Author Topic: [Brown] KBC Poker / Filco Tenkeyless [FKBN87M/EB] / Noppoo Choc Mini / PLU87  (Read 5829 times)

Offline Peleg

I found great Taobao agent , great prices include shipping to my country.

So, I love the brown , tactile and not very clicky :)
I Am Programmer, but HHBK2 is 300$ , I can't afford it now.

These are the options I can't deceide between:
All Price Include Handling , Shipping , Taxes [Approx.]:
* KBC Poker (Cherry Brown) = 95$ (USD)
* Filco Tenkeyless (Cherry Brown) [FKBN87M/EB] = 158$ (USD) (Barely Can afford,But if it must so..)
* Noppoo Choc Mini (Cherry Brown) = 95$ (USD)
* PLU87 (Cherry Brown) = 89$ (USD)

If there are other models that you think is better, You can suggest.
Thank you very much.

P.S(1) I heard "Ducky" and quality, Ture?

P.S(2) By the way , Where can I find PBT Keys ? Even Blank is Great.
« Last Edit: Wed, 01 June 2011, 17:04:12 by Peleg »

Offline redpill

The KBC Poker is fun, but imho is a bit flimsy to be a primary keyboard.  The right shift as the up arrow when arrow-lock is on takes some getting used to.  The Leo that ripster mentioned may be a nice compromise, still fairly compact but you get regular arrow keys which you are probably used to for programming.  Unless you really want a mini layout, I'd think a Leopold or the Filco would be more comfortable on a daily basis.  But I'm kind of an old fart, so what do I know about new fangled programmer types!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Peleg

Can't find Leopold on tabao.

So Non-Compact , Regular Keyboard.
What model ?

ripster,
Leopold are better than the Filco ?

I'm talking about PRIMARY keyboard, full-size with arrows.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Get a Filco 104

Offline rustybarnacle

The noppoo choc mini would be my choice.  It's among the uglier stock boards you're going to find, but it's a fantastic feel and the combination of complete layout (sans 10 key) and compact footprint is tough to beat.  Love me the choc mini.  I'm tempted to get another for the office (where I currently use my otaku brown leopold tenkeyless, which is also nice)

Offline imsto

• * Vendor
    • imsto.cn
u will get 4 different suggestions.
imsto.cn
imsto's AiKB Taobao Shop
IBM Model M*3, IBM M13,M5, IBM with balls.Cherry   3000  3494 3700 4100*6 700*2 11900 8113 DAS4 TG3 KBC PokerDucky09Ducky1087 apple pink alps Ducky bull,tiger,rabbit,dragon version No:0000002

Offline Tony

Get the best Filco if you can afford it, or you can save money and get the Filco-imitating PLU87 for a start.

Later you will always buy a Filco (no one here can resist), so make it your first keyboard is to save your money.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
Quote from: imsto;354502
u will get 4 different suggestions.

+1
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Zet

I agree with other fellow GHers, if you spend that extra on the Filco, you probably won't get disappointed, and from the list, I would definitively pick the filco.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
What about a DAS. I think it's pretty good too. I was thinking about selling it because I already have 4 browns keyboards. But the keystrokes feel so nice I just have to keep it.
Keyboardless

Offline Zet

Quote from: mmmty;354514
What about a DAS. I think it's pretty good too. I was thinking about selling it because I already have 4 browns keyboards. But the keystrokes feel so nice I just have to keep it.

hey mmmty, on your personal experience, how do you deal with the glossy end? I'm also thinking a lot about getting a DAS, like I mentioned somewhere else, I've been going around with the idea of having a special vinyl adhesive custom made for it, but I want to know if there's other ways you guys have taken...

Offline Peleg

Filco FKB104M/EB (104 Keys) are better than the Tenkeyless FKBN87M/EB ?
If so , then I'll buy it. I just hope I can carry her sometime.

By the way , I thought KBC Poker is the most recommended , what happend ?
still , I'm listening to you guys , I'm gonna buy it tommorrow.

Thank you.

Offline Zet

I have a 104key Filco, and it's heavy, like, really heavy, at least compared to rubber dome keyboards, if you want to consider carrying it from time to time, image carrying a 18" laptop with big batteries on it or something like that (talking about weigh). Just on a personal note, I carry my keyboard and mouse, twice a day to my job and back to my house, since I have only one of them (filco majestouch2 104key with red switches and a Razer Naga), if I'm able to afford new ones for job on the future, I would still be doubt full about leaving those in the office, with all those noob developers around, I don't want them near my stuff so, I rather take them back with me. LOL.

Still, you can carry a full layout keyboard on a backpack with the proper height, just try to measure it. Also, if you get one like the DAS, or BWU, forget about carrying it anywhere, those are bigger and get scratches easy, not worth carrying them around.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
i don't know about the poker being the most recommended. it is highly desired right now, but many of us are still waiting for them so can't say for certain. i'm fairly sure it will be my dreams come true, but thats far from saying it is for everyone. if you're sure you want a compact then go for one, otherwise tenkeyless would be a safer choice. plu87 if you really need to spend less, otherwise the filco.
you should be able to find pbt keycaps on taobao as well. someone is usually selling at least the black / black or white / white ones. theres also zany ones like rainbow etc often. be prepared to spend half as much as a keyboard for a set though. often in the $40-$50 range after agent fees and shipping.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
Quote from: Zet;354530
hey mmmty, on your personal experience, how do you deal with the glossy end? I'm also thinking a lot about getting a DAS, like I mentioned somewhere else, I've been going around with the idea of having a special vinyl adhesive custom made for it, but I want to know if there's other ways you guys have taken...

I haven't found a way to deal with the glossy finish yet. It is kind of a pain. Even micro fiber cloth doesn't seem to help. It doesn't look too bad if you're not looking at it closely. But I already see smudges and fine scratches that I can't get off. And I only had it for a week. A custom vinyl sounds like a cool idea. But that will probably take away its Das Vader look.

Keyboardless

Offline Tony

I suppose that the glossy-key problems will not be solved, otherwise replacement keycaps cannot be sold to you guys.

Learning to touch-type can help. You will not look at the keyboard to notice such and such.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Quote from: Tony;354592
I suppose that the glossy-key problems will not be solved, otherwise replacement keycaps cannot be sold to you guys.

Learning to touch-type can help. You will not look at the keyboard to notice such and such.

That does help quite a bit, however the thing that bother's the crap out of me is the slick glossy feeling on my fingertips

Offline Mazora

The layout is so bad for coding. Bad idea imo.

Quote from: rustybarnacle;354407
The noppoo choc mini would be my choice.  It's among the uglier stock boards you're going to find, but it's a fantastic feel and the combination of complete layout (sans 10 key) and compact footprint is tough to beat.  Love me the choc mini.  I'm tempted to get another for the office (where I currently use my otaku brown leopold tenkeyless, which is also nice)
HHKB Pro 2: black case white keys
Filco Masjestouch v2 / MX-Reds / hard lending pads /Dye-sub keycaps
RF-87UW

Offline dreamingftw

I can't say much about the das but I have a black widow ultimate that was the same glossy finish. Not sure if it's the same material but it really bugs me seeing fingerprints and smudges on it. It also attracts a lot of dust. I ended up replacing it with filco blues. I also have the noppoo choc. I love the way it feels. The switches are smooth and feel nice to type on. Hope this helps.