Author Topic: New TV: LCD vs. Plasma vs. ??  (Read 24454 times)

Offline Half-Saint

New TV: LCD vs. Plasma vs. ??
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 14 December 2010, 01:03:22 »
I bought me a Sony 40EX500 this weekend and it's spectacular. The only  downside is that it can't play .mkv files which is a real shame. I hope they fix this with a firmware update some day.
IBM Model M (6) - Acer Alcatel 6312-KW - IBM Model M Space Saver - IBM Model M 122-key - Cherry G80-3000 (2) - IBM Model F AT - TG3 BL82A (2)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 18 December 2010, 23:01:51 »
My friend has a tendency to fall asleep in front of the plasma tv - apparently he recently discovered that it now has "Adult Swim" burned into the corner of the screen... LOL!
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 20 December 2010, 15:23:31 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;262686
I bought me a Sony 40EX500 this weekend and it's spectacular. The only  downside is that it can't play .mkv files which is a real shame. I hope they fix this with a firmware update some day.

Probably the easiest thing to do there would be to hook the television up to a computer and play the files that way.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 15:57:33 »
Quote from: Half-Saint;262686

i was looking at the 60" ... bottom line, I cant stand LCD motion, and the bigger it is, the worse it looks.
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 15:59:52 »
Quote from: woody;261893
I passed by a big Panasonic plasma in a shop today. By some chance, there was no input so the letters "HDMI1" were displayed as OSD in the upper left, with a small greyish rectangle behind. There was a lot of noise in this image - is this some anti-IR measure or "normal" for the set?

It could have been a low end set, or it could have been dithering, were you 3 inches from the screen?
Realforce 86UB - Razer Blackwidow - Dell AT101W - IBM model MCST  LtracX - Kensington Orbit - Logitech Trackman wheel opticalAMD PhenomII x6 - 16GB RAM - SSD - RAIDDell U2211H - Spyder3 - Eye One Display 2

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 16:08:33 »
BTW all, I got my set, ran break-in slides for 100hrs. mixed "calibration" using THX mode, setting from the panny thread at avs, and the AVS calibration disk. Long story short: LOVE.

Using a rogers HD-pVR and PS3 for content for now. Blurays look out of this world (true film cadence 24p @ 96hz is noticeably ****ing AWESOME). Upressed SD content looks better than on most sets I have seen.

the area, with SOME light.

A shot from Baraka (the best looking content I have EVER seen, period). This was handheld in low light so it's not as good as it could have been...

the WHOLE basement, I have a lot of space left to use for something ...

Offline db_Iodine

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 16:38:57 »
That setup is screaming for better speakers.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #107 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:20:57 »
Quote from: db_Iodine;268426
That setup is screaming for better speakers.

next thing on the list. the z-5500 are actually quite adequate for film though. They best pretty well any HTIB going, save for those that are actually discrete components packaged as an "HTIB". They do fall quite short for music.

woody

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 24 December 2010, 17:47:23 »
Quote from: instantkamera;268413
It could have been a low end set, or it could have been dithering, were you 3 inches from the screen?

Don't think it was low-end, and definitely not dither. And yes, I was basically shoving my nose in the screen.
Haven't had a chance to check again somewhere else. Will try to remember and post if I do.

Offline phillip

« Reply #109 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 09:43:33 »
You definitely need some real speakers.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 12:19:22 »
Quote from: phillip;268662
You definitely need some real speakers.

I think we established that already.

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #111 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 13:22:19 »
Not only speakers, room acoustics typically need some work, too. They should definitely be checked. Problems in the higher-frequency areas usually are tackled relatively easily, bass is another story.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 13:57:12 »
Quote from: ripster;268748
Bass is easy.  Keep installing subwoofers until your ears bleed.

check!

FYI, before anyone goes crazy of the disparity between room - screen - sound, let me just clarify. The sound is a hold over from a 650sq ft apt in Montreal (where I had a 32" 4:3 480i crt). I realize I need better, but that basement you see is attached to a house, which I recently acquired. As a new home owner, Im lucky to have been able to purchase things to go IN the home (and no, I didnt put it all on credit). The sound (and likely acoustic treatments) will come in time.

thanks all for looking/commenting.

Offline instantkamera

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 13:58:37 »
Quote from: ripster;268668
Mirage for surrounds are awesome.  Not the teeny tiny ones though.  Get the biggest your SO will allow.
Show Image

oh and rip, I dont have a problem with the SO ;) I get two rooms in the house. This one, and my office :P

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 25 December 2010, 14:23:41 »
Quote from: instantkamera;268756
oh and rip, I dont have a problem with the SO ;) I get two rooms in the house. This one, and my office :P
I've got my home office...aside from that, I "get" the garage and work shop.  (both of which I neglect all too often)

(I do enjoy writing off my home office space for tax purposes every year)

Offline Voixdelion

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 29 December 2010, 10:58:18 »
Quote from: keyb_gr;268746
Not only speakers, room acoustics typically need some work, too. They should definitely be checked. Problems in the higher-frequency areas usually are tackled relatively easily, bass is another story.

What does one do to deal with bass that is significantly a little too much  (and sometimes much more than a little too much) while the rest of the range is at a quiet or normal volume?  

I have this problem on my Sony surround that I bought with the TV ages ago where I often find myself turning off the subwoofer completely because dialogue will be fine but explosions or low frequency sounds (like a large truck driving by in traffic) are then like an earthquake or thundering in the room.  But if you make the low end not so earth-shattering it becomes impossible to hear what people are saying.  This makes it impossible to watch a movie late at night without headphones if someone wants to sleep in the next room (and truthfully,  if its late enough, I'm even a little concerned about the neighbors).  

Is this something on my end or is it in the mix of whatever I'm watching?  It seems like there are separate audio tracks where the "background" is just levelled much higher on certain things.  This happens often enough that I am wondering if its the hardware or what?  Is it a product of the surround sound?
"The more you tolerate each other, the less enforcement will happen."-iMav

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 30 December 2010, 17:30:21 »
Quote from: Voixdelion;270303
What does one do to deal with bass that is significantly a little too much  (and sometimes much more than a little too much) while the rest of the range is at a quiet or normal volume?

Welcome to the wonderful world of room modes.  

First of all, you did adjust subwoofer volume when setting things up, right? Needs a bunch of sine test tones, from about 150 Hz down to 20 Hz or so (most easily generated on the computer with Audacity or whatever; the CD that I have starts at 10 Hz intervals, then goes to 5 Hz under 100 Hz, and 3 Hz under 40 Hz). A logarithmic sweep of that range tends to be quite useful, too. They say a pro will adjust for 10 dB too much and a layman for 20 dB, so make sure to do a check with music in both plain 2.0 and 2.1 or whatever.

The test tones will probably reveal a rollercoaster ride in terms of frequency response, but that's pretty much normal for an untreated room. An old trick then is to place the subwoofer in the listening spot (including height) and walk around in the room, looking for a spot that minimizes resonances (sweep is useful here). Then place the subwoofer right there. Reciprocity FTW. :)
At this point there may still be some unevenness in the crossover frequency range (which should be set up as low as the fronts will reasonably allow). The subwoofer's phase control may take care of that. Theory says things will go funny if main-sub distance exceeds half a wavelength, which is hardly 1.2 m / 4' at 150 Hz, so keep that in mind as well (that's not to say that you couldn't get a good result otherwise but consistency across the room is likely to vary).

As a rule of thumb, room mode excitation is maximum near the borders (walls) and minimum in the center. Unfortunately many subwoofers need a bit of help from nearby walls which happen to increase levels as well. Sub construction also figures in here - a downfire sub is to be considered an effects device as it deliberately gets the speaker as close to the next surface (floor) as possible.

If you've got some really nasty resonances, some Helmholtz absorbers tuned to the offending frequencies may bring relief.

It is always a good idea to make sure that the floor isn't excited by the sub. Some types resonate very well and may require some concrete blocks or similar (box filled with sand, whatever) under anything emitting bass.

The pros will tell you that a single subwoofer in a room is an exercise in futility anyway. Ideally you'd have a double-bass array (DBA), or at least a single-bass array (SBA), such that the bass is emitted at the front and "sucked in" at the back without being able to build up resonance. Now only a few of us will want to pay for a bunch of subwoofers, but even two of them can already be used to improve frequency response and consistency across the room.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 December 2010, 17:44:26 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D