Author Topic: XArmor U9W / U27 Prototype  (Read 8223 times)

Offline Phaedrus2129

XArmor U9W / U27 Prototype
« on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 13:46:24 »
So XArmor's website has been offline for weeks and they aren't responding to my emails. If they don't reply to my last email by the end of the month I'm going to assume they've gone belly up (or that the brand/division has been disbanded), which frees me to do what I want with this:

An early prototype of the iOne XArmor U9W/U27 (I'll refer to it as the U9W from here on). This was given to me for product testing purposes in October 2010, and has seen moderate use on and off since then.

Info:
- Wireless (2.4GHz)
- Cherry MX Blue switches
- Steel plate construction
- Can use standard miniUSB cable if you prefer wired
- Accepts AA batteries

Since this is a prototype it's a little rough around the edges. This early version does not feature an on/off switch, which is its biggest con (this feature was added to the design after I commented on it). The top half of the case is from an XArmor U9BL, and so has the rubber coating, but does not perfectly snap together on the right hand side. There is no battery cover. It is designed to work with XArmor's snap-on wrist rest, but one did not come with this sample.

Build quality is otherwise pretty decent, with the same basic plate mount construction as the U9BL and Razer Black Widow.

Useful range of wireless operation is about 5-10 meters from the receiver, works with glitches out to 15 meters, does not work at all past that. Using a typical 1100W microwave within 5 meters may reduce useful range temporarily.

Battery life probably varies based on battery quality. Cheap-ass Kodak ZnC batteries last about six to ten weeks of moderate usage. Alkaline or Li batteries probably last about two to three times as long.

Keycaps are lasered and infilled, not sure what type of plastic. Lettering can be felt.

Keyboard came with an iOne wireless optical mouse. The mouse isn't very good and I advised them to package a better one with the keyboard or none at all. Still, it's good enough for couch mousing and can track (however poorly) on a number of surfaces including wood, glossy paper, fake leather, and jeans.

The wireless "nanoreceiver" is, naturally, very small. It's been tested to work flawlessly on multiple PCs (Windows and Ubuntu, haven't tried Mac OSX) and on a Play Station 3. All systems detected the device and installed drivers automatically, first time install takes about 3-5 seconds, after that generally takes no more than one second. The keyboard has a little slot on the back that the nanoreceiver can slot into during transport.

If I do have to conclude that XArmor is dead (if they don't get back to me) then I'll be selling it since I don't have a pressing need for it. Any appraisals?
Daily Driver: Noppoo Choc Mini
Currently own: IBM Model M 1391401 1988,  XArmor U9 prototype
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline pitashen

« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 14:13:11 »
Xarmor seems to be just a sub branding of iOne... like LanCool for LianLi... So... I wouldn't say its "dead". You might want to contact iOne directly instead.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 14:22:03 »
Quote from: ripster;297338
Such brand loyalty Phaedrus!

When I show brand loyalty you imply I'm a shill; and when I don't show brand loyalty you imply that's bad too? What's with you, man?
Previously owned: Ricercar SPOS, IBM M13 92G7461 1994, XArmor U9BL, XArmor U9W prototype, Cherry G80-8200LPDUS, Cherry G84-4100, Compaq MX-11800, Chicony KB-5181 (SMK Monterey), Reveal KB-7061, Cirque Wave Keyboard (ergonomic rubber domes), NMB RT101 (rubber dome), Dell AT101W

Offline laden3

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 14:52:49 »
Quote from: Phaedrus2129;297340
When I show brand loyalty you imply I'm a shill; and when I don't show brand loyalty you imply that's bad too? What's with you, man?

Filco-competitors phobia. These keyboards just look as yellow as the Legos.

How much is that keyboard and how heavy is it? IMHO the wireless feature is more suitable for something more portable.
I rrrove brrracks.

Offline Phaedrus2129

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 18 February 2011, 15:46:31 »
Quote from: laden3;297356
Filco-competitors phobia. These keyboards just look as yellow as the Legos.

How much is that keyboard and how heavy is it? IMHO the wireless feature is more suitable for something more portable.

Hard to judge weight, I don't have a scale capable of reading that low. Feels slightly lighter than, for instance, a Das, but heavier than a Cherry G80.

Offline hyperq

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 03:39:38 »
Ergogeek.com has X-Armor U9W wireless keyboard with brown switches for $89.  Not a bad price, and I am thinking about getting it.

Are there any other X-Armor U9W users out there?  Could you chime in and comment on the build quality, battery life, likes, dislikes, etc?
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.