Author Topic: [IC] Peek - An FRLWKLTKL | GB LIVE! 7/15 - 8/15)  (Read 19844 times)

Offline Kotahh

[IC] Peek - An FRLWKLTKL | GB LIVE! 7/15 - 8/15)
« on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:04:06 »
    This is the interest check for my first project, the Peek TKL

This is a small project that has been in the works for the past 5 months. The peek is an F-Rowless Winkeyless TKL developed by brie (me/Kotahh) that features a top mount design, a simplistic profile, and a brass accent piece. The brass accent is inspired by anime related vinyl stickers commonly found on cars. With simplicity in mind, the board was designed for usability and a clean look that fits into any desk setup.

If you would like to support me and/or keep up with the project, you may join my Discord here:
    Discord Link

Please fill out my IC form, it will be helpful!
    IC Form

Changelog/Revisions since prototype

Additional prototype photos:

More

Renders courtesy of musicman123#9403:

More

Technical Specifications:
    • Case materials: 6063 aluminum, anodized in black and red (Pantone 484-C)
    • Weight/Accent piece: sandblasted brass
    • Plate material: 5052 black anodized aluminum
    • Optional plates: black polycarbonate, aluminum, and FR4
    • PCB: 1.6mm hotswap PCB designed by FJ Laboratories
    • Built board weight: ~1583g (~3.49lb)
    • Typing angle: 6 degrees
    • Mounting style: Top Mount
    • Dimensions: 355.6 x 114 x 15.25 mm

PCB Specifications:
    • 1.6 mm thickness
    • AT90USB646-MU microchip
    • Utilizes Kailh v1 hotswap sockets
    • QMK, VIA, and Remap compatibility
    Additional information can be found here

Currently only have hotswap as the main PCB at this current time, if you would like to see a solder PCB, please let me know in the IC form!

Group Buy Info:
    • GB: 80 units maximum + F&F
    • Pricing: $350 USD
    • GB Date: July 15, 2022
    • GB Lead Time: 6-8 months after GB ends
    • Vendor: Will be setting up my own shopify store (Shipping based in Canada)

With ongoing global issues and the volatility of material prices, pricing will be finalized before the GB to ensure the most accurate pricing can be locked.

Why the low unit count?
    The group buy will be capped at 80 units to keep production, QC, packaging, and fulfillment lead times reasonable and manageable.

Kit Contents:
    • Top case
    • Bottom case
    • Aluminum plate
    • Unified Daughterboard + JST cable
    • Hotswap PCB
    • SKUF feet
    • Hard carrying case
    • Microfiber cloth
    • M2 x 6 mm Socket cap screws
    • M2.5 x 5 mm Flat head screws
    • M2 x 5 mm Socket cap screws
    • M2 x 3 mm Socket cap screws
    • Allen key

Exploded Layout:

Adjusted Front Height: (19.232 mm)

PCB Layout:

Plate Layout:

Old plate layouts:
    More

Currently the PCB & Plate only support Tsangan bottom row and no ISO.
    Plate files will be open sourced after the GB.

Soundtests:

Sound tests

Courtesy of Windz#7101

Timeline/To Do List:
    • Gather feedback
    • Apply feedback/adjustments to existing design
    • Finalize pricing
    • Start GB

Special Thanks:
    • My friend Yaser
    • The Basement
    • Musicman from FJ Labs for the PCB design & renders
    • Maker from Maker Keyboards
    « Last Edit: Sat, 16 July 2022, 11:04:47 by Kotahh »

Offline Kotahh

[IC] Peek TKL - An FRLWKLTKL | Last updated 5/10/22
    « Reply #1 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:04:33 »
    Prototype comments:
    • Accent piece engraving is slightly misaligned to the bottom
    • Biggest ding is on the inner top piece (Not noticeable when built)
    • A few hook marks on the interior of the case but are minor
    • Ano is a little rougher at some places
    • In one corner on the bottom of the top piece, there is a small black mark I couldn’t get off (Hard to capture on camera)
    • Top engraving is not very noticeable

See photos below:

More

5/10/2022 UPDATE:
    • A hard carrying case will be included in the kit.
    • Plate mounting points have been revised
    • As per the IC form, due to the most popularity, PC will be offered as the optional plate.
    • The engraving on the brass accent was updated and will have a deeper engraving to be more noticeable. As to keep consistent with the original design, the brass accent will not be left blank.
    • The top engraving was enlarged slightly and will be a fully CNC’ed rather than just the outline. As per the request from many, there will be two versions, one with the top engraving and one without.
    • The height of the keyboard has been increased to account for the gap regarding PBT keycaps
    • Considering a black ano plate instead of red/silver to account for the most versatility.

