Author Topic: [IC] Oceanographer - Official GB Dates, Vendors, and Colors Finalized!!  (Read 48293 times)

Offline Hedgey

PLEASE MOVE ALL CONVERSATION OVER TO THE GB THREAD

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114413.0

Please fill out the new IC Form below.  Even if you filled out the first one, this is a much better gauge for me.
https://forms.gle/gUGY5Gf77aRSkmDH6

UPDATE 08/20: New proto is built as you can see at the bottom of this post.  Very happy with the end results!  GB Date is OFFICIALLY September 1st run on Aeternus.co and Prototypist.net for US and EU/ASIA buyers. 

Oceanographer is a Premium, 45% layout keyboard that is heavily influenced by 2 of my favorite boards; The Pearl and The Minivan.  Oceanographer is an homage to both boards, being that the Pearl coming from the Oyster and the Minivan and related boards being about travel, it was fitting that this board be named Oceanographer.

I’ve been tinkering with the idea of mashing up the Pearl and the Minivan for a really long time.  I love the form factor of the Pearl and the weight, and at the same time, I think the Minivan layout is one of the most efficient and intuitive of any 40/45% layouts currently on the market.  So I finally got enough motivation to download fusion and learn and teach myself the program, as well as get help from fellow users to design my own board.  With the blessing of both Evan and Koobaczech I went ahead plowed through the design phase. 

I knew I wanted a very large brass weight.  Outside of the Pearl and Cajal, there aren’t too many 40’s that have a large brass weight.  However I wanted this one to be different from your standard weight.  I knew I needed it to be unique and stand out, and I enlisted the help of /u/meatsmoothies for artwork to add.  She came up with a fantastic version of a ship on the waves of the ocean and sent it over to me.  I couldn’t be more pleased and we were able to fill a ton of negative space that is always on brass weights on other boards.  On the inside is the name of the board as well just to give it a further unique touch.  (Please note that “FSTS” will not be on any of the boards going forward.  It was only for those that participated in the prototype run.)

Next up I knew I wanted to have an extra column of keys and an arrow blocker similar to a 65% board.  However after going back and forth with /u/KnobleesOblige, we realized we could put both a rotary encoder and an OLED in that column and moved forward with that design change instead of some additional keys. 

When we finally got to the PCB, we included 3 indicator LEDs for layers or other functions, and a speaker similar to the one on the Plank.  This PCB is also a Diode-less STM32 that was designed by /u/KnobleesOblige and features ESD protection.

All of this, plus some additional background work rewarded us with a feature rich, 45% premium board. 

Oceanographers Feature List:

* Minivan Inspired Layout with Multiple Bottom Row Options (1.75U Backspace)
* 2 Piece Aluminum Case
* 3 Degree Typing Angle
* .5U Blocker to separate arrow keys
* Top Mount
* Brass Plate
* Large Brass Weight with artwork by Brooke
* Ship Wheel Engraving on Backside Top
* STM32 Diode-Less PCB with ESD protection designed by Taylor
* USB-C
* Rotary Encoder
* OLED Screen
* Speaker
* Indicator LEDS between Q, W, and E similar to the Minivan

Layout Options

One of my biggest pet peeves is getting renders of a product and then when you order it and receive it, the product is not what you expected.  We’ve been working on this board for nearly 8 months now and ordered prototypes about 3 months ago.  The reason we are just now moving to IC on Reddit, Geekhack, and other sites is that I wanted prototypes in hand before showing to the rest of the community.  It was incredibly important to me to have an actual product in hand so you can see exactly what you will be getting.  Yes it cost money to do a small run of protos, and yes it delayed the IC for a few months, but we felt it necessary to take the time, money, and effort for the results we wanted.  This helps stop delays between an initial IC and then waiting on the GB runner to get prototypes months down the road before starting the GB.  We’ve done the legwork on the back end so you as an end user won’t have to wait additional months. 

So without further adieu, here is the album of prototypes:

https://imgur.com/a/U96EaXM

What’s next for this process?

Start GB

The Biggest thanks in the world go out to a few people for the help and advice along the way!

u/KnoblesseOblige - Man has the patience of a saint. Seriously. I couldn't have done any of this without him, and he has helped excel my knowledge of Fusion 360, tenfold. I also wouldn't have a PCB without him painstakingly routing and building a PCB for this board. He’s also taken on the task of getting the manufacturer, communicating, and ordering prototypes and receiving them as well as being an overall design leader for this project.  I'm so thankful for all of his input, direction, and ideas as well as late night discord streams throughout this process over the last 8 months or so. You rock my man!

/u/meatsmoothies - Artwork for the weight and back of the case done by her. It's unique, breaks the mold and I really love the entire use of the weight instead of just a name on it. You have been very flexible and timely, and for that I'm very grateful!

/u/dingusxmcgee_- Renders. Renders. Renders. Always doing them on the fly and helping me out, you rock and it's much appreciated as always!

/u/Factoryofidols - The idea and hype man who's also been there since I came to him with my layout. He has provided excellent feedback and thoughts, and also been part of many late night streams on design and working through different parts of this board since inception.

u/Koobaczech and /u/Evangs - For your blessings and encouragement to actually make this idea into a reality. 2 of my favorite boards come together in a mashup that has been a dream to actually produce.  Also thank you for being in the prototype run as I’m honored that you love the design as much as I do!

FAQ

• How much will this board cost? - A full base kit will be $350 USD.  Any add-ons such as extra PCBs, or plates will be available at an additional cost.
  • What is included in the Base kit? - Case in your color choice, Brass and FR4 Plates, Brass Weight, PCB, Rotary Encoder, Rotary Knob, OLED and additional case hardware.
  • How much does this board weigh? - Fully built just over 5lbs with switches and keycaps.  With GMK Keycaps one prototype weighed in at 5.05lbs.
  • Will this board have RGB? - No.  I wanted this board to be more “elegant” and as such we left RGB off this version.
  • Will Ortho be available? - No. The 1.75U backspace makes this a little more difficult and we don’t plan on this being available at this time.
  • Will there be custom knobs available in the GB? - Yes, they will be $10 USD each and colors will be finalized shortly.
  • What colors will be available? - Jet Black, Ocean Blue, Rose Gold, Forest Green, and Ursula Purple
  • What Plate Options are available? - Brass and FR4 will be the only options during GB.  After the GB ships to the buyers we will post the plate files for you to have other options available to source on your own such as aluminum, copper, etc...
  • What Keycap Compatibility will I need for this? - Any Base + 40’s kit that includes a 1.75U backspace will fit this board.
  • Will there be any limited editions or founders editions? - No.  I hate the idea of falsely inflating supply/demand due to special editions.  The only “Founders Editions” are those that were in the prototype run and they have a small designation on the weight to signify that.
  • What Vendor are you using? - Aeternus Decorum and Prototypist
  • Will you be using proxies? - Yes. Please see above.

Thank you for looking at this IC and I am excited to hear your feedback and thoughts.  This has been a long time coming for me and I’m excited to share my design with all of you.

-Hedgey
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 September 2021, 10:22:49 by Hedgey »
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline dingusxmcgee

hi sam

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
Uhhhh. Yes pls. Gib

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline JoltFX

Abso... lutely

“𝙁𝙖𝙞𝙩𝙝 𝙞𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙗𝙞𝙧𝙙 𝙩𝙝𝙖𝙩 𝙛𝙚𝙚𝙡𝙨 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙡𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩 𝙬𝙝𝙚𝙣 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙨𝙠𝙮 𝙞𝙨 𝙨𝙩𝙞𝙡𝙡 𝙙𝙞𝙢.”

Offline Hedgey

Alright, formatting should be fixed now.  GH is a pain to work with sometimes haha.
"Resellers don't kill the community, auctioneers kill the community. Look at what happened to Diablo 3"

Offline Jampot_298

Big up my man Hedgey, lovely board dude!

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
Beautiful board. Very nice blue prototype, red would be cool too.

Will it be a limited run? FCFS, raffle? Hoping to get one.

edit: filled IC.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 November 2020, 09:18:04 by ycanales »

Offline fcoury

Yes please :)

Offline Hedgey

Beautiful board. Very nice blue prototype, red would be cool too.

Will it be a limited run? FCFS, raffle? Hoping to get one.

Thank you!  We are considering red for sure.

We will be able to handle up to 300 units if need be.  So most likely just FCFS.

Offline darthcapn

Hi sam.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline Bregoli

Re: [IC] Oceanographer - A premium, feature rich 45% with OLED and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 09:23:48 »
nice board, gamer

Offline Swishy

Re: [IC] Oceanographer - A premium, feature rich 45% with OLED and Rotary Encoder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 09:44:54 »
why you do this to me I am on a college budget. Fr though, I love this board. I will be coping this.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:01:15 »
I want this as my first 40-5%, love the design.  Make this happen! :thumb: (IC submitted - saw this on Reddit as well)

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:12:23 »
treeleaf approved but not approved at the same time because 45% is too little for me
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 11:56:57 »
Hoping the units quantity is enough just so that people that really have been hyped for this can be sure to get their hands on this beauty

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 12:31:16 »
Hoping the units quantity is enough just so that people that really have been hyped for this can be sure to get their hands on this beauty

I think we'll have plenty.  We are planning to be able to handle up to 300 if necessary. 

Offline synthtastic

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 12:38:46 »
This looks damn good.
Expensive plastic makes me sigh.

Offline Hedgey

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 12:58:02 »
hi will this keyset be compatible with minivan

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:19:09 »
I would like this please

Offline mrchan

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:38:12 »
First of all, congrats, this looks looks really nice and the inclusion of that little knob elevates it above some of its competitors in field.
1. I’d love to buy one, please don’t make this super limited in numbers, that would be disappointing; you’ve worked so hard for this you might as well make it available to a larger audience.
2. Red and navy blue would be awesome Color additions.
3. Cool art on the brass piece.
Congrats and good luck on the whole GB, I know I’ll be there trying to obtain one when the time comes!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 14:54:17 »
First of all, congrats, this looks looks really nice and the inclusion of that little knob elevates it above some of its competitors in field.
1. I’d love to buy one, please don’t make this super limited in numbers, that would be disappointing; you’ve worked so hard for this you might as well make it available to a larger audience.
2. Red and navy blue would be awesome Color additions.
3. Cool art on the brass piece.
Congrats and good luck on the whole GB, I know I’ll be there trying to obtain one when the time comes!

Thank you, Mr.Chan! 

I don't anticipate us necessarily reaching our limit on what we'll have available yet.  We'll see as time goes on, but we have plenty of room and I think everyone who wants it should be able to get in on the GB. 

Definitely considering Red and Navy as colors originally, and more and more people keep asking for them, so that's a good thing. 

Offline Drakenocas

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 17:48:14 »
I'm a 100% down for this. 210% down.  I've been wanting a minivan or a pearl.   Keep me updated.

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 17:59:08 »
I'm a 100% down for this. 210% down.  I've been wanting a minivan or a pearl.   Keep me updated.

I saw your IC form response and glad Koob sent you my way.  I'll definitely be updating on all platforms.  Thanks for the feedback too!

Offline Kacperoni

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 18:03:09 »
cool!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 24 November 2020, 19:24:00 »
Oddly drawn to this.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline derzemel

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 03:26:48 »
commented on the r/mk post, but I'll add it here as well.

Are there any options for ISO? (I know, ISO enter on a 45%... I must be mad)

Also, can the 2 space keys be separated to put a 1u key between them?

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Offline Bregoli

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 03:42:20 »
commented on the r/mk post, but I'll add it here as well.

Are there any options for ISO? (I know, ISO enter on a 45%... I must be mad)

Also, can the 2 space keys be separated to put a 1u key between them?

Here is an example of what I am talking about:

Show Image

ISO won't work, this board is standard stagger, not 0.25 stagger like you showed it to be in your KLE.
ISO is 1.5 top and 1.25u bottom, this would require a iso of 1.75 top and 1.5 bottom.

Offline boxfrommoon

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 03:53:08 »
Maybe I finally have use for all the minify gmk kits I have chosen to add to the shopping carts just in case I someday find a real nice 40% board for me. This might be it

Offline byoliven

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 25 November 2020, 04:02:43 »
Can the 4 x 1u layout on the bottom left have the option that shift to 1.25+1.5+1.25 like Minivan? I think its more easy to control and accessible for modifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 17:18:18 »
Can the 4 x 1u layout on the bottom left have the option that shift to 1.25+1.5+1.25 like Minivan? I think its more easy to control and accessible for modifiers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me look into that and see if we can make some small adjustments.

Thanks!

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 27 November 2020, 20:46:03 »
Never used a 45% before (in fact, even 60%) but the inclusion of arrow keys and the lovely design (and heft) is talking to me. Can I ask what the height of the front lip is? Also, is 3 degrees typing angle comfortable, given that most keyboards are in the 5 to 9 degree range?

Offline Zanhana

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 10:01:12 »
if you were to do a later version of this with a number row I would be first in line  :eek: :thumb: ;D

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 12:05:10 »
Never used a 45% before (in fact, even 60%) but the inclusion of arrow keys and the lovely design (and heft) is talking to me. Can I ask what the height of the front lip is? Also, is 3 degrees typing angle comfortable, given that most keyboards are in the 5 to 9 degree range?

