Author Topic: Low profile, wireless, full size, where art thouh?  (Read 1354 times)

Offline aabbcc

Low profile, wireless, full size, where art thouh?
« on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 13:37:49 »
So I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard to replace my logitech mx keys, basically I'm looking for a mechanical version of the mx keys i.e.

• Wireless, preferbly with its own 2.4ghz usb connector
  • Multi connect, i.e. easily switch between 2 paired devices
  • Quite keyes, I think something like mx reds would do
  • Good battery life
  • Low profile
  • Full size
  • Non gamer look, i.e. the logitech g915 looks a bit much...

I need nothing more than above, so backlightning, hot swapable switches etc are just fluff which I reallt don't need.

The only thing that seems to tick all of these boxes is the Keychron K1 v4 with red switches. However is there anything else that ticks all above boxes? I'd be more than happy to DIY something but I can't seem to find any low profile diy kits/cases?

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
Re: Low profile, wireless, full size, where art thouh?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 13:42:13 »
Iquinx, Epomaker, and Keychron all make a wireless 96% that don't have the most gamer look, one of them might fit your bill. Low pro is a tough one though...

Offline aabbcc

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 14:07:09 »
The epomaker keyboards look really nice but they are all sooooo thicc...

I've also looked at the Hexagears x-1 and Hexageares Venture but they seem to have pretty poor wuality and battery life :(

Offline niner

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 14:50:10 »
Logitech G915 is a good option

Offline aabbcc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 May 2021, 15:02:29 »
Logitech G915 is a good option

It has all the funcationality but it's a) too expensive considering b) it looks like something a 15 year old kid would think looks cool :/

Offline TW3NTY2

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 22:37:06 »
I had the G915 and I loved it.  Now I had the "clicky" version so not anything like the reds that you mentioned, but still a super solid board.  It was expensive though, and I was not a huge fan of the media keys on the top.  They did not seem to match everything that was going on with the main board.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 June 2021, 23:16:33 »
If you want good wireless Logitech is pretty much the only game in town, especially for keyboards, they are so far beyond everyone else it's almost comical. Even companies like Apple completely fail at it at times. I know every company is pushing wireless everything but honestly, most of it functions far worse than people realize. The Logitech is far from perfect but if wireless is a must it really is your best option especially considering none of the drawbacks you have to it effect performance. You can make more money, you can't get back the time you spent fighting connection problems. As for looks, sometimes compromises must be made.

Would I get it, absolutely not.
While I've exclusively used wireless mice for years I still won't use a wireless keyboard Logitech or otherwise due to costs and limitations. If you want portability get a set of wireless USB cables, leave one at work and one at home, then just pick up the board as you leave, toss it down as you arrive, if the cable gets close it will auto connect, they work almost like a dock. No batteries to charge, no connection issues, no messing with cables. I use these on mice to charge (beware size and shape*) and I use them on all my keyboards because it just makes things easier. Where possible I've converted almost all my USB devices over to them.

*On mice in particular but also some keyboards you can't use many of the rounded style connectors, the round shape can drag on the mouse pad (you need an oval). I started with Netdot 3 because it was pretty much the only oval option but it only supports USB micro b. I converted everything to Netdot 10 because it supports type C, micro and Lightning. Bonus, you can actually reduce your cables because you rarely need everything connected at once and one cable now handles 3 different connections. I went from 5 or 6 cables on my desk down to 2.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 June 2021, 23:18:23 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion