Author Topic: Deck (cherry clear) vs. Steel Series (Cherry Black) vs. Keytronic (Rubber Dome)  (Read 3283 times)

Offline Viper2

I am confused as to which keyboard to buy for typing and gaming.  Cherry Brown is too light for me, Model-M is too noisy, and Realforce Topre doesn't have a 55g keyboard with easy to read lettering.  So my choices left are Deck (Cherry Clear), Steel Series (Cherry Black), or Keytronic (Rubber Dome). However, I have heard that the Deck keyboard has a different feel to it because all the keys are the same level.

Which is the best choice?

Any responses will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline chel-

While I cant comment on the switch (I really like black switches) I can tell you that the steeseries have really crappy keys.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Typing on someone else's Dell Quietkey right now and it's awesome!! So I went ahead and bought one on Ebay for about $18. I would recommend it over Keytronic. I tried one and didn't like it that much. Spacebar was pretty sharp too. Man, this thing (Quietkey) is pretty good.
Keyboardless

Offline Surly73

IMO, most Dell Quietkeys out there aren't the good ones.  I've seen literally rooms full of ones that will seize up my forearms in about 30 minutes of typing because they are so bad.  The "good ones" are often only distinguishable by looking at country of origin, or knowing the list of "good" model #s.  

IMO, recommending a "Dell Quietkey" without heavily qualifying that with additional information is pretty risky.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Quote from: Surly73;350391
IMO, most Dell Quietkeys out there aren't the good ones.  I've seen literally rooms full of ones that will seize up my forearms in about 30 minutes of typing because they are so bad.  The "good ones" are often only distinguishable by looking at country of origin, or knowing the list of "good" model #s.  

IMO, recommending a "Dell Quietkey" without heavily qualifying that with additional information is pretty risky.

Hmmm, I did not know that. The one I was able to try is definitely an older model. What am I looking for as far as country, model#... I guess I can try to swap that one out with mine when I get it. The room is pretty dark and I don't think the guy uses that keyboard that much. He'll probably think it's an upgrade  :smile:

Found the Model# - It's SK-8000 (035KKW). Made in China. The one I bought on Ebay was 0463CD. Good thing it was $18 instead of $180. I'll ask the guy if I can swap out with his Quietkey. I don't think he minds since his primary keyboard is a white plastic Apple keyboard.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2011, 17:38:12 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
I game on Cherry black almost exclusively. Every once in a while I try another key switch, but I always come back. It's a smooth switch, like good sex, with absolutely no hysteresis to speak of. I'm a fan of Cherry brown for day-to-day typing, and therefore getting curious about Cherry clears.

I've tried gaming with ALPS white(complicated/simplified/clone) and Monterrey; buckling springs; Cherry black/blue/brown, rubber dome, and scissors. I always take the time to put a Cherry black keyboard in front of me when I get ready to game.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline The Solutor

Cherry clears should feet your needs
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Quote from: mmmty;350395
Hmmm, I did not know that. The one I was able to try is definitely an older model. What am I looking for as far as country, model#... I guess I can try to swap that one out with mine when I get it. The room is pretty dark and I don't think the guy uses that keyboard that much. He'll probably think it's an upgrade  :smile:

Found the Model# - It's SK-8000 (035KKW). Made in China. The one I bought on Ebay was 0463CD. Good thing it was $18 instead of $180. I'll ask the guy if I can swap out with his Quietkey. I don't think he minds since his primary keyboard is a white plastic Apple keyboard.
Keyboardless

Offline BucklingSpring

Quote from: The Solutor;350414
Cherry clears should feet your needs

Plus - Same level on Decks never bugged me.
Typing on a Deck do not feel weird.
Getting back to a "stair" like keyboard after using a Deck for a while will feel strange at first but not for long.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline bionicroach

I really liked the Deck Legend Tactile (Clears) that I owned, but returned it during the trial period because the Clears were just a little too heavy for me.  Other than that, I had zero complaints about it.  I thought the non-stepped keys would bother me as well, but I agree with BucklingSpring that it really isn't that big of a deal.  If anything, I felt my typing was super-accurate on it for whatever reason.  Build quality on mine was excellent and Deck had great customer service when dealing with my return, so I wouldn't be worried about them handling any issues that you might have.  If Deck ever made a Legend with Blues, Browns, or Reds, I would almost definitely buy another one.  (Or, if I ever get half-decent at soldering, I may get another Clear one and mod it with lighter springs myself.)

In your case, if you are OK with the force required by a Model-M but don't like the noise, the Clears might be a good choice for you.  The styling of the Deck is definitely a love / hate issue with many, but I actually kind of like the weird keycap font just because it's different.

Offline redpill

I can second bionicroach's experience with Deck.  Keyboard felt very solid and the keycaps are nice.  I also wound up sending it back because they sent me USB instead of PS/2, but also because cherry blacks were too heavy for me and the illuminated characters on the keys began to annoy me.  But otherwise well made.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
I'll try to sneak in like a ninja tomorrow and do it while he's not watching :)  I just came up with another plan. I can say "your keyboard has a virus and it needs to be replaced immediately!!".
It's pretty dark in there.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 May 2011, 21:07:46 by mmmty »
Keyboardless

Offline Zet

If you really want to go with blacks, I would definitively would recommend to look somewhere else, there's other brands that have really nicer keyboards than the SteelSeries ones.

Offline Surly73

Quote from: mmmty;350395

I've heard high praise for the Thailand RT7D5JTW but I have not committed a full suite of QuietKey expertise to memory - sorry.  I'm sure it should be around geekhack somewhere.  Ripster will probably be along with some kind of a photo featuring lego with a pointer to a wiki any moment... :)

Offline Tony

Before using a mechanical keyboard, I was really impressed with a Keytronic keyboard. But right now I have a Filco, so my sturdy Keytronic keyboard have to stay on the shelves. Still, you will be very happy with Keytronic keyboard's quality and built.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Surly73

Quote from: Tony;350698
Before using a mechanical keyboard, I was really impressed with a Keytronic keyboard. But right now I have a Filco, so my sturdy Keytronic keyboard have to stay on the shelves. Still, you will be very happy with Keytronic keyboard's quality and built.

I find that "build" is where the Keytronic suffers the most compared to the so-called premium keyboards we like around here.  I can feel the key caps twist a little while typing, sometimes there's some stiction/jamming in the downstroke, they make a "pliky" noise on release and the caps are made from a very thin and bendable plastic.  On the other hand, they have a nice "poppy" tactile point, have variable force mapping based on an ergo pattern, are available in lots of layouts and colours, are rated for many millions of keystrokes and are CHEAP.

Considering they're $20 or so, they get my nod as some of the best of the 'domes and perform excellently at their price point.

Offline Viper2

Thanks for the responses everyone.