Author Topic: Trying to decide if I would like rubber keys  (Read 2009 times)

Offline dman777

Trying to decide if I would like rubber keys
« on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 10:05:06 »
I was thinking about buying https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=7326  because they look cool.

Maybe so I can save $30.00 I thought I would ask... how does a keyboard feel with partial rubber keys? Is there a purpose in it like gaming? My use is strictly coding and web surfing.

Offline Alga

Re: Trying to decide if I would like rubber keys
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 10:09:58 »
I'll stick around here cause I'm interested too and have no idea about it.

As you said, the most I heard about them is people that buy WASD and 1 to 5 for gaming purposes. They get the feedback of having the fingers in the right keys.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 10:26:48 »
I guess they're for gamers who take it so seriously their hands sweat and slide off normal keys, typists in a humid country would want a full set...

$30 isn't much in this hobby and I agree that they look good but how long the texture will last I have no idea, Ducky doubleshot caps are good quality so I would hope these are too.

As to how they feel and whether you would like them we don't own your fingers so cannot say.  Some people like shined ABS, others prefer new rough PBT and these in rubber will feel completely different to both of those.  Could always put them on your Christmas list, better than a festive jumper :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline nopunchespulled

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 December 2020, 17:26:45 »
I would think the rubber would wear off over time and be challenging to keep clean

Offline Learis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 18:18:18 »
I just got a sample rubber key with a regular set I ordered. I couldn't imagine using it long term. The texture is rough due to it being extremely bumpy. It's purposely made this way I guess to provide maximum grip and it certainly does so. But I just don't know why you would need that and I feel like it would get annoying typing on it over the long term. Maybe if you just want to use it for the arrow keys for the novelty of it.
Mend and Defend