Author Topic: Filco majestouch2 brown metallic ringing  (Read 21051 times)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Filco majestouch2 brown metallic ringing
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 16:07:05 »
I've noticed that your post count dramatically increases when you're ticked off.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #101 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 16:16:17 »
My Leopold also resonates on certain keys, but it ain't no thang.  Even this glorious Ninja has a little bit of ziiing, but not nearly as loud as the Leo or other Ninja/MJ2's.  Most of this thread (and that other 20+ page Ninja thread), while entertaining, doesn't particularly address where the sound is coming from: the metal plate.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what we have here is a music box kind of situation whereby the sound of the spring in the switch is amplified by the metal plate.

One would think that decoupling the switch from the metal plate shouldn't be too difficult, or at least dampening the metal plate.

Now then, my Deck at home has a ringing 'N' key, obviously from typing 'Ninja' so often into Geekhack.  Anyway I'll crack it open tonight and see if I can get the [strike]ring[/strike] zing dampened, thus proving that I will be the greatest keyboard dork on the planet!
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline morethanless

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 16:30:54 »
Attention please!

Nobody did open the case and recorded knocking directly on the metal plate. So we could hear if it is the plate or if we need the switch actuation to produce the sound.

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline redpill

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:12:05 »
Quote from: morethanless;360190
Attention please!

Nobody did open the case and recorded knocking directly on the metal plate. So we could hear if it is the plate or if we need the switch actuation to produce the sound.

Didn't make a recording, but did do that and it's definitely the plate.  I can actually knock on the desk next to the keyboard and hear it ring a bit; no wonder direct keystrokes make it sing.  There really isn't much to the case itself.

The metal plate needs additional dampening.  But because there's such a narrow gap there's no good way to do it.  In the interest of science I'm going to potentially sacrifice mine and shoot expansion foam in between there and see if 1) it's any quieter and 2) if it still is operational.  If the answer to one or both is no, well then I'll consider it my ritual sacrifice to the alter of Geekhack.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline redpill

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:18:55 »
Quote from: ripster;360218
Uh, you mean this stuff.  I wouldn't recommend that.  I'd try a reversible mod first.

Yes, that stuff.  I've tried other things with no impact.  Time to get a little nuts.

Prepare the LEGO burial detail just in case.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline posthaste

« Reply #105 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:23:48 »
If Ripster was the official North American Filco distributor, customer service sure would be interesting.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:25:16 »
An Alps Focus?

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19106[/ATTACH]
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline redpill

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:38:27 »
Tried cork and rubber.  Can't get enough of it in to dampen.  Since it's a 104 key, there's a big empty spot between the arrows and the home cluster.  No way to get to it, and I think it's a main contributor.  

It's ok ripster, just turn your head and don't watch.  When the foam cures tomorrow I'll break it to you gently.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:47:40 »
Apparently my first gen board does this too. I so don't care and I still love this keyboard. I also probably never would have notice it had I not seen this thread and started looking for it.

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 17:55:11 »
It sounds like it is the switch to me. I only hear it on the way up if right after the tactile bump. Solutor's clip shows off the sound pretty well. I would be willing to bet that if you went and really looked for it that you would hear this with other cherry brown based boards. It sounds like people making a problem out of nothing to me.

Offline fds

« Reply #110 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 18:19:59 »
Quote from: BababooeyHTJ;360250
It sounds like it is the switch to me. I only hear it on the way up if right after the tactile bump. Solutor's clip shows off the sound pretty well. I would be willing to bet that if you went and really looked for it that you would hear this with other cherry brown based boards. It sounds like people making a problem out of nothing to me.

I agree, to my ears it is coming from the individual keys/switches. At first I thought it was the entire case or metal plate resonating like some people were saying, but it's not. I think it's coming from the individual springs and you can hear it on any mech board if you listen closely enough. It just happens to be a little more noticeable on the mj2 for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 June 2011, 18:44:23 by fds »
Quote from: Zensuji;359837
Yeah I\'d defo keep it. I got 3 filcos here and all of them ping.  Didnt think anything of it until I read on here. Its 2 gen1\'s and a ninja and they all do it. I just hear it as all part of the filco sound and I quite like it. It must be extremely common as all 3 of mine and my friends does it. So out of the 4 Filcos I\'ve used all of them from different gens and batches all do it. I\'m sure if I get another and it doesnt ping you\'ll see a thread from me saying "WTF my filco doesnt ping!! return?!?"

Offline drsauced

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 18:49:20 »
Well, that is interesting, it could very well be that other springs are gaining sympathy to the resonating switch.  That would suck.

Wow, actually, it is:  on my Leo, holding down the Caps Lock and hitting the tab key results in less ring!  If I hold down many keys around the tab key the resonance is even less.  Not sure even foam will help.  Ripster, you just might be genius for posting that tuning fork video.