6/8/2022 - UPDATE 2:

• Pricing is currently looking like $350USD
    • Utilizing a different grit for the case, it feels much smoother and I am liking it a lot more than the previous prototype
    • The slight increase of the height has resolved the gap with PBT keycaps
    • Happier with how the new engraving looks
    • I have noticed the new prototype top has a brighter red ano compared to the previous revision. Considering shipping it back to the manu to have it re-ano'd
    • Currently reaching out to a few content creators for a review stream
    • Speaking with the PCB designer/manu, it is priced based on unique PCBs so it would not be cheap to manu a small numbers of solder PCBs at this current moment. There are a few other reasons but this is the biggest reason. As the original intent was to run it with a hotswap PCB, it will continue to be run as so.

6/22/2022 - UPDATE 3:

The start of the GB: Friday July 15, 2022 - Monday August 15, 2022
    GB will last 4 weeks or until all of the units are sold

• The plate was updated to include additional layouts
    • Plate/case foam will be included as an optional add-on
    • FR4 will now also be included as an optional add-on plate so optional plates would be: alu, FR4, and PC
    • A review stream has been delayed until further notice
    « Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2022, 23:58:53 by Kotahh »

Offline chat and team

Re: [IC] Peek TKL - An FRLWKLTKL
    « Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:09:44 »
    meh, would have been intrested if there wasn't anime,Canada, or waiting to see how much you can stretch the price.
    geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
    Chinese overlords won

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:14:15 »
    Looks solid and nice proto. I would like to ask though, why only let us pick one optional plate material in the IC form? Also, forcing hot-swap is a BIG mistake imo considering this isn't an entry-level board. Pease let us pick solder from the start and please allow us to remove the engraving at the top. Otherwise, looks fantastic.

love me some FRL TKLs.

edit: would also like to see a hard carrying case, unless i just missed it in IC, in which case my bad
    « Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:16:17 by BasedCoper »

Offline Kotahh

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:21:31 »
    meh, would have been intrested if there wasn't anime,Canada, or waiting to see how much you can stretch the price.

Appreciate your comment!

Looks solid and nice proto. I would like to ask though, why only let us pick one optional plate material in the IC form? Also, forcing hot-swap is a BIG mistake imo considering this isn't an entry-level board. Pease let us pick solder from the start and please allow us to remove the engraving at the top. Otherwise, looks fantastic.

love me some FRL TKLs.

edit: would also like to see a hard carrying case, unless i just missed it in IC, in which case my bad

PCB is currently hotswap at the moment, I included an option to show support for a solder pcb in the IC form if people want it and it will be considered.
    Also with the low quantity of the GB, as solder and hotswap are treated as different variances, it would drastically change the pricing of each PCB.

The reason you can only pick one plate is so I can keep the project more manageable and keep the costs lowered since there will likely be only one extra plate. Allowing people to pick one will give me a better idea of whats most desirable.
    Regarding the hard carrying case, I am currently considering a hard carrying case vs normal box + custom foam inserts.

Thanks for your comments.
    « Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:28:15 by Kotahh »

Offline huey

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:25:41 »
    I think a deweebified version would go a long way for those who like the board but can't get a long with the degen nature.

Also I think the relationship between top and bottom bezel is little weird. The design could be better if the bottom was wider or the top was smaller.

GLWIC

Offline Mdark205

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:32:27 »
    Big fan of the design, and the look of the weight. Count me in for one  :thumb:

Offline shima

• keeb weeb
    « Reply #7 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 21:34:15 »
    peak design with peek
    glwic & i hope to join gb
    boards: anura

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 22:00:03 »

Appreciate your comment!

love me some FRL TKLs.

PCB is currently hotswap at the moment, I included an option to show support for a solder pcb in the IC form if people want it and it will be considered.
    Also with the low quantity of the GB, as solder and hotswap are treated as different variances, it would drastically change the pricing of each PCB.

The reason you can only pick one plate is so I can keep the project more manageable and keep the costs lowered since there will likely be only one extra plate. Allowing people to pick one will give me a better idea of whats most desirable.
    Regarding the hard carrying case, I am currently considering a hard carrying case vs normal box + custom foam inserts.

Thanks for your comments.

I  appreciate your reply. I strongly hope you do choose the hard carrying case as it is less wasteful and very useful to take to work, etc. Thanks.

Offline ee

• hi
    « Reply #9 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 22:38:48 »
    that will be $3000 dollars

Offline murpy

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 22:43:37 »
    Please consider an extra plate option like PC for the gb. Not having a solder PCB would be a make or break for me unfortunately. Otherwise glwic

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Sicowa

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 23:03:27 »
    This looks cool, I think that if people really wanted a non weeb version then they should have bought the crin imo.
    I think if your going to only offer one pcb option it should be solder honestly too.
    glwic.
    Collection: Khajit 60, Leopold FC980C, Pepper, Ex. Visa, Daedalus

pfp:https://twitter.com/kuroseP/status/1305179874429079553?s=19

Offline spedywin

• Formerly spedywin
    « Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 April 2022, 23:11:03 »
    dont look bad, hopefully price good, thank you and gl

Offline gotgoodiez

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 19:36:25 »
    I think I black or matching red plate would go better with this board than silver and I personally like soldered pcbs more and would like to see that make the cut. Also I think the weight on the back matches the board naming even if it isn't my personal taste but I don't think the horns on the front add anything so a version without would be nice. Lastly a cool idea if possible is to have the weight stay blank and you can add some peek stickers or something in place to let people personalize the peeking person. GLWIC though!

