Author Topic: Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Spyder96

Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps
« on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 21:43:31 »
Hi guys, so my father in law has a Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer which uses ABS to print. I was wondering if anyone knew if I could use that to print Cherry Profile keycaps. If so, could anyone help by pointing me towards the right direction of where to start, I am going to spend a month with him to learn how to make custom aluminum / metal keyboard cases and hopefully with the 3d printer, some awesome ABS keycaps!

Offline jamster

Re: Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer / ABS Keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 22:53:44 »
Just go to thingverse or shapeways and search for keycaps.

Offline katotaka

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 02:27:49 »
lemme burst you bubble before you get too excited

DaVinci
ABS
Cherry Profile keycaps (with FDM 3DP technology)

these all sound the opposite of awesome to me

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 04:27:18 »
The Davinci is fine, 3d printing hasn't progressed much on the hardware front except at the high end. Most gains have been software.

You can do a keyboard (for cheap) but as for caps...
It can be done, but the stems can be a bit weak and I haven't really seen anyone make any caps I thought were good, much less great. And that's if you don't even take into consideration legends. Worse, you can buy a pretty good set of blank keycaps for about what the plastic costs.
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | HMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)