Author Topic: Who Can Space With Both Thumbs?  (Read 13374 times)

Offline Keylamity

Who Can Space With Both Thumbs?
« on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 01:41:55 »
I type spaces with my right thumb only, which really speeds up the process of producing a one-spot shine on the keyboard.  So I decided I'd try to start spacing with the left, y'know, to space out the wear and tear and make it less impacting on the board.

It's like trying to consciously make your heart beat. All of my keyboarding is dramatically affected by trying to key with the other thumb....I lose like 50wpm.

I give up.  

Think it's doable? Try it.

I'd like know though, is it impossible to do?  I know there are people who can and do use both thumbs, but has anyone ever gone from being a uni-thumber to dual-thumbs successfully?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 02:23:22 »
I've tried this numerous times. With the exact same results as yourself. Very frustrating to say the least. What I'd like to do is train myself to alternate thumbs each time i needed to hit the space bar.

But I think that most people only thumb the space bar with one hand.

Offline Tony

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 02:54:37 »
I think we always press the space with the stronger hand. I am left handed, so I use left thumb.

Have you tried to write with both hands? Although it is doable, is it necessary?
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline Wallach

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 03:01:00 »
I'm the same way, man. Same with a few keys that I don't hit in the standard touch typing style - "p" with my right ring finger, "b" with my right index finger, "c" with my left index finger. I've tried changing my habits but it is frustratingly hard, so I just go with it. I still type around ~120 WPM in QWERTY so I don't bother messing with it anymore.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 03:06:56 »
haha, i never even realized that my right thumb is my space-bar thumb.

i do often change up Y and B though based on where my index fingers are right before i need to type a Y or a B
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline hemflit

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 03:38:17 »
A friend of mine solves these problems by biting himself on the offending finger (in your case right thumb) when ever he catches himself doing the thing he's trying to avoid doing. No exceptions. He says that can wean him off any habit.

But IMHO shinying up the spacebar is not enough reason to go through this. If you thought it would make you type faster or more comfortably, sure. But the spacebar is just a piece of plastic. There, I said it. :)

Offline elef

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 04:13:00 »
I tried to do this in this post. It sure feels weird. I still hit the spacebar with my right thumb like 30% of the time and make a bunch of typos while typing like 30wpm slower than usual. I'm sure I could get used to it in a few weeks if I really wanted, though. My spacebar is not that close to my heart, so I'm not gonna try.

Offline xwhatsit

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 05:31:42 »
Get an M :) Shiny keys? Pah!
Beam spring IBM 5251 (7361073/7362149) & IBM 3727 (5641316) | Model F IBM 122-key terminal & IBM PC-AT 84-key | Model M Unicomp 122-key terminal | Cherry MX Blue Leopold Tenkeyless

Offline RiGS

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 05:38:49 »
I'm right handed, yet I use my left thumb.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline redpill

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 09:41:55 »
You want them to start biting young children?

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline nebiki

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 10:16:38 »
i use left thumb/right index depending which hand i typed the last key with.
examples:

ten - n = right hand, so left thumb = space bar.
twelve - e = left hand, so right index finger = space bar.

i actually never noticed this before, thanks for bringing this up.

actually, when typing this i've noticed it's not that easy. sometimes i still use the thumb even if the last character was typed with my left hand. i guess it depends on if i know which word i'll type after the space bar. and no, i'm not slow, about 110 wpm.

Offline Zet

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 10:41:40 »
I press my space bar with my right index finger, :D

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 10:55:22 »
No I've never tried that. I'm actually ambidextrous but I always use my right thumb anyway.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Tony

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 10:56:52 »
Hopefully in the future the Space bar will be splitted, so that we can type another key with our thumbs.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline baller1308

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 11:40:38 »
I'm in the same boat and predominately use my right thumb to type spaces.  But, obviously when I game I use my left.  So my suggestion, start gaming and jump a lot to even out the shine :P
Noppoo Choc Mini [Browns]
HPE 87 [Browns]

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 15:30:33 »
I'm right-handed but I spacebar with my left thumb 100% of the time. I guess it's how you started when you first learn how to type. Being able to alternate would make it faster but it's probably too late for me now.
Keyboardless

Offline RAICHU

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 16:03:25 »
Quote from: RiGS;352726
I'm right handed, yet I use my left thumb.

