Author Topic: Spray Lubing switches - A guide  (Read 13193 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Spray Lubing switches - A guide
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 21:42:34 »
Disassembling your switches and then spraying lubricant onto the sliders is a perfectly valid way to lube your switches. Get a piece of foam and some toothpicks, put one slider on each toothpick (insert the toothpick point into the indentation at the bottom), and apply 1-2 thin even coats of DuPont Dry Film spray or equivalent, making sure to let them dry completely and use a well-ventilated work area.
This will only work for linears, but yes it can work.
This also has the same problem as hand lubing in that it requires switch removal which was why spray lubing became a thing to begin with.

- DO NOT spray lube switches that are soldered onto the PCB already. This was by far the worst result and per what many people said above, ruined the board and switches.
You probably should have put this at the top of what you wrote since the whole reason this gained traction is because of the idea that you didn't have to desolder.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2021, 21:59:12 by Leslieann »
Filco MJ2 L.E. w/hand milled Vortex case, custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, sound dampened,  Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs | GMMK TKL | Magicforce 68 | YMDK75 | KBT Race S L.E. | Das Pro (Costar model) | GH60 | IBM Model M (x2)

Offline pmdbt

• KeebsForAll Storefront
« Reply #51 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 00:43:14 »
You probably should have put this at the top of what you wrote since the whole reason this gained traction is because of the idea that you didn't have to desolder.

Fair enough haha. I guess my personal reason for liking spray lubing was that it can greatly reduce the active time required to lube switches compared to hand lubing, which for me is a huge benefit and I figured that others might have liked it for the same reason. But yeah, spray lubing without desoldering is sadly not the way to go.
ID80, Rama M65-A, Black Inks V2

Offline IceCandle

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 09:26:40 »
 Just use the keyboard without touching it instead of wasting the whole thing.
 One of the things that has spread since a long time ago, which self-proclaimed enthusiasts recommended to the newbies, is the 'spray lube'. Especially in the capacitive switch community, it's a bit cumbersome for beginners to build back to their original state with retaining the 'balance', so it's easy to try the way, and they're keep recommending wrong way to lube. Applying the lubricant between the slider and the slider housing? Oh it sounds much easier than to fully desolder a keyboard, pull out switches and lubricate. But I don't know how many people in the world have sensitive hands and are skilled enough to apply the same amount of liquid to equalize all the switches with the amount of lubrication. Maybe a master craftsman who has been making a Swiss watch for 30 years? And you think the beginner can successfully lubricate such ridiculous levels of difficulty? It's a method that they've never done before, don't know how much lubrication is needed. It's inevitable that each switch has a different amount of lubrication, so the auditory tactile feeling and the sensed pressure change all jagged. Someone who knows a thing or two won't even try.
 Also, the risk of over-lubrication increases greatly, and the mechanism that over-lubrication occurs the most is whether the lube was sprayed too much in the first place or luckily some switches were lubricated satisfactorily, but the other switch was sprayed again because of scratchiness and noise. In case of over-lubrication, the mechanical switches will rattle with lube in the bottom housing, and in the case of capacitive switches, the lube will affect rubber dome, which, if worse, can invade the PCB. The ideal goal of lubrication is to create an even, smooth, unified sense of typing of all keys, and the ridiculous method of simplified lubrication completely goes against the purpose of this.
 The expensive topre ones (realforce, hhkb, novatouch) are the most damaged keyboards by this simple lubrication, and a huge number of keyboards have been sacrificed for a very long time, probably still being tried, which isn't even mentioned in a real enthusiast community. "Spray lubing made my keyboard sound much better!" After reading these type of comments, still can't tell them not to do this because "I've already done it. None of your business". It's obvious that they're going to react like this, and a couple of replies will have no effect.
 Anyway, there's no such thing as 'spray lube'. It's a way to send a keyboard to death, not to improve it. It may be a good idea to do it on a keyboard that'll be soon thrown away, but please don't, on a precious keyboard that you've decided to use for a long time. Oh, and don't even bother to do some stupid tricks that send the switch to the other world with contact conditioner or WD40. Even if you're an outsider, please have some common sense. Speaking about common sense, you're not worthy of a keyboard if you applied wet lubricant, saying "Oh, I can't hear the click. I guess that's why they said mx blues shouldn't be lubricated. Damn it."
TL;DR
1. Any kind of simplified lubing.
2. Don't do it.
3. I told you not to do it.

Written by ASRH (not me)
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 January 2021, 09:31:21 by IceCandle »