Author Topic: Please recommend me a new keyboard with stiff switches.  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Viper2

Please recommend me a new keyboard with stiff switches.
« on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 23:50:16 »
Back in 2011, I bought a Thermaltake Meka G1 (Cherry Black) and used it for a few months. It was a good keyboard but I wanted something different, so I bought a Deck Legend - Frost (Cherry Clear). I have been using the Deck keyboard for over 9 years now, and even though it has been a great keyboard, I think it's time for a change.

I like keyboards with stiff switches because I have big heavy very strong hands. I'm thinking about going back to Cherry Black switches but I would really prefer to have LED lighted keys. IMO, LED lighted keys are just so much nicer. I do think the Cherry Black switches maybe felt a bit better than the Cherry Clear switches overall. The Cherry Black switches had a nice smoothness to them. I am also considering the Realforce Topre 55g (even though it's not LED lighted) but I feel like the Topre 55g switches may not be stiff enough for me. However, I am open to considering any types of stiff switches as long as the keyboard is extremely high quality as well.

What do you all recommend?

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 January 2021, 23:59:29 by Viper2 »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Please recommend me a new keyboard with stiff switches.
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 02:57:43 »
Topre 55g is not that heavy compared to Cherry MX, it's lighter than most MX switches out of the box, even light sprung switches.

You might want to try something like Gateron silent blacks, that will give a little bottom out damping. As for a board, honestly, your options are pretty terrible at the moment. A price range and layout would help, but again, selection at the moment is horrible.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline diazel

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 09:52:31 »
I agree with Leslieann. If you like the heaviness of the MX blacks, Standard Topre might be a bit light. Though over at Keyclack.com, you can get Topre dome replacements in heavy (approx 65g bottom out) or Extreme (90g bottom out) to get the resistance you like.

That said, my big question is: where do you stand regarding linears vs tactiles?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 12:23:16 »
That said, my big question is: where do you stand regarding linears vs tactiles?

^ Topre and MX clear muddies the waters. I hate stiff linears, so I'll see myself out again, unless you want box navies. lol

Offline Learis

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 January 2021, 14:39:26 »
If you don't mind buying your own switches and snapping them in yourself, then you have the option to buy some barebones hot swappable keyboards.

Here's an affordable one from Glorious (it comes in multiple form factors):
https://www.amazon.com/Glorious-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tenkeyless-Gaming/dp/B01MSVHZTT/ref=sr_1_13?dchild=1&keywords=hot+swap&qid=1609878839&sr=8-13

If you want to go for more expensive premium ones then you can look at Drop who also offers multiple form factors. However I think drop uses south facing switch setups, which makes it harder for backlighting to shine through since most keycaps have their transparent lettering/legends more on their north side.
Mend and Defend

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 03:01:22 »
If you want to try new things  maybe try a model M, they are stiff and very clicky, although no RGB.
And if you want a GMMK i would buy direct from their site if in the US, and definitely not from Amazon (not that they are as close as slavers as modern laws will allow but they also tried in the past to go further)
and yeah for great clickies in MX form factor there are the box jade and navy as Maledicted pointed out
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 06 January 2021, 03:43:35 »
I have been using some Hako True switches on two builds and I like them a lot. They have a bit of a tactile bump and have ~80g at bottom out. I find I don't bottom out as hard on these as I do on other switches (I have tried some blacks on an old Wyse terminal and I had to turn on the beeper to feel comfortable typing on them)
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 15:01:54 »
Cherry G81 are pretty stiff.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline andred

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 17:25:29 »
I put Box Navy switches on a GMMK (TKL) for someone who needed maximum sensory feedback, and I actually really like it. The keyboard and switches feel absolutely solid; almost like using a typewriter, and there is practically no key wobble.

If you want linear, you might like Box Dark Yellow switches.

Or you might like the Aliaz 100g switches. Based on my impressions in my switch tester, it's a very smooth switch with a very subtle tactile bump. Frankly I thought it was a linear at first.
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 January 2021, 17:29:40 by andred »

Offline Viper2

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 January 2021, 17:54:34 »
How about Cherry MX Tactile Grey switches? I found a KBTalking keyboard that has them. Would those be a good option for stiff switches, and it KBTalking a good quality brand of keyboard?

Thanks.