Author Topic: Any hot-swappable 65% with the magicforce/varmilo layout  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Learis

Any hot-swappable 65% with the magicforce/varmilo layout
« on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 22:46:39 »
The magicforce 68, varmilo 68, and ducky miya pro are the only keyboards I know of with this particular layout. I desire this layout because it is the only 65% layout that has all standard keys, not a single irregular key which makes keycaps a breeze.

Unfortunately none of them are hotswappable. I've done a lot of google searching and can't find any that are. I just wanted to ask and see if any versions of this layout exist which have hot swaps on them? Here's a pic of the magicforce in case you wanted to see the layout.

251162-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Edit: Although there's nothing currently available, there's some very promising interest checks available right now with the units hopefully shipping sometime in the first half of 2021.

IKKI 68: Aurora: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108636.msg2958355#msg2958355
Saka 68: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108638.0
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 October 2020, 00:05:26 by Learis »
Mend and Defend

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Any hot-swappable 65% with the magicforce/varmilo layout
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 23:11:16 »
Nope that layout is unusual, Durgod also has a somewhat similar layout, but no hot swap.
BTW, the Ducky is a Varmillo, it was a joint effort.

You may be able to desolder and add Mill-Max sockets, keep in mind "may" as they don't fit everything. Still requires a lot of effort to desolder.
Another option is an MF68 PCB, which is a direct replacement for the Magicforce, with it you add switches and a pro Micro controller, meaning it's also now programmable.  LF keyboards also offers a Varmillo pcb that is programmable (select 68 key), backlit and no switches. Both make an easier start point than desoldering to add socket and both also add features, I'd do that rather than trying to desolder and then add sockets. That's the plan for my Magicforce, I have the parts just need to build it.

There was at least one custom built this way but good luck finding one, especially at a reasonable price. LFK at one time also offered plex based keyboards with this layout but it's now gone (you could ask if they can still do one). There was also an aftermarket aluminum VA68 case by YMDK but that too isn't available anymore.

It's just an odd layout, which is a shame because it really is a good layout.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Learis

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 September 2020, 23:23:18 »
Thank you for the info. As much as I enjoy this hobby, I'm not at the point yet to commit to learning soldering. But I'll keep this in mind for the future, as well as keep my fingers crossed that they offer a ready-made hotswap version of this at some point.
Mend and Defend

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 03:15:06 »
If you start with an empty PCB, soldering switches is actually a great place to learn to solder, especially a cheap pcb like the MF68(!). You don't need a $100 iron, you can do it with a  cheapie from Walmart or even the dollar store.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 05:04:08 »
Just bought Miya Pro for this layout. Although for me main reason are the separated nav keys and yes... I am already looking forward to replace switches.
Thank you Leslieann for extensive info. Shame it looks like there is no programming alternative for Miya (I don't like floating switches).
Also it's worth mentioning Varnilo's Premium Customization where you can choose biggest variety of switches I saw on prebuilt keeb.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 07:43:27 by LASERman Projects »

Offline parablol

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 09:32:01 »
On LFKeyboards.com there is are hotswap LFK 68 & 78 PCBs & cases. They have the same layout.
« Last Edit: Sun, 06 September 2020, 10:18:44 by parablol »

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 16:04:09 »
On LFKeyboards.com there is are hotswap LFK 68 & 78 PCBs & cases. They have the same layout.
Looks like this is not available. Can't even see price.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 06 September 2020, 22:35:24 »
Looks like this is not available. Can't even see price.
The 68 version is currently out of stock, but it does exist.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Learis

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 21:54:42 »
Figured I'd post this in case anyone else is in a similar situation. But it looks like I fished my wish! This is it!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108636.msg2958355#msg2958355
Mend and Defend

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 22:16:27 »
no pcb does not exist your best bet is to solder hotswap socket
have a good day

tree leaf
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Learis

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 17 September 2020, 23:40:39 »
no pcb does not exist your best bet is to solder hotswap socket
have a good day

tree leaf

Lol you literally posted in both interest checks that have this layout; so I guess you misunderstood me. I posted the link for the first one above your post, but here's the other.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108638.0

It looks like out of the blue this layout has come into popularity again.
Mend and Defend

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:20:15 »
Yes my friend, but those are not available now :)

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:32:27 »
I wonder if you could use that Aurora pcb and mount it in varmilo 68...
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Drop CSTM80 | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 19 September 2020, 22:35:54 »
I wonder if you could use that Aurora pcb and mount it in varmilo 68...
It depends if they have the same PCB dimensions , sometimes PCB is designed around keyboard and sometimes keyboard is designed around PCB.

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 08:10:35 »
Another board with this layout is brewing: 坂(Saka) 68, and yes there is hot-swap PCB option.

edit: I see it was lined by OP already
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 October 2020, 08:42:48 by LASERman Projects »