Author Topic: [IC] Clunker - 40% with half numrow, knob, and solenoid  (Read 11287 times)

Offline MechWild

[IC] Clunker - 40% with half numrow, knob, and solenoid
« on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 11:04:44 »
MechWild Discord

MechWild Site

IC Form

Hey, what’s up. It’s MechWild again with another fun, affordable board. We are proud to introduce you all to the Clunker, a 40% board with half a number row, knob, and a solenoid.

And what’s a solenoid you may be asking? We have a video recorded just for you demonstrating a solenoid on the Clunker.

Group Buy Details
  • Price: 50 USD
  • Dates: May 13th to June 6th
  • Vendor: MechWild
  • Product Page: Clunker
  • Fulfillment Period: 10 weeks after GB end
Prototype

Features:
  • Pro micro powered
  • QMK/VIA/VIAL support
  • Mandatory encoder
  • Acrylic guard lets you see under the hood
  • Clunk clunk goes the solenoid
VERY roughly based on the Van and its spinoffs. It is like a van that is making a questionable noise. You know, like a clunker.

Clunker go brrrrrr

The base kit includes:
  • Switch plate, PCB, bottom plate
  • All assembly hardware
  • Encoder and knob
  • Pro Micro and solenoid
  • Rubber bumpons
We will be offering our usual assortment of extra parts on the product listing (MillMax sockets, extra diodes, etc.).

Layouts

Thank you for checking out this post. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. We love you.

IC Form again.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2022, 09:30:36 by MechWild »

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
Re: [IC] Clunker - 40% with half numrow, knob, and solenoid
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 14:42:57 »
So weird I want it! Plus, split space bar gang forevah <3

Offline nickthaskater

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 22 April 2022, 15:15:12 »
God I love this. I want a bigger solenoid for more thump in my clunk and USB-C as standard (time to let micro die it's worthy death).

Offline BrokenFlows

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 02:56:40 »
I love this! I’ve been looking for something with a solenoid I love the half-num-row and the knob. It seems like a really fun board!

With it being Pro Micro powered, would that allow a nice!nano to work as well? I’m nearly all in on ZMK at this point, so that would be a great plus.

Offline questcraft

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 09:25:40 »
Nice colour, I like  :thumb:
Dont combine international kits plz, thx  :thumb:

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 April 2022, 10:57:40 »
I need this so I can drive everyone crazy at work.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline moistbobo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 April 2022, 04:01:37 »
finally, the ultimate board to annoy my coworkers with

Offline sillyworld

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 10:23:04 »
God I love this. I want a bigger solenoid for more thump in my clunk and USB-C as standard (time to let micro die it's worthy death).

FWIW, this will be compatible with the longer USB C pro micro boards.

Offline sillyworld

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 10:25:58 »
I love this! I’ve been looking for something with a solenoid I love the half-num-row and the knob. It seems like a really fun board!

With it being Pro Micro powered, would that allow a nice!nano to work as well? I’m nearly all in on ZMK at this point, so that would be a great plus.

Yes, it will be able to be powered by the nice!nano HOWEVER (and this is a big list of caveats) solenoids use a LOT of juice that the nice!nano won't like, the electromagnetic ****ery of the solenoid itself might interfere with wireless connection, you'd need a beefy battery, and I don't think that ZMK supports solenoids currently.

If you don't want to use the solenoid, sure, the nice!nano would work.

That being said, the real answer is "yes, but also no"

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 12:17:03 »
Is the solenoid striking fr4 or the acrylic guard somehow? And would if be feasible to have it strike a different material? Like an eraser if you need to type on the DL, or a tiny wine glass for toasting purposes?

I wanna make it hit backspace lol

Offline MechWild

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 12:58:19 »
Is the solenoid striking fr4 or the acrylic guard somehow? And would if be feasible to have it strike a different material? Like an eraser if you need to type on the DL, or a tiny wine glass for toasting purposes?

I wanna make it hit backspace lol

It is not hitting anything in the video, that is the raw, uncut solenoid in action. You can always jury rig something with zip ties and/or duct tape, like on a beat up car.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2022, 13:25:00 by MechWild »

Offline psxndc

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 April 2022, 20:19:00 »
I love this (yay ISO Row 4), but can't behind the 1.75u enter, or more specifically, the right hand lacking the semicolon/pinky alpha key.

I love my Romeo keyboard, but can't use it for this singular reason (which you fixed on the Mercutio!)
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 April 2022, 20:23:59 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline BrokenFlows

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 15:19:49 »

Yes, it will be able to be powered by the nice!nano HOWEVER (and this is a big list of caveats) solenoids use a LOT of juice that the nice!nano won't like, the electromagnetic ****ery of the solenoid itself might interfere with wireless connection, you'd need a beefy battery, and I don't think that ZMK supports solenoids currently.

If you don't want to use the solenoid, sure, the nice!nano would work.

That being said, the real answer is "yes, but also no"
I appreciate the detailed response! Thank you very much. I’ll have a think then. I’d love to have the solenoid and ZMK, but I understand the tradeoffs better now. I’m happy to have more information to make the decision between firmwares and controllers with.

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 27 April 2022, 23:17:39 »
I love this (yay ISO Row 4), but can't behind the 1.75u enter, or more specifically, the right hand lacking the semicolon/pinky alpha key.

I love my Romeo keyboard, but can't use it for this singular reason (which you fixed on the Mercutio!)

I usually put it on enter on a layer (that I get to holding space). You could also combo L + enter.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 22:07:39 »
I'd really love more options for the bottom row. I'd personally like to put the 2u and 2.75u keys next to each other and have the 1u off to the right of the 2.75u.

As mentioned before, I'd also really like to have my pinky resting on a semicolon instead of the enter but I suppose that would be difficult to do without changing the stagger or widening the board.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 28 April 2022, 22:50:39 »
As mentioned before, I'd also really like to have my pinky resting on a semicolon instead of the enter but I suppose that would be difficult to do without changing the stagger or widening the board.
I was suggesting they give they option of a split Enter like the mercutio. Wouldn’t need to change the stagger or widening the board.

https://i0.wp.com/mechwild.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/mercutio_kle_sizes.png?resize=980%2C367&ssl=1
« Last Edit: Thu, 28 April 2022, 23:02:49 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 01:32:36 »
I was suggesting they give they option of a split Enter like the mercutio. Wouldn’t need to change the stagger or widening the board.

https://i0.wp.com/mechwild.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/mercutio_kle_sizes.png?resize=980%2C367&ssl=1

The Mercutio uses a 2.25 enter but this one is a 1.75u. It would need to be extended .25u so that it could be split into two 1u keys. Alternatively the stagger for that row would have to be moved to the left by the same amount.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 03:13:58 »

The Mercutio uses a 2.25 enter but this one is a 1.75u. It would need to be extended .25u so that it could be split into two 1u keys. Alternatively the stagger for that row would have to be moved to the left by the same amount.
Moving all 3 alpha rows to the left by .25 and splitting the enter key does seem like a great idea.  TBH, other than space bars and the delete key, I feel all keys should be 1u.  Anything else is a waste of space. 

One build where the delete key was a 1u, I used a taller profile cap for ease of access. 

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 03:40:01 »
Moving all 3 alpha rows to the left by .25 and splitting the enter key does seem like a great idea.  TBH, other than space bars and the delete key, I feel all keys should be 1u.  Anything else is a waste of space. 

I'd personally rather see the board extended than have the stagger changed. There are lots of people who'd be really put off by any non-standard stagger. Still, I'm keeping an open mind. If no changes can be made at this point I'd be willing to give the layout a try even though it's not my preference.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 29 April 2022, 11:38:07 »

I totally didn’t realize that. My bad. Thanks for the explanation!
Ortho. Always.

Offline MechWild

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 17:49:25 »
Hey you guys, we've added some more layout options and decided some GB details. Updated details will be added to the original post.

Thank you for all the support!

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 06 May 2022, 22:11:58 »
I'm a big fan  ;D Gonna learn soldering just to build this!
Yes

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 14:52:51 »
Hey you guys, we've added some more layout options and decided some GB details. Updated details will be added to the original post.

Thank you for all the support!

Welp. I'm getting like three of these now. Split enter is perfection and the 1-6 keys will let me game in a way that I couldn't with the Mercutio. Solenoid will give me new and creative ways of annoying the hell out of everyone around me. Love the changes!

Offline psxndc

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 16:15:53 »
Split enter is perfection and the 1-6 keys will let me game in a way that I couldn't with the Mercutio.
But it's not a spilt enter, it's a split right shift. Or am I missing something?
Ortho. Always.

Offline Arcoril

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 22:43:16 »
Split enter is perfection and the 1-6 keys will let me game in a way that I couldn't with the Mercutio.
But it's not a spilt enter, it's a split right shift. Or am I missing something?

No, you’re totally right. I was off by a row. Still love the board especially with the bottom row options. I’ll just have to get used to resting my pinky on enter.

Offline FiEND

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 12:24:38 »
didnt know i needed this until i saw it. count me in.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 15:29:53 »
Love the naming so much I might grab one & I'm not a 40s guy LOL!

Offline linell

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 18:18:30 »
I'm gonna clunk so hard
can't wait :)
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline steak7

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 20:44:35 »
This is a really interesting idea mate. So weird that I just might go for it.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 11:24:19 »
What a weird keyboard.
I'm down to buy one.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 14:56:08 »
Let's go!!!!