Author Topic: HHKB switch problem  (Read 7073 times)

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 12:13:14 »
I just got my HHKB pro 2, and there is a slight annoyance in the Return swtich; there is a tiny travel before it gets onness with cup rubber. When I rest my pinky on the key it's not flush with the rubber, and that's a bit annoying. I don't think I feel it during normal operation, though.

I popped the cap and it is the switch itself. Anyone has any experience with this? What can be done?
What\'s in the back of my car? A cdr lol

Split Tipro keyboard with R3 keycaps

Offline speakeasy

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 12:54:18 »
Did you buy it through elitekeyboards? Their policy with Topre is 1 year parts and labor and they even pay shipping both ways. You'll have to go without your keyboard for a while but that's the price you pay I guess.
[sigpic][/sigpic]
PiaNoppoo Choc Mini 茶轴

PUNCH THE KEYS FOR GOD\'S SAKE!

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 13:10:03 »
No, I'm in Europe so I couldn't use EK. It's not really severe or noticable during normal use, so I doubt I could have it repared.

woody

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 13:13:52 »
Minskleip, what's your REV / DATE printed on the back sticker?

Thanks to the great help of a very kind GH member (again, MANY THANKS!), I just recently got a HHKB Pro 2 from Japan. It's PD-KB400W, the white/gray with regular black printing. It is REV A0 from 2010-04.

I confirm Minskleip's observations - some keycaps are twisted and there are tiny mold leftover whiskers on the base of the keycaps here and there. The keycap twisting is noticeable if one inspects straight from above.

So, what's going on with HHKB? Is the quality going down or it was like this before? I am not saying I don't like the keyboard, but it is simply overpriced IMHO.

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 13:30:16 »
Quote from: woody;274081

Thanks to the great help of a very kind GH member (again, MANY THANKS!), I just recently got a HHKB Pro 2 from Japan. It's PD-KB400W, the white/gray with regular black printing. It is REV A0 from 2010-04.

I confirm Minskleip's observations - some keycaps are twisted and there are tiny mold leftover whiskers on the base of the keycaps here and there. The keycap twisting is noticeable if one inspects straight from above.

So, what's going on with HHKB? Is the quality going down or it was like this before? I am not saying I don't like the keyboard, but it is simply overpriced IMHO.

It's REV A0 from 2008. The guy at Amazon Marketplace had some old stock? The box has the Windows 7 sticker on it.

woody

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 13:57:01 »
Maybe the blank ones (WN) don't sell that much.

Offline ktkr

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 14:03:01 »
Quote from: woody;274081

Mine was manufactured in the first half of 2008 and it's exactly as you describe; the keys aren't aligned perfectly straight if you look from above and the keycaps have leftover plastic. The Realforces have some keycap twisting too, so I'd say it's a feature of the Topre switches.

Don't worry, thock away. Feels good, man.

I have never experienced the problem OP has, though. It certainly doesn't sound like normal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 January 2011, 14:09:28 by ktkr »

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 14:34:51 »
Quote from: ktkr;274107
I have never experienced the problem OP has, though. It certainly doesn't sound like normal.

It's like the following, just much less: when I got my Customizer, the stabeliser on the space bar made a little thonk before the key started working the spring. I fixed that by greasing the part where the stabeliser has contact with the plastic, but there's nothing to grease on the HHKB

woody

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 14:48:55 »
Quote from: ktkr;274107
Mine was manufactured in the first half of 2008 and it's exactly as you describe; the keys aren't aligned perfectly straight if you look from above and the keycaps have leftover plastic. The Realforces have some keycap twisting too, so I'd say it's a feature of the Topre switches.

Boo, damn overpriced keyboards!!!

Thanks for sharing that, now we know it's a feature.

Don't worry, thock away. Feels good, man.

Sure, it's good for a glorified rubber dome. ;-)
I like it so far, mostly for the compact layout.

Offline stuiees

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 14:52:43 »
Quote from: woody;274125
Sure, it's good for a glorified rubber dome. ;-)

Do a side by side comparison, and tell me that...
I like Topre!

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 January 2011, 15:18:35 »
It's not like a rubber dome because you don't have to bottom out. Or rather, on a rubber dome you have to smash the keys to the bottom, but on mechanicals you can dance on the keys like a ducky.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
HHKB switch problem
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 00:20:52 »
Quote from: Minskleip;274118
It's like the following, just much less: when I got my Customizer, the stabeliser on the space bar made a little thonk before the key started working the spring. I fixed that by greasing the part where the stabeliser has contact with the plastic, but there's nothing to grease on the HHKB

HHKB has a stabilizer on Return key, but you have to take apart completely
to see and grease it. It is a several hours tough work :(

Offline itlnstln

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 06:41:13 »
Quote from: stuiees;274126
Do a side by side comparison, and tell me that...

The HHKB is more rubber dome-like, IMO; not the same, but closer.  The Realforce is where the Topre money is at.  If the HHKB had the same keyfeel as the Realforce (or, better yet, had Cherry browns), I would leave GH forever and would never come back.

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 January 2011, 10:01:26 »
Quote from: hasu;274373
HHKB has a stabilizer on Return key, but you have to take apart completely
to see and grease it. It is a several hours tough work :(

Yeah, I just took a look at http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:6902, and the problem is also on the left shift. Thus, the stabelisers are not greased properly. Will I void the warranty if I open it up to spread the grease around? Should I send it back?

Offline patmok

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 13:10:10 »
Hey Minskleip, did you end up greasing it? If so could you post briefly what you did, e.g. did you remove all keycaps or was it accessible once you opened it up. I am considering doing the same.

Offline theferenc

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 15:13:43 »
Quote from: itlnstln;274477
The HHKB is more rubber dome-like, IMO; not the same, but closer.  The Realforce is where the Topre money is at.  If the HHKB had the same keyfeel as the Realforce (or, better yet, had Cherry browns), I would leave GH forever and would never come back.

You REALLY think browns feel better than the topres in the HHKB? You must be on some awesome ****. Care to share?

I concede that the realforce might feel even better than the HHKB, but nothing Cherry makes comes even close to feeling as nice as the topre switches.

I would like to see someone, anyone, start offering true HHKB competitors, based on size and layout, with at least a similar level of programmability (DIP switches or other). Since it was initially the layout that brought me to it in the first place.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline itlnstln

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 15:18:52 »
Quote from: theferenc;280614
You must be on some awesome ****.

Yes.  Horse****.

Offline Minskleip

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 16:27:31 »
Quote from: patmok;280535
Hey Minskleip, did you end up greasing it? If so could you post briefly what you did, e.g. did you remove all keycaps or was it accessible once you opened it up. I am considering doing the same.

No not yet, I'm too stressed about my work and living situation to do much of anything. There are some pictures of the HHKB opened up in the modding section however; you'll get an idea of what to do there. From what I remember, it looks like you don't have to take off the key caps.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
HHKB switch problem
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 20:36:03 »
The HHKBs are very easy to open (remove the screws on the back), and there's nothing in there that is easily breakable.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
HHKB switch problem
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 January 2011, 21:09:40 »
It is easy to open the case, but taking apart Topre switch is painstaking job.
Greasing up stabilizer needs to do that.

Offline patmok

HHKB switch problem
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 22 January 2011, 06:39:54 »
just used some white lithium grease and greased the stabilisers for the shift and enter key, problem fixed!