Author Topic: New guy, looking for the perfect keyboard!  (Read 1820 times)

Offline JoeyWerkz

New guy, looking for the perfect keyboard!
« on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 11:45:14 »
Hi there,

I am new to the site and from California!
I have been looking all over for the perfect keyboard and it is how I stumbled onto this nice little community.

I am keeping my eye out for the right keyboard from lurking on here to trying to commission from someone a custom keyboard but am so far out of luck! My price range maxes out at $1200.

I thought I might make a post to introduce myself and try to roughly state what I am looking for to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. I would like to try to fine a TKL keyboard with a full cnc'd aluminum frame, brass plate, and a large brass bottom weight (I love the chonkers).

Because I am new and have never soldered anything in my life I would really love a hot-swappable PCB. USB-C connection port and preferably no RGB.

I appreciate any recommendations you guys would have! <3

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
Re: New guy, looking for the perfect keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 16:36:21 »
Welcome :)

I think any programmable HHKB is perfect.

But going off your criteria, I think RAMA might have something you're looking for?
I just know he has hotswap stuff and works with metal a lot. I'm not really into metal keyboards so that's the best I can recommend without doing all the searching for you :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline sleepy

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 December 2020, 18:04:38 »
agree with switch, the hhkb is definitely a great layout, and doesn't (at least in my experience) take too long to get used to. and once you get used to it, it's really nice not having to move your fingers far from the home row to hit functions keys, arrows, page up/down, etc. I definitely recommend that layout too!

welcome to the forum!

Offline yui

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 09:57:43 »
Welcome, TKL is not that popular around those parts, sadly, nothing above 65% is, everyone will tell you that hhkb or 40% is the best and everyone using something bigger is just wasteful, just be on the lookout for group buys with great looking boards, quite often those have limited quantities, i do not think any are running right now but i may be wrong, happens quite often :).
Rama does not have any in stock at the moment but their U80-A may be right up your alley too.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline retoid

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 16 December 2020, 10:37:13 »
This site is pretty handy for keeping watch on Group Buys. https://mechgroupbuys.com/keyboards
I know there are some people out there willing to build the keyboard for you as well, if you end up finding a kit you like, that's always an option.

Offline JoeyWerkz

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 11:18:56 »
Thank you for the welcome and the info guys! The website you provided that shows upcoming group buys and interests helped me find something that looks really promising for me!

The https://mechgroupbuys.com/keyboards/Constellation looks just up my alley! Crossing my fingers I can get one (it releases around my birthday too)!