Author Topic: Beginner friendly 65/60% mechanical keyboard  (Read 1976 times)

Offline muralmule

Beginner friendly 65/60% mechanical keyboard
« on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 08:50:25 »
Hello!

I've been doing some research into creating my own custom mechanical keyboard (highly prefer 65%/60% with arrow keys). I would also like to get a (premade?) board that does not require soldering. However, almost all of the things I find are out of stock or take months to arrive (KBDFans, Drop etc.) (I'm in EU). Is this normal? Do I have to wait to snatch up some parts to make my own keyboard?

Any suggestions on what to get or look out for right now are really appreciated!

For switches I really liked the (sound) of the Halo clear & Holy panda, but again, suggestion on what to look out for are welcome here aswell as I've just started really looking into them.

The only thing I have found so far that has a reasonable shipping is the Drop ALT Barebones Mechanical Keyboard, but then again I'm unsure of what kind of keycaps to get or if that even matters, and same for the switches.

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 May 2020, 08:59:58 by muralmule »

Offline envyy24

Re: Beginner friendly 65/60% mechanical keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 09:27:06 »
You have

I've been doing some research into creating my own custom mechanical keyboard

Then you ask
Do I have to wait to snatch up some parts to make my own keyboard?

So im very confused already. Yes custom keyboard generally mean you need to get different parts to customize the keyboard to your likings.

For switches I really liked the (sound) of the Halo clear & Holy panda, but again, suggestion on what to look out for are welcome here aswell as I've just started really looking into them
Yeah bad news holy panda would takes months even if you put in your order now. Not suggesting you to not do it, just saying the wait will prolong.

Offline muralmule

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 09:31:33 »
You have

I've been doing some research into creating my own custom mechanical keyboard

Then you ask
Do I have to wait to snatch up some parts to make my own keyboard?

So im very confused already. Yes custom keyboard generally mean you need to get different parts to customize the keyboard to your likings.

For switches I really liked the (sound) of the Halo clear & Holy panda, but again, suggestion on what to look out for are welcome here aswell as I've just started really looking into them
Yeah bad news holy panda would takes months even if you put in your order now. Not suggesting you to not do it, just saying the wait will prolong.

I was referring to the limited stock of the parts I found, not that I need different parts. I'm just a bit overwhelmed with all the different options and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 23:25:48 »
I've been doing some research into creating my own custom mechanical keyboard (highly prefer 65%/60% with arrow keys). I would also like to get a (premade?) board that does not require soldering. However, almost all of the things I find are out of stock or take months to arrive (KBDFans, Drop etc.) (I'm in EU). Is this normal? Do I have to wait to snatch up some parts to make my own keyboard?

For switches I really liked the (sound) of the Halo clear & Holy panda, but again, suggestion on what to look out for are welcome here aswell as I've just started really looking into them.

The only thing I have found so far that has a reasonable shipping is the Drop ALT Barebones Mechanical Keyboard, but then again I'm unsure of what kind of keycaps to get or if that even matters, and same for the switches.
Everything is sold out due to Covid and companies redesigning for RGB.

You will find VERY few boards with Hako switches (or basically anything not Cherry/Gateron/Kailh/Outemu), they simply are not made in large enough batches, too expensive and not enough demand. This leaves you with a hot swap or learning to solder (EASY!). Hot swap is nice, but I wouldn't trust it in a high end board I expected to last. Soldering is cheap and easy (I've done it with Dollar Store soldering irons in a pinch), don't stress it. It's desoldering that's difficult.

If you don't care about quality and longevity look at GMMK  and Keychron. The Keychron I hear is really tall in height though, some find it uncomfortable (also the aluminum case is just a sleeve). I have a GMMK for switch testing, it's not bad, especially for the money. Would I put it on the same level as my custom or Fiklco, absolutely not, I view it as sort of disposable. The front of it is pretty low actually, which is nice but I'm not sure I'd spend a lot of money designing a case for one.

Don't buy a switch based on sound, feel matters far more. Don't test a switch out of your price range either or you may end up trying to shave costs elsewhere. While they are the heart of a board, you can't miss something you never tried.

Caps do matter, thin pbt is hellish, thick pbt is heavenly (1.4mm if greater), ABS falls in the middle in most cases.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Tinman39

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:09:04 »
I am relatively new to all of this, so I don't know everything. That being said, I just got a GMMK Compact specifically for the use of being able to try out switches for the 65% board I am going to make once my parts arrive. They are not that expensive and I like mine a lot. I also would not be too afraid to solder anything switch related on a keyboard. I learned to solder at around 7 years old and things like switches are something I would consider some of the easiest stuff out there. The kit I got is not a hot swap board. I plan on testing a lot of switches on my GMMK before I build that, but I am also not too worried if I find a switch I like a lot more down the line and have to switch it out.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 17:26:08 »
Yep, do what tinman did if you're testing for a custom board. How's it going tinman? What switches are you going to go with? Do you know yet?