Author Topic: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height (new renders)  (Read 16056 times)

Offline dani_

Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 22:45:26 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Offline lush_bunny

• CLACK CLACK M**********R
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:49:38 »
Taking some inspiration from the J-* keyboards, I've sketched out an idea for covering the PCB using magnets and a thin brass plate. Because there aren't any external fasteners, it only adds ~1mm between the PCB and the desktop. I'm not crazy about it because it adds complexity to the design but I figured I'd float it here anyway. For now I'm going to move ahead with prototyping the case as originally designed with the exposed PCB and we can re-visit this down the line.

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Stop I can only get so erect!

The issue of ESD and dust is one that completely slipped my mind, and thanks to The_Royal for bringing this up. Should I ever decide for this board, this would be a welcome addition.

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:36:51 »

Here are some pictures:

A great compromise that pleases everyone.  Nice work  :thumb:

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 10:39:56 »
Def like that approach more. i'd probably get my own arylic/pc plate cut and find some way to magnetize it to leave it clear.

Offline swingkat

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:53:22 »
Definitely like the idea of a clear plate to cover the exposed PCB. Could something like that be done as an option with the group buy? I was actually not a fan due to the exposed pcb, but if there was an option to cover it, I'd consider a buy.

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 12:03:16 »

Here are some pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

This is it, chief!

Offline chits

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 17:00:50 »
make it PC for the 'exposed' effect without actually exposing it...unless a sheet of PC that thin would be too fragile.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 01:33:47 »
I'm 100% in for the exposed pcb myself, but that magnetic compromise looks good! :thumb:

Offline Nostril

• aaron-hong.com
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 21 March 2020, 02:54:57 »

I already liked this board/design a lot when it was exposed and was previously in favor of just leaving it exposed, but after seeing this concept, I do prefer the revision. Nice job!

Offline lootbag

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 00:25:46 »
This is interesting! I need a TKL in my life.

Offline ryou965

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 07:13:02 »
oh god please take my money

Offline OverHerb3

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 March 2020, 09:19:45 »
Please take my money, this looks amazing!

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:37:13 »
Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 13:39:02 by Aquilla »

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 16:53:24 »
I'll keep an eye on it

Offline Aquilla

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 31 March 2020, 09:03:46 »
Re: ISO and Alps PCBs
I don't anticipate enough interest to make these options possible but I'm happy to open source the PCB which you can then modify to your liking.

If ISO is gonna happen the plate would need to support it as well, keep that in mind. And I sure hope it does happen :)

Offline dani_

« Reply #65 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 23:57:17 »
Apologies for the long delay, hereís a quick status update:

tl;dr Prototype to arrive early May, probably not much activity until then.

Unfortunately due to the COVID19 situation I have very little spare time these days so progress has slowed. I am focusing on kicking off tasks that will take a long time to complete like prototyping, and putting off less critical things like making attractive renders. Rest assured, I will not start the group buy until I have the full time I need to devote to it.

I have ordered a first prototype and parts will be trickling in through early May. The only major change to the design is removal of the badge over the nav cluster. In the end it just wasnít possible to get what I consider to be an acceptably tight fit at a reasonable cost. Otherwise the current design is very close to the renders in the original post. I am still exploring the covered bottom option but that's on hold for now and likely wonít make it into the first round of the group buy.

Thank you all for the support, the feedback has been encouraging. The next step for me is to put some nice renders together and start thinking about finishes and colors, so be on the lookout for those.

3.) What if you got in touch with Kailh and inquire about getting Custom Colored(plastic portion) sockets for use on the PCB.  That, along with a killer silkscreen, could make for a beautiful and stunning Bottom View of your board.[/size]

I love this idea and have been discussing it with Kaihua. They can do it but it'll be expensive so I'm going to leave it as a "we'll see" for now.

Is there a already a price floating around? I know it will be an estimate at this point but still.
Also, is there a Discord server already?
Would be nice to have.

Iíve gotten manufacturing quotes that would let me run this as low as $250 a board up through three times that amount. In the end, you get what you pay for. What are you willing to tolerate as far as tool marks, anodizing blemishes, &c.? Iím pretty confident I can reach my quality goals (which, admittedly, are high) at a price between $350 and $400 (shipped in CONUS). If this manufacturer comes through with a good prototype, it may be lower. If freight costs continue to rise, it may go up.

Discord server created (I think?)Ö https://discord.gg/rX7BZhK. Iím not sure what the protocol is: do we agree in advance on a time to log on and discuss? Or is it more of a free for all? Forgive me for being a little out of touch.

Nice. Make sure to test the prototypes by pressing the escape key. I am having concerns that the far left and right sides dont have enough support and might tilt to the left or right. :) Just a heads-up to watch out for that,
Everything else looks real nice

It's hard to tell from the renders but the brass weight is a bit wider than it looks. Only the Escape and Pause columns are "floating", every other key is supported. I will, of course make sure that everything is stable though and extend the weight if it is not.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:39:33 »
Hey,

As for the Discord channel. Well done!  :thumb:

However, some advice.

-Make a 'welcome' topic for only people who have entered the Discord channel, in which no one can comment of course (close topic for comments)

-A separate topic with 'announcements' for when there are updates that you want to share with the community. (close topic for comments)

-Also a topic for 'general' chat concerns Mesa TKL. (just like here on Geekhack, same concept so to speak) > NO VOICE channel for this.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2020, 06:42:22 by alper_maestro »

Offline dani_

Re: [IC] Mesa TKL - 14mm front height (new renders)
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 03 May 2020, 16:29:45 »
Another quick update:

I've added some updated renders to the main post. I've only just starting learning Blender so these are improving as I figure things out but I think they're passable for now.

The discord server is up and I try to spend some time there every few days so check it out if you more detailed questions or comments.

Meanwhile parts have started arriving. I've got the silicone and foam parts, the PCB will arrive later this week, and I'm still waiting on a status update about the case.

Offline ecbob

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 05:25:00 »
What kind of color ways are you looking at?

Offline dani_

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 17:57:54 »

Colors are undecided so far. The plate and weight will be un-treated brass regardless so any color options will have to match that. Clear/silver and black anodizing are easy and universally popular. E-white might be an option as well, I'm still working that out with the manufacturer.

I'm happy to mock up renders of other color and keycap set combinations on request if you have an idea.

I'm waiting to post a proper IC poll until I have prototype in hand and have had a chance to do some testing and post a thorough writeup. It's a bit behind schedule but I expect to be able to do that within two weeks.

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 04:52:58 »

Colors are undecided so far. The plate and weight will be un-treated brass regardless so any color options will have to match that. Clear/silver and black anodizing are easy and universally popular. E-white might be an option as well, I'm still working that out with the manufacturer.

I'm happy to mock up renders of other color and keycap set combinations on request if you have an idea.

I'm waiting to post a proper IC poll until I have prototype in hand and have had a chance to do some testing and post a thorough writeup. It's a bit behind schedule but I expect to be able to do that within two weeks.

Will there only be a WKL version?

Offline werc

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 10:43:00 »
+1 for a cover. would particularly love something transparent like acrylic or polycarbonate
+1 for hotswap; definitely prefer this for flexibility

Offline dani_

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 12:03:24 »

Will there only be a WKL version?
[/quote]

This will depend on the poll but I expect there will be enough interest to make both.