Author Topic: pulling a Wellington  (Read 13076 times)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
pulling a Wellington
« on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 16:58:38 »
Maybe it's the summer weather outside, but visiting the forum is less and less interesting. I'm starting to pull a Wellington. I'm finding myself satisfied with my currently-owned  keyboards and more likely to sell than buy. The need to hack new modifications has abated. I am content.

Is this a stage we all go through, or is it only the most informed and intelligent of us that reach a plateau of input device delight? Am I to be bereft of useful posts, and left only to troll?
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 17:01:32 by ricercar »
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 17:20:06 »
webwit is gone, the forum is too boring now. so i'm voting for you to only troll from now on.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 17:27:47 »
Quote from: ricercar;197722

Is this a stage we all go through, or is it only the most informed and intelligent of us that reach a plateau of input device delight?

I vote for "informed intelligent" ;)

Am I to be bereft of useful posts

Hey! ;) My 'fixative' idea wasnt all bad...

and left only to troll?

pretty much. Tho I lost a poll on that one ;)

You could always "pull an xsphat" and devolve back to typewriters...

If you're feeling a buying/modding void, there are plenty of far more expensive things to fill the void... :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 18:26:12 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 17:32:53 »
Quote from: sixty;197726
webwit is gone, the forum is too boring now. so i'm voting for you to only troll from now on.

I was wondering why things were so civilized around here. Its like all of a sudden GH members were helping each other out, being kind and nice, and even staying on topic.  I rather like it.  All thats left is me whaling on ripster now and then and ripster posting lego insults at me ;-D  But thats not so bad.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 18:38:32 »
Quote from: sixty;197726

I second this.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 18:44:02 »
I'm just catching up on the giveaway thread - omg, i missed that, LOL.

Just glad to see once again that I was hardly the only one who had issues with him.

There's trolling that can be an entertaining digression, and then there's trolling thats simply disruptive for the sake of being disruptive.

The latter gets old really fast. Especially when people just want to get information or have some light hearted fun, which is what this forum has been great for.  Its just a keyboard forum folks.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 18:46:28 »
I'd much rather Webwit than the 'ancient computer retard bridge'... I mean, at least Webwit has contributed a lot more to the collective knowledge of the forum than most people around here.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:06:58 »
Quote from: ch_123;197747
I'd much rather Webwit than the 'ancient computer retard bridge'... I mean, at least Webwit has contributed a lot more to the collective knowledge of the forum than most people around here.

yea, and the nazi's invented jet engines. still, they had to go.

it seems tho there are a couple of people (three by my count) who insist that without a thread killing troll around GH just cant be either entertaining or creative or informative.  That just sounds ridiculous, actually. and it  doesnt reflect the reality I think, either in the  past, present, or future, for this site.  Yea I myself am not actively investigating keyboards anymore (I've pulled a Ricercar, you might say), but there are plenty of intelligent and fun folks in the new crop of active members.  And its so nice not to have to fight meta-battles all the time and instead actually bite into the content of some of the threads without constant disruption.

I guess you know what my vote is.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:13:11 by wellington1869 »

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:08:07 »
As you say, it's a keyboard forum. If you're looking for your soulmate, you're quite possibly looking in the wrong place.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:15:05 »
Quote from: ch_123;197752
As you say, it's a keyboard forum. If you're looking for your soulmate, you're quite possibly looking in the wrong place.

absolutely right. Its just a keyboard forum. We still have plenty of arguments breaking out. THey just dont turn into 6 month long death matches, which is nice for a change. CUz its just a keyboard forum.

Offline bigpook

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:26:24 »
I have been pretty quiet around here, but noticed the lack of webwit. Did he just up and disappear?

I can relate to the OP though, I pretty much have figured out what my favorite keyboards are and am pretty satisfied. I don't see anything out there that I want to try anyways. Its pretty hard to beat the IBM Model M mini and the HHKB. At least for me.
To think I spent time swapping springs and click leafs on ALPS switches in a search for typing nirvana....
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:29:20 »
Quote from: bigpook;197759
I have been pretty quiet around here, but noticed the lack of webwit. Did he just up and disappear?