Same. :/
Rosewill RK-9000RE (Daily Driver) Filco Majestouch 1 Fullsize    [strike]Noppoo Choc Mini[/strike]     [strike]Leopold Tenkeyless[/strike]     [strike]Noppoo Choc Mini[/strike] [/B]

Offline elef

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 16:18:15 »
Quote from: mmmty;352885
Being able to alternate would make it faster

I don't think so. The thumb is so far away from the rest of the action, I think that typing the letters and hitting the spacebar are mutually unaffected by each other.

Offline TheMightyGoat

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 16:44:52 »
I alternate between my left thumb and right index finger depending on where my hands are at the time. I paid attention just now, typing this, and used each several times - not sure which I use more.

I'm right handed, by the way.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 17:05:20 »
I have a good example. Think of a boxer. Is it faster to punch with a left and another left or is it faster to punch with a left follow by a right? I can hit the spacebar with my right thumb as I release the key I hit with one of my left fingers and vise versa. Since I have to enter my password many times at work, I came up with a password that alternate both hands. mancow8$ is faster than Password! Now you just have to find out where I work  : )
Keyboardless

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 17:06:02 »
Quote from: elef;352901
I don't think so. The thumb is so far away from the rest of the action, I think that typing the letters and hitting the spacebar are mutually unaffected by each other.

I have a good example. Think of a boxer. Is it faster to punch with a left and another left or is it faster to punch with a left follow by a right? I can hit the spacebar with my right thumb as I release the key I hit with one of my left fingers and vise versa. Since I have to enter my password many times at work, I came up with a password that alternate both hands. mancow8$ is faster than Password! Now you just have to find out where I work  : )
Keyboardless

Offline CurtisLeon

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 17:07:53 »
Rather hard to do for me, being as how half of my spacebar is a backspace key.
Currently Using

Space Invaders: NMB RTRT8255CW+
Black ALPS: Dell AT101W
Foam & Foil: BTC 5339SX

In Storage

White ALPS (complicated): Focus FK-2001, Reveal KB-7061 (Chicony rebrand), PC Concepts KB-7000 (Chicony rebrand)
Orange ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard (modded to ghetto Blue ALPS)
Peerless: Fujitsu FKB4700
Foam & Foil: LR 69497 (unknown make, terminal keyboard)

Offline Surly73

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 18:23:55 »
I'm a right thumber when typing, left when gaming.  I also seem to exclusively use the left hand modifiers (SHIFT, CTRL, ALT)

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 18:50:08 »
Haha, I talked to my buddy about this the other day. We both use the left shift only :) My right pinky literally doesn't know where the shift is.

Quote from: Surly73;352936
I'm a right thumber when typing, left when gaming.  I also seem to exclusively use the left hand modifiers (SHIFT, CTRL, ALT)

Sent from my EVO
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Wallach

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 19:28:52 »
Quote from: mmmty;352912

This would be more relevant if your thumb had any other keys to hit besides space bar, or you ever really hit the space bar more than once before hitting another key.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 20:18:08 »
I guess this is a case for the MythBusters. At the very least it should make your spacebar hand less fatigue having the other hand sharing the load.
Keyboardless

Offline chongyixiong

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 20:28:30 »
I'm right handed and I space bar on the left too.

But I switch between them interchangeably when I'm conscious about it as I don't want it to be shineeeeeyyy

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 21:50:15 »
I think we're all going to assume that your dominant hand is the reason why you choose to space with your left thumb or your right thumb, but it's possible that there are cultural factors in play too. In hockey, it's more common for American players to shoot right handed, but in most other areas of the world, people have a bias toward shooting left handed.

I've noticed that one person here mentioned that he's a lefty thumber when gaming and a right thumber otherwise. It might be that people who have grown up on FPS games that use WASD controls and a mouse are more likely to space with the left thumb since they get so used to it from gaming. Those of us who grew up with Atari Sticks and Zork wouldn't have had these experiences early on.

I'm right handed and my habits are pretty consistent with right handed people in most areas, except one. I'm a southpaw when doing martial arts. I'm not sure how I ended up that way, but it could be that the first martial arts class I took was three months of Wah-Lum Kung Fu (Praying Mantis style) which does a lot of parrying with the weak hand and a counter strike with the strong hand. I went on to other martial arts, but it's possible that the three month intro I had set me up to be a southpaw.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline BababooeyHTJ

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 May 2011, 22:22:13 »
Quote from: ripster;352764
Think body parts.

I couldn't reach. :tsk:

Offline Silens

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 31 May 2011, 10:03:10 »
I'm right handed; I only press the spacebar with my right hand when I'm typing English (QWERTY), but alternate when I am typing Korean (두벌식).

For shift, I also only use my left hand when typing English and alternate when typing Korean.