Author Topic: Best modern clicky/tactile switches?  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Kneeboard

Best modern clicky/tactile switches?
« on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 23:11:27 »
So I'm rather new to keyboard collecting and from what I've tried am more of a fan of click/tactile switches. The thing is most of the time when I look at lists of the best tactile and clicky switches I mostly get recommendation's for things like ALPS switches. And while I like older keyboards more than modern ones it did get me thinking. I posted something similar to this on deskthority and someone said that I should go to here and ask it as well. Any answers would be greatly appreciated  :D

Offline kajahtaa

Re: Best modern clicky/tactile switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 23:12:34 »
Blue Inks and Phoenix stems are fun

Offline Kneeboard

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 November 2020, 23:22:50 »
Blue Inks and Phoenix stems are fun

I've been interested in the Gateron ink series for a while but never got the chance to use them. I might try and get some in the future. Ive never heard of the Phoenix stem switches before but i've heard that Outemu's enthusiast line of switches are very good. 

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 17:35:50 »
hbheroinbob is awesome

I need to order some U4 housings.

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 20:16:51 »
Didn’t like our answers on DT eh? JK ;)

Offline Kneeboard

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 17:28:38 »
Funniest thing is someone messaged me saying that I should ask here as well XD

Offline Error213

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:08:41 »
So I'm rather new to keyboard collecting and from what I've tried am more of a fan of click/tactile switches. The thing is most of the time when I look at lists of the best tactile and clicky switches I mostly get recommendation's for things like ALPS switches. And while I like older keyboards more than modern ones it did get me thinking. I posted something similar to this on deskthority and someone said that I should go to here and ask it as well. Any answers would be greatly appreciated  :D
I hear the box jades are good

Offline Grandfunk

• zzz
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 11:53:10 »
I haven't used a full set in a keyboard yet but I have kailh box switches in a tester and I really like the whites and jades.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 03 December 2020, 21:11:44 »
Box switches seem to be one of the best options for clickies, with Jades being very popular.
Navies are also nice if you like stiffer springs. Both are super tactile and have a good click.

Tactile, my current favorite is 62g Zeal but I haven't tried anything more exotic and they aren't exactly cheap. They're easily one of the best tactiles I've used that were fantastic right out of the box.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline yui

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 01:49:20 »
to be honest my favorite MX compatible clickies are not the kailh boxes but their speed bronze/pink, also click bar but seems more balanced than jades or navies, although so far my all time favorite click is my M (and in comparison Ms are cheap).
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 09:44:48 »
Phoenix for click
Mx brown for tactile
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 05 December 2020, 23:08:28 »

It seems like most/all clicky switches are designed by someone with a mantra of "louder is better!"  Even the reviews seem to view click volume as uniformly louder==better.  I enjoy the tactile impulse of a clicky switch as part of the typing feel, but I'd like the sound profile to be a lot more SUBTLE, not audible from down the hallway.  Clicky switches are more satisfying to me than "tactile" switches, but I don't want to sound like a new year's fireworks display while typing.

Offline killyou

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 16:33:16 »
Kailh BOX Pink, White, Jade, Navy. They differ in spring weight and thickness of the click bar (their implementation of the click mechanism). My favourites are Pink because they have medium weight click bar. I also changed the spring in them to the ones from Kailh BOX Jades and I ended up with medium weight switches with nice tactility and click. Sound is deeper (lower freq click) than stock Kailh BOX Whites and they are more tactile as well. They are perfect for writing and gaming.