Author Topic: Custom TKL + numpad help (or custom 100% if possible)  (Read 2160 times)

Offline RedBarnacle

Custom TKL + numpad help (or custom 100% if possible)
« on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 22:33:12 »
I would like to build something to replace my current membrane keyboard that I'm typing on now, and I would like to have all of the keys available to me.  I'm a keyboard shortcut power user and I would like to have all of my buttons. Where should I start for building a TKL keyboard? I have seen a good number of PCBs for numpads but it feels harder to find one for the TKL.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

Offline yui

Re: Custom TKL + numpad help (or custom 100% if possible)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 11:24:35 »
tkl is not really that popular, more expensive, looks less clean, more so is 100%, for tkl i know of the XD87 if you do not care for iso support or QMK support or look at the Archeron project (http://acheronproject.com), it is a series of PCB made by Gondolindrim and that i think are all open source, so you could either buy a few PCB from a manufacturer (the project is sponsored by PCBWay for example) or maybe ask him for help, he is an helpful guy but may be busy
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:26:22 »
TKL used to be quite common but ever since 60% took off it's been on the decline. 65% seems to have been the final nail in the coffin.
That said, it's not just a dearth of TKL models at the moment everything's in flux thanks to RGB and Covid, the latter of which has completely disrupted everything from design to shipping. There's little choice for almost any size at the moment.

The other problem you have is assuming there's a standard, 60% is the closest we have to a standardized pcb layout but it's a quirk due to the layout and history. There is no actual standard size for almost any other kleyboard. Sure all full size look the same, but sometimes the f-keys are moved a tiny bit but mostly there's no standard placement for screws. it only gets worse as you go down, TKL may have the 3 extra function keys top right or not, there may be an extra fn key, spacing between the numrow and f-keys can be different and again, screws for mounting are all over. the worst though is probably 75% where almost every design is different. As such, you don't usually see any PCBs offered for anything other a specific case unless it's for a 60%.

So why are there so many numpads? The same reason there's tons of small ergo keyboards, they're small and can be made on smaller hobbyist mills and laser cutters. The size means cheaper machines can be used but also since they are so small you often don't even need a metal plate to make something that feels reasonably stiff. Regardless, they rarely are compatible with other frames, like everything else there is no standardized bolt pattern or layout.

Side note.. If you order from China expect up to 4 months for delivery (probably closer to 2-3).
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 01:59:20 »
Side note.. If you order from China expect up to 4 months for delivery (probably closer to 2-3).
Seems like the US has it pretty bad with china shipping, in france it does not seems to take longer, it even sometime is faster since covid, so depends on where you are, if you are in the US looks like china is a bad idea for you.

Offline icrchi

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 11:34:31 »
If you want a full size board, the cheapest option would be the gmmk. It it also hotswap.
aka u/iCrafterChips

Offline typo

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 11:36:56 »
I have A TX-CP V2 and TX108SE in my stash. Those would be the OP's grail. You could try looking for either one used. Probably slim pickings though. (Bring it haters......with your mom)

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 12:44:47 »
I am a full-size keyboard user too, and it is frustrating that there is such a dearth of customizable full-size mech boards out there. The compromise I've settled on, for now, is a barebones Drop CTRL (high-profile) into which I put Kailh BOX silent Brown switches and SA Dasher keycaps. I have a GK21S hotswap numpad on the way from Amazon to pair up with it. I don't love having to use separate numpads, but it's better than no numpad at all.

Offline yui

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 30 October 2020, 14:18:50 »
I have A TX-CP V2 and TX108SE in my stash. Those would be the OP's grail. You could try looking for either one used. Probably slim pickings though. (Bring it haters......with your mom)
please try to be more mature and stop insulting everyone's mom here, we are trying to be civilized and help each other out and some peoples are already trying to find any reasons to get you banned, so now you know

Offline jo.king

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 13:47:37 »
I currently am running your exact desired setup. I have a Keychron K8 and a BM16 macropad from Kprepublic. The macropad is really the saviour of the set-up. I have a Mac so I use Karabiner Elements to customize the pad to suit exactly what I need. In my case, I have play/pause, skip forward, skip backwards, volume up & down, and then all the numbers.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 14:39:05 »
please try to be more mature and stop insulting everyone's mom here, we are trying to be civilized and help each other out and some peoples are already trying to find any reasons to get you banned, so now you know

I love Yui
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline yui

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 02 November 2020, 02:32:41 »

I love Yui
sorry not available :) but i try to help everyone fairly