I can relate to the OP though, I pretty much have figured out what my favorite keyboards are and am pretty satisfied. I don't see anything out there that I want to try anyways. Its pretty hard to beat the IBM Model M mini and the HHKB. At least for me.
To think I spent time swapping springs and click leafs on ALPS switches in a search for typing nirvana....

read and weep/rejoice as you see fit :) :
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=10351&do=comments

personally i think its probably healthy for the site if the oldtimers move on. I've been hanging around in the last week but my participation this year has been very intermittent and will continue to be intermittent -- I've "pulled an itlnstln" in that regard by (intermittently) announcing my retirement. ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:36:08 by wellington1869 »

Offline hyperlinked

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:40:28 »
Maybe it's the summer weather outside, but visiting the forum is less and less interesting. I'm starting to pull a Wellington. I'm finding myself satisfied with my currently-owned  keyboards and more likely to sell than buy. The need to hack new modifications has abated. I am content.

Do you end up at other boards more often when you don't feel compelled to visit GH or does all forum activity drop off? If I'm not here much, I'm not in any forum much and it is the summer that's keeping me busy.

I'm running an outdoor movie festival again with a friend of mine. There's usually a lot of good live music that comes through around this time of year so that scratches off a few more nights here and there. Someone inevitably drops in for a visit. That cancels out a few more days.

This site is small enough for a core group of people to feed off of each other in subtle ways and there will be natural ebb and flow.

Besides all that, I think there are a lot of people here who like to debate (some who just want to argue) and discuss new tech. A lot of those discussions have played themselves out. We got a lot of mileage over the iPad talk and a lot of better than average chatter that wasn't 89% composed of "It Sucks" vs "No It Doesn't Suck" comments.

But in so far as the keyboard fetish goes... I'm a Topre and maybe a Clicky ALPS board short of fulfilling my GH bucket list, but I'm feeling pretty satisifed for now. Besides, it seems that no matter what I try, my Filco with Browns is still the champ.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline bigpook

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 19:47:15 »
Quote from: wellington1869;197761
read and weep/rejoice as you see fit :) :
http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=10351&do=comments

personally i think its probably healthy for the site if the oldtimers move on. I've been hanging around in the last week but my participation this year has been very intermittent and will continue to be intermittent -- I've "pulled an itlnstln" in that regard by (intermittently) announcing my retirement. ;)

Thanks for the link. Webwit could be uber acerbic at times and I never got the vitriolic attitude he would unleash at times. On his best days he did contribute positively to the forum and he was serious about collecting keyboards. But whatever, people do move on to other things and there is nothing wrong with that.

Offline spolia optima

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 21:33:35 »
Quote from: ch_123;197752

;_;
keyboards!

Offline aegrotatio

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 22:03:19 »
What we need is a new NKRO, transposition, ghosting, and scanning scandal.
Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 June 2010, 23:25:32 »
Quote from: aegrotatio;197793
What we need is a new NKRO, transposition, ghosting, and scanning scandal.

tee hee.  good times, good times. ;)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 04:08:14 »
Some new, yet undiscovered switch type couldn't hurt either. Alas, things like that don't come along every day, and what's out there is pretty well-documented right now.

But quite honestly, this was bound to happen at some point. That, and people tend to move on when they consider the topic seriously exhausted.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline kriminal

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 07:20:35 »
mehhh... just a topre short.. after that im good...
love my brown cherry to..
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline itlnstln

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 07:32:35 »
This forum has changed quite a bit over time.  At first it was more about just checking out cool keyboards, and these days, there's a lot more technical talk, modding, etc.  All of that is cool, but personally, I don't find it all that interesting.  All the nergasming bores me a bit, and I would rather join in more of the off-topic conversations and finding out about new products more than layouts, voltages, controllers, etc.  I'm much more of an off-the-shelf guy.  That said, there are some interesting folks here, and I do enjoy talking to some of you, but I do find myself quite a bit less interested in the convo recently.

Offline bitflipper

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 10:16:45 »
I'm waiting for someone to start the official 4th of July cooking thread.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 10:17:01 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197893
This forum has changed quite a bit over time.  At first it was more about just checking out cool keyboards, and these days, there's a lot more technical talk, modding, etc.  All of that is cool, but personally, I don't find it all that interesting.  All the nergasming bores me a bit, and I would rather join in more of the off-topic conversations and finding out about new products more than layouts, voltages, controllers, etc.  I'm much more of an off-the-shelf guy.  That said, there are some interesting folks here, and I do enjoy talking to some of you, but I do find myself quite a bit less interested in the convo recently.

i'm trying to be more of an off-the-shelf guy. That was a big part of the reason I dropped out of mech board modding.  I found it was never-ending, often frustrating, and kind of a money pit :)  Cant really mod rubber dome boards the same way, and so that was a way to get myself to drop that habit.

I'm only on here these days when I'm stuck in front of the computer and have a few minutes to kill (like right now waiting for the HP live chat guy to catch up with me) and its easy to drop into this site, see whats going on, and leave a random/spontaneous comment before disappearing again.

But yea i'm more inclined to join a pop culture/new gadget/political argument thread than I am to join a pure keyboard thread, lol.

Offline chimera15

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 10:54:06 »

Is this a stage we all go through, or is it only the most informed and intelligent of us that reach a plateau of input device delight? Am I to be bereft of useful posts, and left only to troll?

Yes, I went through it. I thought I had all the keyboards I would ever want 6 months ago, and had to work on school stuff, so decided to stop reading.  Then I was telling someone about a keyboard, and came back here, and got addicted again. lol  Give it a few months, and come back and see if anything interesting has happened.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline MsKeyboard

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 11:29:15 »
Quote from: itlnstln;197893
This forum has changed quite a bit over time.

I have to agree, but that is not always a bad thing.  This forum has been a great place for me to escape and hang out with others who, for whatever reason, find keyboards and mice exciting topics of discussion.  While I HATE seeing some posts go COMPLETELY off-topic, it is rarely not entertaining or somewhat enlightening.  There have been some real intense disagreements, and unfortunately they have sometimes become personal, but for the most part it seems that everyone steps back, dusts themselves off and moves on.  This is really all just part of being a society, even if we are just a slightly skewed segment of the greater computer nerd clan.

I would like to think that everyone has a voice and can find a forum in which to share their interests, goals, and passions.  This is one such place, and it is disappointing and somewhat sad to see members that have contributed SOOOO much to the vast amount of information shared here leave because sometimes people can not let go and move on.  I myself have had bouts of PMS, but everyone deserves their transgressions.  In the infamous words of the Great Rodney King, "can't we all just get along?"

Enough said, thanks for taking the time to let me spew.

[climbing off soap box now]

Offline kriminal

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 11:39:07 »
mkay... we need a someone to replace webby ASAP!!
forum pretty much boring without him ;(..
hmm or i could go lol @ eIBM and MS windows\computer in lab tech.. whatever guy.. that usually gives me pleasure :D.

though i find it hard to take forum attacks personally.. i mean some unknown dude typed some slanderous TEXT against me... oooh im so pissed XD.

i usually just lol when webby has his outbursts..
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2010, 11:41:33 by kriminal »
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline kriminal

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 11:47:10 »
ahahahahaha

oh come on its real funny when the solo\trio?? nerdjizzes over ibm products in his\thier? posts..
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline MsKeyboard

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:19:29 »
Being the 4th, it's gotta be BBQ and Margarita's.  Will start the smoker about 9:00, throw on the ribs and chickens about 10:00, and start perfecting the Tequila to Lime ratio about 11:00.

BTW, who ever suggested Sweet Baby Ray's sauce, mucho gracias!

Hope you all have a Great 4th, and being the ever-so-gracious American, please feel free to raise your glass and celebrate independence with us this weekend......Later

Offline itlnstln

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:23:32 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;197956
A bunch of really good stuff

Agreed.  I don't think the forum changing is a bad thing.  In fact, I think it has done a lot of good in the sense that we have a much better technical understanding of how it all works.  For me, though, I don't really fit in the current atmosphere of the forum. I don't have the time or desire to mod or to take stuff apart or to try Colemak or whatever.  I just want to know when I can buy a new, badass keyboard, and the forum is still good for that.  That, and some of the other conversations are good, too.  Hell, I have never posted anywhere near as much in one forum in my entire life.

Offline didjamatic

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:24:33 »
Sweet Baby Rays...  Hit 'em with a freeze pop!

OOPS - FORGOT TO MENTION: NSFW (Language)

« Last Edit: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:29:39 by didjamatic »
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline itlnstln

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 12:25:50 »
Gates barbecue sauce is good too.  You can find it at Barbecues Galore.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 13:17:15 »
"BBQ boygers and cheeken on da grill."

There was a favorite BBQ sauce called "Bottled Hell" in the midwest; haven't seen it on a store shelf since I moved to the left coast. I'd consider trading a Model M for a case of Bottled Hell.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline MsKeyboard

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 13:25:07 »
Mexican martini's are easy. (must be over 21 to continue reading)

Take 3 or 4 small limes (the ones about the size of a golf ball, best picked up at a grocery catering to the Latino crowd) and squeeze juice into a mixing glass.

Add equal amount of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water heated until dissolved, in case you don't have any pre-made)

Then add Contreau, typically an equal amount to what is already in the glass.

Finally add Tequila, and no "Jose Cuervo" is not Tequila.  This is not your Joe's Bar cocktail, use a good reposado tequila like Corellejo or Cazadores.  Usually you want to once again add an equal amount to what is already in the glass.

Pour into a glass of crushed ice, or shake over ice and pour into a cold martini glass, whichever is your preference.

Pretty simple recipe, just start with fresh limes and double the total with each addition.

Or better yet, just show up Sunday and I'll make you one fresh!

Later.......

Offline aegrotatio

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 14:50:33 »
I want everyone to stop using the bloggers' crutch "that said" and "having said that."

This is the only sauce you'll need:

Daily Drivers: Ducky DK1087XM || DSI ASK-6600 || Rosewill RK-9000 BL, BR, BL, and RE || ABS M1 || Das Keyboard Silent || HHKB Lite and Lite 2 || DSI Big Font (kids love it)
Yearning for: Any ALPS keyboard || Any tenkeyless mechanical keyboard
Permanent collection: Poker Blue and Brown || Adesso MKB-125B || SIIG MiniTouch Geek Hack Space Saver || Chicony 5181 Monterey Blue || Chicony 5191 Clone Cherry Blues || Key Tronic 3600 || Unicomp Endurapro & SmarTrex || A crate of IBM Model M and Model M Space Saving boards || NeXTstation Slab || Amiga 3000 || BTC-5100C black and beige || SIIG MiniTouch Plus black and beige
Retired collection: SIIG MiniTouch Monterey Blue || Razer BlackWidow

Offline hyperlinked

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 14:51:22 »
Quote from: ripster;197962
Why isn't this in offtopic subsection anyway.  OP must be a loser.

I think it's a dig at Welly.

Welly = Keyboards
Keyboards = Tools

Therefore

Welly = Tool

I'm good at translating passive aggressive. Yes I am!
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Nonmouse

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:03:18 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;198000

Finally add Tequila, and no "Jose Cuervo" is not Tequila.  This is not your Joe's Bar cocktail, use a good reposado tequila like Corellejo or Cazadores.  Usually you want to once again add an equal amount to what is already in the glass.

They actually do make some good tequilas- their Tradicional is a very nice, low-middle priced reposado, and their Riserva de la Familia is an excellent, smoky añejo.  It's just the Gold and Silver that are crap.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:25:59 »
Tequila's all well and good, but last time I had it, there was a worm in it. Yuck!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Nonmouse

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 15:55:52 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;198060
Tequila's all well and good, but last time I had it, there was a worm in it. Yuck!

No, it didn't.  No tequila is bottled with a worm.  A very few mezcals are bottled with a "worm" (actually a moth larva), but no tequilas.

Offline itlnstln

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 16:03:36 »
Mezcal is some nasty stuff.

Offline Nonmouse

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 30 June 2010, 16:32:27 »
Quote from: itlnstln;198089
Mezcal is some nasty stuff.

Nah, there are some excellent artisanal mezcals out there. Not a whole lot of it makes it to the sates, but some does.

Offline pfink

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 11:32:53 »
Quote from: ricercar;197998
"BBQ boygers and cheeken on da grill."

There was a favorite BBQ sauce called "Bottled Hell" in the midwest; haven't seen it on a store shelf since I moved to the left coast. I'd consider trading a Model M for a case of Bottled Hell.

Is this the stuff?

Gib's Bottled Hell Hot Pepper Sauce

Offline washuai

• http://home.earthlink.net/~haruai/
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 13:02:00 »
Hot sauce != BBQ sauce.  Jack Daniels BBQ sauce is my sauce.  I want to try Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce, though . .
⌨(home)Realforce 87U ⌨(backup) Filco Majestouch 104 Brown ⌨(backup)Cherry G80-8200LPDUS ⌨(work)Leopold FC200RT/AB
☛CST L-Trac-X ☛Logitech Wireless Optical Trackman ☛ Razer 3500 dpi ☛MS Explorer DeathAdder

Lay-a-bouts:  ⌨Full 109 Key Virtually Indestructable  Keyboard ⌨Compaq Radio Quack GYUR84SK
Wishlist: ⌨KBDmania Pure ⌨Déck 82 ice/frost/toxic/royal ⌨Ricercar spos G86-62410EUAGSA ☠ ✞⌨miniGuru(s) ☠
 ✐Intuos or Cintiq

Offline didjamatic

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 13:12:33 »
Dr.P or Coke + Worcestershire + Soy Sauce = marinade

Offline didjamatic

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 13:47:52 »
I hope to smoke some meat this summer.  (yes, I realize how wide I just opened that door and no this has no connection to the topre **** thread)  I've been using a gas grill for a few years but saved my old charcoal smoker with plans to learn to use it to do real BBQ with smoke.  I hear you can take a rough, tough chuck roast and smoke it for 8 hours and it will fall apart.  I just need the tethered/lead thermometer whatever it's called so I can monitor the meat temp without opening the smoker.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 13:59:58 »
I like Diana Sauce, the cracked pepper variety, but apparently this makes me some kind of wuss according to people from out West.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline MsKeyboard

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:04:23 »
Didja, you don't need any fancy thermometer, just get one from Home Depot that you can install in the side of the area where the meat sits.  Smoking is just like using an oven but with flavor added.  Keep the area where the meat sits about 275-300 degrees constant (about 6 hours), and add some kind of hardwood (mesquite preferred) every once in awhile for the smoke.  Be careful when you add the wood cause the temp will soar for a bit.  One trick I learned is to grab some foil and wrap the meat about 45 minutes or so before you are done.  This keeps the juices in the meat.  Another trick, especially with chicken, is take a squirt bottle and add a 50/50 mixture of water and a wine vinegar, shake before each use and spray down the meat about every 30 minutes or so.  Creates kind of a glaze that is tasteless but helps lock in the juices.  Good luck!

BTW, beer can chicken is GREAT, but usually have a hard time getting the cans away from the boys......

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
pulling a Wellington
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:24:14 »
Quote from: wellington1869;197744
Its just a keyboard forum folks.

That cut deep.

Offline Rajagra

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:39:58 »
We should stay on topic. Is this what you mean by 'pulling a Wellington'?

P.S. Never accept a drink from a Canadian.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:47:23 by Rajagra »

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:45:35 »
Quote from: Rajagra;198458
We should stay on topic. Is this what you mean by 'pulling a Wellington'?

tee hee. dude's nekid.

Offline wellington1869

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 17:46:44 »
Quote from: iMav;198452
That cut deep.

:) I forgot to add that its the best keyboard forum in the US. :)

Offline bigpook

pulling a Wellington
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 01 July 2010, 18:26:17 »
wow, the toe in the glass....eyebleach more eyebleach