I will have to double check, but I believe the height of the front lip is around 22mm.  We wanted it tall, but not too tall to be uncomfortable.  I have found that 3 degrees is a nice middle ground between a flat board and something more aggressive like 5 to 9 degrees.  Not as much strain on your wrists if you don't float them as much as you should. 

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 09:51:03 »
I am adding O-Rings to the base kit so that if you want to make your board a Burger Style Mount you can and soften the typing experience a bit more.

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 10:43:05 »
Uff this thing is a beaut. Will def try to snag one!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:01:14 »
Uff this thing is a beaut. Will def try to snag one!

Thank you so much!  Hopefully some more updates soon as we had over 330 responses to the IC form.  :)

Offline Ashen_21

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 16:25:56 »
Absolutely gorgeous board, will definitely try and get one!

Offline Hedgey

Re: [IC] Oceanographer - Vendor, GB Dates, Colors, and Pricing Announced!
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 15:53:08 »
UPDATE 12/04:
  • Please Fill out the new IC form  https://forms.gle/sp63pBQTY958N9QA9
  • Group Buy Starts on February 1st.  It will close on February 15th or if we reach 300 boards purchased.  Whichever happens first.
  • Group buy will be run through Aeternus Decorum https://store.aeternus.co/
  • Price for the Base kit is $350 (This includes Case, Brass Weight, Brass Plate, FR4 Plate, PCB with Speaker and SMD Indicator LEDs, OLED, Rotary Encoder, Aluminum knob, and Case Hardware)
  • Color Options will be: Black, Blue (As seen in the proto pictures), Dark Green, Purple, and Rose Gold
  • Extra PCBs will be available for purchase along with extra hardware like OLEDs or Rotary Encoders

Offline Helpingly

• Hiya! I'm Helpingly
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 00:05:22 »
I really am digging the ocean theme of this board. I don't do 40's but this might be a cop from me.

Offline JoltFX

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 00:06:45 »
February needs to come sooner...

Offline werc

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 08:23:48 »
Really cool board. I assume your colors are set but, if you are still considering others, I think a dark red would be awesome.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 12:42:23 »
This looks so great. Are you considering a Round 2 if this hits off well?

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 19:09:27 »
Really cool board. I assume your colors are set but, if you are still considering others, I think a dark red would be awesome.

From over 350 initial responses the request for red was pretty low unfortunately.  I think I only saw about 5 instances.  So for now we are set on colors, and this is just to gauge interest on which is the most popular.

I think it's too early for consideration of a Round 2 at this time.  This project has been in the works for 8 months now and while I haven't devoted a ton of time to it, I definitely want to take a break once we do the GB and get them shipped out to everyone. 

However that doesn't mean it isn't out of the question and that I am saying No by any means. 

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #44 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 16:34:03 »

I think it's too early for consideration of a Round 2 at this time.  This project has been in the works for 8 months now and while I haven't devoted a ton of time to it, I definitely want to take a break once we do the GB and get them shipped out to everyone. 

However that doesn't mean it isn't out of the question and that I am saying No by any means.

Understandable, thank you for the response. I hope the GB goes well :)

Offline Ram

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 00:24:37 »
40s arent for me but damn this is clean

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 09:24:19 »

Understandable, thank you for the response. I hope the GB goes well :)

Thank you!

40s arent for me but damn this is clean

Hey man, much appreciated!

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 13:06:33 »
I am working with a vendor on custom resin knobs for the GB.  Please fill out the form if you are interested!

https://forms.gle/JjUzHYmsbs4U62cXA

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 16:40:46 »
Really looks great, I don't know how I feel about the price for such a small form factor, but I understand if it's low quantities I suppose. Would you be willing to make a top with symmetrical blockers, so one on left side?
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Hedgey

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 00:33:04 »
Really looks great, I don't know how I feel about the price for such a small form factor, but I understand if it's low quantities I suppose. Would you be willing to make a top with symmetrical blockers, so one on left side?

Hey there!

Thanks for the feedback.  We feel the pricing is pretty in line with other 45% boards with the large weight and features offered.  Cajal was $400 for the base kit as far as I recall when it ran.

Right now I'm not looking at adding another top with symmetrical blockers but I can keep that in mind if we ever get to a round 2.

Thanks!