If it's not possible, I hope it's not too difficult to desolder the USB plugs.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 15 April 2015, 17:45:02 by spiceBar »

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 April 2015, 20:31:18 »
    Unicomp USB keyboard?
    How you can draw current is depends on your USB host capability. I think you can use Unicomp USB Model M as far as your PC or Hub can supply power enough.

BTW, What do you need TMK features actually?
    I've got a PS/2 Model M and I use an adapter like this. But I think PS/2 boards draw a lot of current. Just wondering if your device would supply enough current for PS/2.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
    My boards:
    More
    AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 20:26:49 »
    Finally sorted out the bootup problem, yay!
    It was a intilization problem of firmware, not hardware. It is lucky that I can still use existent PCB and components.

I'll start making a few boards soon and create GB or artisan service thread for this converter.

Alps64

Offline gosinger

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 13:24:28 »
    Wow...great project, this thread made me register here...

looking forward to future development, keep up the great work! I'll get myself an Leonardo and will give this a go :)
    Bolt-modded 1391403 | Ducky Shine 3 slim (MX-blue)

Offline Leimi

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 18 May 2015, 19:08:59 »
    Finally sorted out the bootup problem, yay!
    It was a intilization problem of firmware, not hardware. It is lucky that I can still use existent PCB and components.

I'll start making a few boards soon and create GB or artisan service thread for this converter.

Great job, looking forward to it :)

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
    « Reply #17 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:21:47 »
    Will you be able to change the keypad so it transmit properly keypad numcodes?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #18 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:37:27 »
    If the keypad is currently sending out exactly the same scancodes as the number row, this adapter will have no way to tell them apart.

My boards:
    More

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
    « Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 08:38:15 »

If the keypad is currently sending out exactly the same scancodes as the number row, this adapter will have no way to tell them apart.
    And on a standalone keypad?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 14:38:17 »

And on a standalone keypad?
    I have not used this but I believe in that case it would work.

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #21 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 04:14:57 »
    I started an artisan service thread for my TMK keyboard converters. And I'll assmeble some USB to USB converters soon and taking order tentatively now, check this post if someone is interested in taking my converter.
    https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=72052.msg1759680#msg1759680

I have to decide the price later due to final cost calc, but you can cancel it if you don't like the final price.
    The price will be around 40-50USD, probably.
    « Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2015, 04:23:32 by hasu »
    Alps64

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #22 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 19:54:16 »
    Updated Limitation and TODO in first post.

In short:
    NKRO keyboards doesn't work with the converter at this time but they will be supported in 6KRO mode with future update. Also Lock indicators support will be added by firmware upgrade.

NKRO mode and System and Media Control keys are not supported. And 'Fn' or 'Pn' key on keyboard like Poker cannot be handled by the converter.

BTW, some assembled TMK USB to USB converters are available now here.
    Alps64

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
    « Reply #23 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 22:04:00 »
    Updated Limitation and TODO in first post.

In short:
    NKRO keyboards doesn't work with the converter at this time but they will be supported in 6KRO mode with future update. Also Lock indicators support will be added by firmware upgrade.

NKRO mode and System and Media Control keys are not supported. And 'Fn' or 'Pn' key on keyboard like Poker cannot be handled by the converter.

BTW, some assembled TMK USB to USB converters are available now here.

As a custom layouts guy I am eagerly watching and waiting for the day when your USB to USB converter will have LED support.
    Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #24 on: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:15:45 »
    Small update: Added locking key indicator(LED) support and fixed for Rollover error of 2KRO keyboard.

2015/07  Bug fix for keyboard sending ErrorRollOver report
    2015/07  Add Locking key indicator support

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/6f5e8ce17e89005130cd0f9ecc6e346a77bb624b
    https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/commit/1efdd867c8f88ad779ad82e1b22df62bf6be8fe9
    « Last Edit: Wed, 15 July 2015, 02:17:41 by hasu »
    Alps64

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
    • PERSONAL TEXT NUKED BY STATIONARY WARHEAD
    « Reply #25 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 12:22:15 »
    Testing with Kinesis Advantage, spacefn is working!!!
    MOD EDIT -- NUKED FROM ORBIT

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #26 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 16:26:58 »
    Great!

BTW, I did this just for fun and it worked with daisy chain of two, at least :D
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #27 on: Fri, 24 July 2015, 20:45:16 »
    Great!

BTW, I did this just for fun and it worked with daisy chain of two, at least :D
    Show Image

Seeing this pic just made me realize how awesome this project is. Imagine being able to throw this thing into your backpack, and everywhere you go you've got your preferred keyboard layout and function layers, no matter what keyboard you're forced to use. Amazing.

My boards:
    More

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
    « Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:14:01 »
    Wow! This is so amazing! So is this like a keycode translator? Does it also work on keys than don't send keycode (like fn)?
    TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
    CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.
    Infinity60 with Matias Quiet Switches w/ TMK.

Coming:
    Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 August 2015, 15:25:27 »
    Wow! This is so amazing! So is this like a keycode translator? Does it also work on keys than don't send keycode (like fn)?

From the OP:

'Fn' key on keyboard is not recognized also. In most case keyboards don't spit out keycode for the key. Note that you can still define 'Fn' key with TMK firmware.

So unfortunately no. But if your board can be programmed so that the Fn key sends a keycode, just do that.

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #30 on: Sat, 08 August 2015, 02:16:38 »

From the OP:

'Fn' key on keyboard is not recognized also. In most case keyboards don't spit out keycode for the key. Note that you can still define 'Fn' key with TMK firmware.

So unfortunately no. But if your board can be programmed so that the Fn key sends a keycode, just do that.

Right. 'Fn' key itself cannot be remmaped while combination of 'Fn' and some keys(for example, Fn+x, Fn+w,...) are probably remappable.
    Alps64

Offline kirkvomit

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 05:41:43 »
    Hi, does anyone has tested usb to usb converter for a long time?
    Mine is made from Leonardo board.
    And I have a problem that converter stops registering any inputs after few days.
    Restart of the board doesn't help. Plug unplug some times helps for a 5 minutes and then controller stops registering inputs again.
    Tried on different PCs, result is the same, it works flawlesly for few days and then starts glitching.

Have somebody faced this problem too?

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #32 on: Sun, 09 August 2015, 23:02:58 »
    And I have a problem that converter stops registering any inputs after few days.
    Restart of the board doesn't help. Plug unplug some times helps for a 5 minutes and then controller stops registering inputs again.

Interesting.
    I've not experienced that situation so far, but I pluged converter a day at most. hmm, I can't come up any clue from that description. More informations would be useful to speculate the problem.

What is your converter hardware actually? Circuit@Home shield or other? Leonardo is genuine one or clone?

What is your host? Desktop, notebook? OS?

what is your keyboards?

Can you post logs when it happened?

Your firmware is the latest? And post files if you changed something.

And you can use hid_listen to see how converter stops.
    Alps64

Offline kirkvomit

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 14:29:01 »
    Leonardo is clone from ebay.
    Shield is like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Host-Shield-Support-Android-ADK-UNO-MEGA-Duemilanove-2560-For-Arduino-/201354197970?hash=item2ee1a53bd2

Tried on 2 PCs and one notebook, all have Ubuntu 14.04 installed.
    Keyboards are poker 2 and razer blackwidow tournament.

What logs did you mean?
    Firmware is not latest, I flashed it may be in aprill 2015.
    Can you explain about hid_listen?

I will try to flash it with latest firmware without any changes and will let you know if it fixed the problem or not.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #34 on: Mon, 10 August 2015, 19:19:30 »
    Logs are located under /var/log/, you can find something related to USB in kern.log, IIRC.

As for hid_listen, see these. And google with word 'hid_listen' to find download link.
    https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard#debugging
    https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/wiki/FAQ#debug-console

Yeah, try the latest firmware and report back.
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #35 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 08:48:32 »
    Do magic and bootmagic work with this converter?

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #36 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 10:58:47 »
    No. This and other TMK converters probably can't check key state while their startup time.

Bootmagic is supported only with TMK keyboard controllers while Magic command works on both converters and keyboard controllers.

https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/issues/175
    « Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2015, 11:01:34 by hasu »
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #37 on: Fri, 21 August 2015, 13:16:32 »
    No. This and other TMK converters probably can't check key state while their startup time.

Bootmagic is supported only with TMK keyboard controllers while Magic command works on both converters and keyboard controllers.

I can't seem to get Magic to work. Do I need to enable it at compile time first? I couldn't find any make flags for that.

For bootmagic, your issue suggests a startup delay as a workaround. If this were a configurable option, like a make flag, that would be a really good solution because only those who explicitly enable the delay will have to wait for it.

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #38 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 03:25:32 »

I can't seem to get Magic to work. Do I need to enable it at compile time first? I couldn't find any make flags for that.

For bootmagic, your issue suggests a startup delay as a workaround. If this were a configurable option, like a make flag, that would be a really good solution because only those who explicitly enable the delay will have to wait for it.

To enable Magic commands this line is required in Makefile.
    COMMAND_ENABLE = yes    # Commands for debug and configuration
    Alps64

Offline sandric

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 11:56:57 »
    How do you program this converter? I mean if you want to remap some key you unplug keyboard from female usb port and plug it strickly to usb port of computer, or it is doable with keyboard connected to it? And what is language you program - arduino C? Uploading with arduino ide? Isn't library Arduino USB Host?

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #40 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 18:09:52 »
    I wrote a nice long review of this converter because I'm so in love with it right now.

Thanks for your work, hasu!

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #41 on: Sun, 23 August 2015, 18:56:06 »
    Nice writeup! Thanks.
    I subscribed the thread.
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #42 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 15:44:18 »
    I bought an off-brand Leonardo & shield (both made by SainSmart). I was able to flash the .hex file with avrdude without any errors, but it's not working as a converter at all.

What steps can I take to debug this thing?

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #43 on: Wed, 26 August 2015, 18:41:44 »
    They seem to be compatible to original boards but the shop doesn't offer technical details like schematic enough to make certain of. Let's say they are compatible.

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-usb-host-android-adk-shield-2-0-for-arduino-uno-mega-r3-mega2560-duemilanove-nano-robot.html
    http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-leonardo-r3-atmega32u4-development-board-for-arduino.html#customer-reviews

Can you see debug message with hid_listen?
    Keyboard is given enough voltage?

BTW, I haven't confirm my firmware with original Circuit@Home board. I'm using Sparkfun shield(with modification) and genuine Leonardo besides my own TMK converter.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9947
    « Last Edit: Wed, 26 August 2015, 18:46:52 by hasu »
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #44 on: Thu, 27 August 2015, 08:33:06 »
    They seem to be compatible to original boards but the shop doesn't offer technical details like schematic enough to make certain of. Let's say they are compatible.

http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-usb-host-android-adk-shield-2-0-for-arduino-uno-mega-r3-mega2560-duemilanove-nano-robot.html
    http://www.sainsmart.com/sainsmart-leonardo-r3-atmega32u4-development-board-for-arduino.html#customer-reviews

Can you see debug message with hid_listen?
    Keyboard is given enough voltage?

BTW, I haven't confirm my firmware with original Circuit@Home board. I'm using Sparkfun shield(with modification) and genuine Leonardo besides my own TMK converter.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9947

hid_listen recognizes the SainSmart Leonardo. When I plug it in, it says

Listening:
    init: done
    keyboard_set_led: 05

That last line is accompanied by all three lock LEDs on my keyboard quickly flashing. After this, nothing happens. Typing on the keyboard does nothing. If I unplug the keyboard from the USB host shield and plug it back in, the lock LEDs flash again. But no message about LEDs this time in hid_listen.

hid_listen always stays connected to the first device it finds until it's unplugged or deactivated, even when you plug another device in. I have a working hasu converter as well. I wanted to test whether the Leonardo was crashing or freezing:

run hid_listen
    plug in Leonardo: hid_listen initializes the Leonardo properly
    plug in hasu's converter: nothing changes
    leave hasu's converter plugged in and unplug Leonardo: hid_listen initializes hasu's converter properly
    plug in Leonardo: nothing changes
    unplug hasu's converter: hid_listen initializes Leonardo properly

This tells me the Leonardo stays connected as HID, so it's not freezing or crashing.

This must be an issue with the USB host shield. It may be a pin incompatibility with the original, or it may be that the shield itself is DOA.

Maybe I can upload a simple Arduino sketch to test that the USB host shield is working. If so, it may be that the shield is not compatible with the Sparkfun shield you used for testing, hasu.

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #45 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 05:35:10 »
    It seems like communication between Leonardo and PC works well.

Does the keyboard work with TMK converter?
    And did you check voltage USB host shield supplies?

Yes, 'hid_listen' is connected just to first device found. To connect it to another device you need to disconnect the first device. This is cofusing a bit when you are using some devices with custome firmware like TMK and Soarere's.

Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #46 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 08:56:07 »
    It seems like communication between Leonardo and PC works well.

Does the keyboard work with TMK converter?
    And did you check voltage USB host shield supplies?

Yes, 'hid_listen' is connected just to first device found. To connect it to another device you need to disconnect the first device. This is cofusing a bit when you are using some devices with custome firmware like TMK and Soarere's.

I have not checked the host shield voltage yet. I'll have to wait until next week to try that though, as the converter is at the office.

My boards:
    More

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #47 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 16:52:37 »
    Well, I checked the host shield voltage yesterday, only to determine after spinning my wheels for about an hour, that my multimeter is in terrible need of recalibration.

Fortunately, I was eventually able to solve the problem with the Leonardo & USB host shield. The host shield uses a few pins on the ICSP header, but my USB host shield did not include female headers on those pins (even though the product image shows it with headers). I had some spares lying around so I was able to solder on my own headers and now it works like a charm. Now I just need a nice enclosure and some time to play around with LEDs.

So I can confirm, that if you can afford the time to solder and have some spare headers, this is a slightly cheaper way to build your own converter. Just know that hasu's pre-made converter is much smaller and you're supporting his wonderful work!

SainSmart Arduino Leonardo clone: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00CO07PNY
    SainSmart USB Host Shield: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B006J4G000
    Female 0.1" headers (if you need them): http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B007Q84C4O

My boards:
    More

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    « Reply #48 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 18:55:51 »
    Great.

But really terrible story with SainSmart, and you are not alone :(
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R13EEDLP8OWUA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006J4G000#R13EEDLP8OWUA4

The host shield uses a few pins on the ICSP header, but my USB host shield did not include female headers on those pins (even though the product image shows it with headers).  I had some spares lying around so I was able to solder on my own headers and now it works like a charm.
    Alps64

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
    « Reply #49 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 20:25:50 »
    Great.

But really terrible story with SainSmart, and you are not alone :(
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R13EEDLP8OWUA4/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B006J4G000#R13EEDLP8OWUA4

The host shield uses a few pins on the ICSP header, but my USB host shield did not include female headers on those pins (even though the product image shows it with headers).  I had some spares lying around so I was able to solder on my own headers and now it works like a charm.

I saw that. That review, along with a forum post on the Arduino website, led me to discover the problem.

The worst part is, once I knew the problem I tried searching really hard to find any kind of documentation from SainSmart that I might have missed, but there's nothing. It seems like their only documentation is the product descriptions on their store and Amazon.com. What a pity.

See, kids, this is why you should buy your converters direct from hasu!

My boards:
    More