Author Topic: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height  (Read 10548 times)

Offline dani_

Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 22:45:26 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Offline lush_bunny

• CLACK CLACK M**********R
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:49:38 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stop I can only get so erect!

The issue of ESD and dust is one that completely slipped my mind, and thanks to The_Royal for bringing this up. Should I ever decide for this board, this would be a welcome addition.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:36:51 »

Here are some pictures:

A great compromise that pleases everyone.  Nice work  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:39:56 »
Def like that approach more. i'd probably get my own arylic/pc plate cut and find some way to magnetize it to leave it clear.

Offline swingkat

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:53:22 »
Definitely like the idea of a clear plate to cover the exposed PCB. Could something like that be done as an option with the group buy? I was actually not a fan due to the exposed pcb, but if there was an option to cover it, I'd consider a buy.

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:03:16 »

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is it, chief!

Offline chits

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:00:50 »
make it PC for the 'exposed' effect without actually exposing it...unless a sheet of PC that thin would be too fragile.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:33:47 »
I'm 100% in for the exposed pcb myself, but that magnetic compromise looks good! :thumb:

Offline Nostril

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 02:54:57 »

I already liked this board/design a lot when it was exposed and was previously in favor of just leaving it exposed, but after seeing this concept, I do prefer the revision. Nice job!

Offline lootbag

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 00:25:46 »
This is interesting! I need a TKL in my life.

Offline ryou965

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 07:13:02 »
oh god please take my money

Offline OverHerb3

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 09:19:45 »
Please take my money, this looks amazing!

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:37:13 »
Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:39:02 by Aquilla »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 16:53:24 »
I'll keep an eye on it

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:03:46 »
Re: ISO and Alps PCBs
I don't anticipate enough interest to make these options possible but I'm happy to open source the PCB which you can then modify to your liking.

If ISO is gonna happen the plate would need to support it as well, keep that in mind. And I sure hope it does happen :)