Author Topic: [IC] Let's Tango (Split 40% Ortho) - Major Update  (Read 3275 times)

Offline 0ldMate

[IC] Let's Tango (Split 40% Ortho) - Major Update
« on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 07:20:04 »
Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/73UAgL1A8Yw2ArFe8

Hi everyone!

This is my first interest check and first design so any feedback is welcome. Anyways, onto the fun stuff.

I'd like to introduce you to what I call Let's Tango! This board is a split ortholinear 40% board that uses the Let's Split PCB.

I've been looking for a split planck style board with a nice case for a while and never found anything I liked so I decided to design one myself. This design was meant to be simple and cheap whilst also remaining high quality. It is an aluminium case with the following features:

- Split ortho design using the Let's Split PCB
- 7 degree typing angle
- Top mount design
- Swappable plate
- Swappable weight

Currently, the case will only come in two colours (Black and Silver), however, I'm open to more colours, if you'd prefer a different colour please let me know in the form below and if there's enough interest I'll see if I can make it happen.

I'm looking to sell these as a kit with the PCB and everything needed to build the board (not including the switches and keycaps) however if there's interest for just the case I can make arrangements for that too.

The kit will include (aluminium):

- 2x Top cases
- 2x Bases
- 2x Plates
- 2x Weights
- 2x PCBs with all components to assemble
- TRS cable & USB cable
- Screws and rubber feet to assemble

Extras available include:

- Weights - Brass, Aluminium, Polycarbonate (frosted or clear)
- Plates - Brass, Aluminium, POM, Carbon Fibre, Polycarbonate

Here are some more pictures of the prototype: https://imgur.com/a/HoDK2hY

I am very open to change on this design and I'm happy to make alterations based on requests in this interest check. I have some further changes I'd like to make to the design now that I have a prototype. If you'd like something changed please do fill out the form and let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Price: Aiming for (but hopefully lower) $180 USD for the kit + shipping with extras available (plates/weights)

If there is enough interest in this design, this will be sold as an in stock item from Sydney Australia to allow for fast shipping times so you can get your product ASAP.

Here are some renders: https://imgur.com/a/vNk8shn
Interest Check Form: https://forms.gle/73UAgL1A8Yw2ArFe8
Reddit IC Post: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/j0qxsa/ic_lets_tango_split_40_ortho/

Thanks everyone!

Discord: 0ldMate#4666
Reddit: RampageCrew

Special thanks to u/wootpatoot for letting me use his PCB design.

================ UPDATES ==================

24th of October 2020
Hey everyone,
Just providing a small update on things and how the ball is rolling. So far the support has been awesome so thanks for everyone who has filled out the IC. There are a few things I've changed on the design (weight design, adding tenting support) and will be making a few more minor ones. I'll be posting a picture of the new design renders in the next few weeks once I finalize it all, after that I'll order another prototype just to confirm everything is right and then the big order will be placed. I am currently looking to change the PCB from the Let's Split to the Vitamins Included PCB as it provides more features. I've placed an order for some test PCBs and should hopefully receive the prototypes shortly.

Cheers! Will post again soon with updates!

20th of November 2020
Hey Everyone,
Thanks everyone for the support so far, I've had a lot of suggestions on what to change/include so here's what I've changed:
- I've decided to swap the PCB to the Vitamins Included PCB by Duckle29, I've been working closely with him on getting this board ready and working. I recently got a prototype made of the revision 2.1 board and it is fantastic. This run will be the first time this revision board has been made so I'm looking forward to it. Changing the PCB to this board adds hotswap functionality, USB-C, backlit LEDs and it's all pre assembled. I've been playing with it for a while and really like it and hope you all will too. Since it'll be the first print run of this version, I'll be looking to offer the PCB separately as well.
- Added tenting holes in the base plate and I'm waiting on a few stand off samples to test out, then I'll look to put together kits for tenting as an optional extra
- Added pinstripe diffuse - this is going to be a thin piece of frosted plastic to diffuse the backlight from the PCB which will be an optional extra
- Altered the weight design to add a bit of flare rather than the original - check out the pictures to see two different designs I'm deciding on and give me your opinion
- Ran a few renders with different chamfer sizes to compare the differences - check out the pictures to see what you prefer
- Increased the size (and shape of the cable outputs) of the case to allow the new PCB to fit
- Added alignment poles, adjusted screw positions to hide screws and added rubber feet guides
I'm super happy with the new design and will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

So, from here, I'll be ordering a new prototype design and will get a few colour samples from them, after that I'll send out a new google form for you all to fill out for what colour you want, this will allow me to place an order that will hopefully get everyone the colour they prefer. Then i'll be placing the big order!!
Thanks everyone, if you've got any questions feel free to reach out to me
Pictures of update - https://imgur.com/a/Nbqdpgy
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:19:57 by 0ldMate »

Offline 0ldMate

Re: [IC] Let's Tango (Split 40% Ortho)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 07:21:08 »
Reserved

Offline dibstern

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 08:00:01 »
Nice work! I love a split Planck. I donít know why, because itís not hugely different, but Iím liking the aesthetics of the Zplit a lot more (though that might not ever run, it remains to be seen). Top mount is nice, brass and polycarbonate plate options are nice, price is great.

Would you consider changing the design to use the larger angled case edges on the Zplit or the Tokyo60?

Space gray might be nice too, but Iíd love to see what your silver looks like before saying that.

Congrats on the IC :-)

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 08:20:04 »
Nice work! I love a split Planck. I donít know why, because itís not hugely different, but Iím liking the aesthetics of the Zplit a lot more (though that might not ever run, it remains to be seen). Top mount is nice, brass and polycarbonate plate options are nice, price is great.

Would you consider changing the design to use the larger angled case edges on the Zplit or the Tokyo60?

Space gray might be nice too, but Iíd love to see what your silver looks like before saying that.

Cheers for the feedback, after the IC I can definitely play with the sizing of the chamfer of the edges and post some renders of it.

Currently only have the black prototype as I wanted to make sure there was interest before grabbing any other colours but yeah I agree space gray would look nice.

Offline vosechu

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 10:18:49 »
Wow, what an incredible price! And a great design! Glwic!

Online Kokaloo

• 🤘(ē ω ē)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 10:22:32 »
Oh yes, extremely interested. Will be following super closely.
The compatibility with let's splits pcbs is honestly all this needed, very excited to have a top mount split planck, it's one of my favorite layouts

Tented Iris ||| idb60 ||| Jer Mini ||| P3d Prime-E ||| Tex Shinobi ||| P3d Phoenix45

Offline parablol

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 13:40:09 »
Love this

Offline fluxlab

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 21:13:58 »
Love the idea of a brass-weighted split!

Hey, creator of Zplit here. I agree it has taken way too long for the Zplit gb. I am working hard for a mid October start date :).

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 07:02:56 »
Thanks for the support!

I'm currently looking at providing a tenting option, I was hoping to be able to find some nice side tenting legs but have had no luck and I'm not sure how much it'd be to design and make my own just yet. I may just end up adding some holes in the bottom for tenting so that way they're hidden if not used.

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 08:07:11 »
There aren't enough high-quality cases and setups for small and split boards. Count me interested!

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 09:33:44 »
Quick update, I'll be adding m3 holes for tenting.

I'm currently playing with the plate design, might be changing this up but I'm open to thoughts or concerns.

Cheers!

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 October 2020, 23:44:31 »
Just edited the post with updates on how progress is going, here's the update text here:

Hey everyone,
Just providing a small update on things and how the ball is rolling. So far the support has been awesome so thanks for everyone who has filled out the IC. There are a few things I've changed on the design (weight design, adding tenting support) and will be making a few more minor ones. I'll be posting a picture of the new design renders in the next few weeks once I finalize it all, after that I'll order another prototype just to confirm everything is right and then the big order will be placed. I am currently looking to change the PCB from the Let's Split to the Vitamins Included PCB as it provides more features. I've placed an order for some test PCBs and should hopefully receive the prototypes shortly.
Cheers! Will post soon with updates!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 October 2020, 23:57:41 by 0ldMate »

Offline equalunique

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 09:07:48 »
Thank you for the update! This thing is a beauty!

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 09:42:17 »
FR4 plates would be a nice addition if that's possible.

Offline Barri

• Praise the Lord of Bones
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 12:26:39 »
I defo want this.

Added you on discord.

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 26 October 2020, 18:57:23 »
FR4 plates would be a nice addition if that's possible.

Maybe in a future run, however at the moment, I don't want to add anything more to make it harder to juggle.

I defo want this.

Added you on discord.

Perfect, just added you. I haven't made a discord yet as I'm not sure if it's worth it yet, however there is a small discussion on the 40% discord server.

Offline econeuler

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 04:46:29 »
Very nice, looks great  :thumb:
I'm definitely in, have been using a 40% ortho as a daily for a while and want to try the same layout but split!
If there is a possibility for an EU proxy, e.g., splitkb that would be awesome!

Offline 0ldMate

Re: [IC] Let's Tango (Split 40% Ortho) - Major Update
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 08:21:29 »
Just added a pretty big update, here's what's changed!

20th of November 2020
Hey Everyone,
Thanks everyone for the support so far, I've had a lot of suggestions on what to change/include so here's what I've changed:
- I've decided to swap the PCB to the Vitamins Included PCB by Duckle29, I've been working closely with him on getting this board ready and working. I recently got a prototype made of the revision 2.1 board and it is fantastic. This run will be the first time this revision board has been made so I'm looking forward to it. Changing the PCB to this board adds hotswap functionality, USB-C, backlit LEDs and it's all pre assembled. I've been playing with it for a while and really like it and hope you all will too. Since it'll be the first print run of this version, I'll be looking to offer the PCB separately as well.
- Added tenting holes in the base plate and I'm waiting on a few stand off samples to test out, then I'll look to put together kits for tenting as an optional extra
- Added pinstripe diffuse - this is going to be a thin piece of frosted plastic to diffuse the backlight from the PCB which will be an optional extra
- Altered the weight design to add a bit of flare rather than the original - check out the pictures to see two different designs I'm deciding on and give me your opinion
- Ran a few renders with different chamfer sizes to compare the differences - check out the pictures to see what you prefer
- Increased the size (and shape of the cable outputs) of the case to allow the new PCB to fit
- Added alignment poles, adjusted screw positions to hide screws and added rubber feet guides
I'm super happy with the new design and will be interested in hearing your thoughts.

So, from here, I'll be ordering a new prototype design and will get a few colour samples from them, after that I'll send out a new google form for you all to fill out for what colour you want, this will allow me to place an order that will hopefully get everyone the colour they prefer. Then i'll be placing the big order!!
Thanks everyone, if you've got any questions feel free to reach out to me
Pictures of update - https://imgur.com/a/Nbqdpgy

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 10:16:47 »
Hey since the case is bigger, can we get bigger screws and maybe a countersink on the plate to have them mount flush?

I'd prefer to swap them out for socket cap heads if possible, but if that bottom plate isn't thick enough then I understand.

Offline 0ldMate

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 16:31:58 »
Hey since the case is bigger, can we get bigger screws and maybe a countersink on the plate to have them mount flush?

I'd prefer to swap them out for socket cap heads if possible, but if that bottom plate isn't thick enough then I understand.

I can definitely see if I can do that. However I don't think the bottom plate is thick enough but I'll see what I can do