Author Topic: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height  (Read 9833 times)

Offline dani_

Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 22:45:26 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Offline lush_bunny

• CLACK CLACK M**********R
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:49:38 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stop I can only get so erect!

The issue of ESD and dust is one that completely slipped my mind, and thanks to The_Royal for bringing this up. Should I ever decide for this board, this would be a welcome addition.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:36:51 »

Here are some pictures:

A great compromise that pleases everyone.  Nice work  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:39:56 »
Def like that approach more. i'd probably get my own arylic/pc plate cut and find some way to magnetize it to leave it clear.

Offline swingkat

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:53:22 »
Definitely like the idea of a clear plate to cover the exposed PCB. Could something like that be done as an option with the group buy? I was actually not a fan due to the exposed pcb, but if there was an option to cover it, I'd consider a buy.

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:03:16 »

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is it, chief!

Offline chits

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:00:50 »
make it PC for the 'exposed' effect without actually exposing it...unless a sheet of PC that thin would be too fragile.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:33:47 »
I'm 100% in for the exposed pcb myself, but that magnetic compromise looks good! :thumb:

Offline Nostril

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 02:54:57 »

I already liked this board/design a lot when it was exposed and was previously in favor of just leaving it exposed, but after seeing this concept, I do prefer the revision. Nice job!

Offline lootbag

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 00:25:46 »
This is interesting! I need a TKL in my life.

Offline ryou965

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 07:13:02 »
oh god please take my money

Offline OverHerb3

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 09:19:45 »
Please take my money, this looks amazing!

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:37:13 »
Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:39:02 by Aquilla »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 16:53:24 »
I'll keep an eye on it