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 01 May 2022, 21:31:14 »
    I think I black or matching red plate would go better with this board than silver and I personally like soldered pcbs more and would like to see that make the cut. Also I think the weight on the back matches the board naming even if it isn't my personal taste but I don't think the horns on the front add anything so a version without would be nice. Lastly a cool idea if possible is to have the weight stay blank and you can add some peek stickers or something in place to let people personalize the peeking person. GLWIC though!

Def second basically everything said here.

Offline yangsiyin

• Hello World~ Keebs
    « Reply #15 on: Mon, 02 May 2022, 20:40:16 »
    I'm digging it

Offline lnguyen_

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 08:22:59 »
    YES YES YES

Offline moistbobo

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 May 2022, 09:41:14 »
    very niche, but also very interested. I hope the engravings stay on... otherwise it loses some of its power

Offline derpter

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 May 2022, 16:53:44 »

Second everything said here

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
    « Reply #19 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 11:56:55 »
    board is perfect for me as is. please don't change a thing.
    count me as a customer if so

Offline BasedCoper

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 05 May 2022, 16:11:05 »

Second everything said here

u mean third everything?

Offline beelzking

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 12:44:18 »
    Very cool, me likey

Offline zekth

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 16:29:33 »
    No weeb weight + soldered PCB and i'm in  :thumb:

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 17:18:08 »
    good luck
    « Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2022, 09:04:03 by DaaDaa »
    piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline Kotahh

[IC] Peek TKL - An FRLWKLTKL | Last updated 5/10/22
    « Reply #24 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 20:36:08 »
    Just wanted to take a second and thank everyone who filled out the IC form.

Update 1:
    • A hard carrying case will be included in the kit.
    • Plate mounting points have been revised
    • As per the IC form, due to the most popularity, PC will be offered as the optional plate.
    • The engraving on the brass accent was updated and will have a deeper engraving to be more noticeable. As to keep consistent with the original design, the brass accent will not be left blank.
    • The top engraving was enlarged slightly and will be a fully CNC’ed rather than just the outline. As per the request from many, there will be two versions, one with the top engraving and one without.
    • The height of the keyboard has been increased to account for the gap regarding PBT keycaps
    • Considering a black ano plate instead of red/silver to account for the most versatility.
    • There are also smaller QOL/cosmetic/miscellaneous changes that can be found HERE
    « Last Edit: Wed, 11 May 2022, 13:24:36 by Kotahh »

Offline Kotahh

Re: [IC] Peek TKL - An FRLWKLTKL | Last updated 5/10/22
    « Reply #25 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 17:16:06 »
    6/8/2022 - Update 2:

•    Pricing is currently looking like $350USD
    •    Utilizing a different grit for the case, it feels much smoother and I am liking it a lot more than the previous prototype
    •    The slight increase of the height has resolved the gap with PBT keycaps
    •    Happier with how the new engraving looks
    •    I have noticed the new prototype top has a brighter red ano compared to the previous revision. Considering shipping it back to the manu to have it re-ano'd
    •    Currently reaching out to a few content creators for a review stream
    •    Speaking with the PCB designer/manu, it is priced based on unique PCBs so it would not be cheap to manu a small numbers of solder PCBs at this current moment. There are a few other reasons but this is the biggest reason. As the original intent was to run it with a hotswap PCB, it will continue to be run as so.

See for any applicable photos:
    More

Offline Flybeck

Re: [IC] Peek TKL - An FRLWKLTKL | Last updated 6/8/2022 with Pricing
    « Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 21:26:15 »
    Great improvements.

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
    « Reply #27 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:23:24 »
    Way to degen, design wise its fine may consider, GLWIC :thumb:

Offline Ansenki

• Keybort
    « Reply #28 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 11:30:12 »
    I like FRLWKLTKL !

Offline bitbot

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 15:04:31 »
    looks alright :thumb:

Offline GuavaJoe

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 01:56:44 »
    Count me in

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
      • treeleaf64
    « Reply #31 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 00:32:44 »
    Crin with weight

Am I a Cuck and  a Ruck
    treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Kotahh

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 21 June 2022, 23:51:55 »
    6/22/2022 Small update 3:

The start of the GB: Friday July 15, 2022 - Monday August 15, 2022
    GB will last 4 weeks or until all of the units are sold

•    The plate was updated to include additional layouts
    •    Plate/case foam will be included as an optional add-on
    •    FR4 will now also be included as an optional add-on plate so optional plates would be: alu, FR4, and PC
    •    A review stream has been delayed until further notice
    « Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2022, 23:57:18 by Kotahh »

Offline Kotahh

Re: [IC] Peek - An FRLWKLTKL | GB LIVE! 7/15 - 8/15)
    « Reply #33 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 12:00:09 »
    GB is live as of 7/15! GB post has been awaiting approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk