Author Topic: Just got my Filco Ninja from Amazon!! :D (Brown Switch) Video!  (Read 6160 times)

Offline Reason

Just got my Filco Ninja from Amazon yesterday and played Starcraft 2 for about 11 hours straight lol
I absolutely love this keyboard.. the keys feel a bit light but I'm getting used to them :)

Here's the video I uploaded on Youtube:

[video=youtube;IOPTH1ipH10]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOPTH1ipH10[/video]

and I don't seem to have the pinging problem that other people have mentioned...
so I'm very very satisfied :)

Offline Zet

Just got my Filco Ninja from Amazon!! :D (Brown Switch) Video!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:53:46 »
Congratulations mate :))))

Offline calavera

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 13:57:21 »
filco is best. thats a fact. :)

Offline dreamingftw

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 14:04:12 »
I got the same kb from amazon and love the feel of the mx browns. I put the ninja keycaps on my mx blues though. Looks real sleek.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 14:11:20 »
I'm typing on my Ninja with browns at work right now, love the feel.  My main keyboard at home is a 104 with reds, so the browns feel really nice (since I'm used to the light touch now).  These boards are a dream to type on.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline zinger

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 14:15:36 »
Am I the only one who can hear the pinging in the video?

Offline Reason

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 14:31:56 »
Quote from: ripster;358010
It's there.

My dog is starting to howl.

??? o_o

Offline morethanless

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 14:52:16 »
My canary bird does start whistling if he hears water boiling in the electric kettle.
Honestly, I couldn't hear the ping. I may try my headphones instead of loudspeakers

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline Reason

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 15:08:34 »
there's like slight ping in the keys but isn't that normal?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:09:25 »
Quote from: zinger;358006
Am I the only one who can hear the pinging in the video?

I had to turn it up pretty loud to hear it, but yeah... on the J and the space bar it's pretty apparent.

Offline Lester

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 16:52:27 »
Hear some ticky noise on the spacebar, I suppose thats the "pinging problem"?

Offline substract

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:39:26 »
Congrats.  How long did it take for them to ship it?  I selected super free saver shipping and they are literally taking 5 business days to process the order and actually ship it.

I can't hear the ping at all at my speaker volume but then I don't really want to go looking for it.

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:46:34 »
When you pick super saver with amazon you're telling them to ship it whenever they feel like it.  I picked 5 day and i got it in 3 days.

I don't hear the pinging and I know what I'm listening for.
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline substract

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:52:00 »
It sucks cause I usually get my items within 3-4 days whenever I pick super free shipping but not this time.

Offline RiGS

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:52:26 »
I heard the pinging sound when you hit the W, E, J, Left Ctrl & spacebar, and I don't like that sound at all.
Btw that Ninja looks really nice, sadly Filco is not for me.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 17:57:24 »
I turned my receiver all the way up to 0 db, normally keep it at -25 db, and put my head right next to my klipsch c-2 center and then i could hear it.

You'd have to pretty much do the same thing to hear it while typing... put your head right next to the keyboard.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:07:18 »
11 hours straight...  I don't know whether to commend your stamina or tell you to get a life.

Offline sam113101

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:17:04 »
I always had this pinging on my das.
Hoping to hear from you again, your dearest friend, sam113101.

Offline SecrtAgentMan

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:35:21 »
Ping problem you say?

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:51:57 »
Creative X-Fi connected optically to a Pioneer VSX-1120K with Klipsch C-2, F-2's and an RW-10 sub - (quintets for surround).  So you're saying I have bad ears?

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 June 2011, 18:57:25 »
The sound you guys are calling the PING is just the spring sound.  The Filco I heard pinging on, while typing on it myself, was much more pronounced and it resonated across the whole board as you typed.

Offline pcunite

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 10 June 2011, 13:10:52 »
I hear the ping on the space bar. I love that Ninja look! Sometimes the backspace key on my Filco Majestouch tenkeyless Black MX version 1 exhibits maybe a somewhat similar noise and also squeaks. I need to use some lube on it. Using a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 speaker system to hear the video by the way.

Offline Reason

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 23:49:57 »
so you guys saying that i should return this keyboard?
i thought the slight pinging / ringing was like natural on cherry switches?

Offline dolphingarden

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 12 June 2011, 23:53:11 »
Only if it bothers you. Honestly this isn't a matter of your keyboard functioning properly, it's about personal preference. Return it if you're OCD about these kinds of things.
Filco Majestouch-2 Ninja Brown "Random deep sounding bull**** quote" ~ Tun Szu

Offline redpill

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 00:40:52 »
Quote from: canon.tk;358123
The sound you guys are calling the PING is just the spring sound.  The Filco I heard pinging on, while typing on it myself, was much more pronounced and it resonated across the whole board as you typed.

This.

Individual mechanical switches tend to make noise because they are, well, mechanical.  The "Ringing Filco" is when some number of the keyboards have an issue wherein the entire metal plate sings like a tuning fork when you are typing and it is quite distinctive.  

Many people are very satisfied with their Filcos and have had no such issue, and it's not, as some would contend, a "normal" sound that "normal" people don't notice.  Easiest way to alleviate your concern is to buy it from a reputable seller to which you could return it if it was a problem.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline redpill

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:32:22 »
I really don't think you're in a position to lecture anyone about obsessive compulsive behavior, ripster.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Tony

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:38:18 »
My MJ1 Filco brown is of quite the same sound. I like that Ninja keycaps and am ordering one.

The MJ2 with these keycaps looks quite nice.
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 01:41:24 »
i always thought the ping was a coincidence with my neighbor always playing ping pong in his driveway
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 03:42:57 »
Quote from: Reason;359755
so you guys saying that i should return this keyboard?
i thought the slight pinging / ringing was like natural on cherry switches?

Reason - don't worry about it. Sounds like you are happy with your purchase.  I have two Filcos and one has some pinging and the other doesn't. At least not to my ears. The one that does have the pinging, I didn't even notice until I read about it here.  I'm pretty anal about my stuff and am the queen of returns but I'm keeping both my Filcos.  You could keep buying and I'm sure it's hit or miss on the pinging.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Zensuji

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 04:11:20 »
Yeah I'd defo keep it. I got 3 filcos here and all of them ping.  Didnt think anything of it until I read on here. Its 2 gen1's and a ninja and they all do it. I just hear it as all part of the filco sound and I quite like it. It must be extremely common as all 3 of mine and my friends does it. So out of the 4 Filcos I've used all of them from different gens and batches all do it. I'm sure if I get another and it doesnt ping you'll see a thread from me saying "WTF my filco doesnt ping!! return?!?"

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 08:11:13 »
The ringing (not ping) in question before was a very loud defect we found on SOME filcos with brown switches. Doesnt happen with any other switch, to my knowledge.

Offline Reason

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 13 June 2011, 08:52:39 »
Alright thanks guys :) I'll defo keep this keyboard!

Offline theopratama

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 18 June 2011, 08:41:31 »
congrats yo ...
in indonesia that keyboard is very rare .. :(

Ninja keyboard is awesome ..the key look like blanks  ... LOL

Offline euler

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 02:56:30 »
My Filco Ninja also just arrived, and I am mighty impressed with its overall quality.  Thanks geekhack! Ya let me know there are alternatives to my soggy z-board and crappl wireless board.

Offline jnchin

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:58:17 »
Quote from: substract;358096
Congrats.  How long did it take for them to ship it?  I selected super free saver shipping and they are literally taking 5 business days to process the order and actually ship it.

I can't hear the ping at all at my speaker volume but then I don't really want to go looking for it.

I'm in the same boat.  Thats just amazon policy with super saver, where they wait 7 business days and mail it with a 1 day delivery.  I ordered mine june 14th and they still haven't shipped yet....
--------------------------------------------
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Cherry::Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Offline jnchin

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 22:03:00 »
On the note of pinging/ringing...  I want to also point out that you guys probably need to raise the volume to the point where the typing is as loud as hammering before you can hear any semblance of "ringing".
--------------------------------------------
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Cherry::Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 01:24:43 »
This might be a little off topic, but does anyone else have the problem of not being able to add to cart on Amazon any Filco ninja keyboards? It seems to be just the ninja versions specifically and the only way around it is to add to cart through my phone or the mobile version of the website. This issue also happens to HHKB keyboards from USER SIDE.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 01:34:43 »
Alright. Thanks, ripster. I only learned about it Friday when I was buying one for a friend.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2011, 01:36:54 by hcry4 »

Offline sandman0248

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 07:32:44 »
hcry4, I experienced the same thing with Amazon this weekend trying to by the Ninja extended cherry brown. I found a way to activate 1-Click purchase and that worked.
Mac nerd. Budding mechanical keyboard enthusiast. Keyboards actively used, in order of preference: Matias Tactile Pro 3; Filco Ninja Majestouch-2 Extended (Cherry MX Brown) in all of its pinging glory; Unicomp SpaceSaver M

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 09:43:15 »
They are Ninjas, that's what they do!   Sneaky Ninjas.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 11:21:48 »
Yea, 1-click shows up. Filco Ninjas only available to true Geekhackers I suppose...or impulse buyers.

Offline euler

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 00:23:33 »
Quote from: hcry4;363842
This might be a little off topic, but does anyone else have the problem of not being able to add to cart on Amazon any Filco ninja keyboards? It seems to be just the ninja versions specifically and the only way around it is to add to cart through my phone or the mobile version of the website. This issue also happens to HHKB keyboards from USER SIDE.

I didn't have a problem ordering the Ninja on Amazon's website. I used their one-click to start the purchase.

Offline spitfire6000

« Reply #42 on: Thu, 23 June 2011, 05:08:08 »
Quote from: euler;364536
I didn't have a problem ordering the Ninja on Amazon's website. I used their one-click to start the purchase.

I had another way to purchase my blackswitch ninja in case anyone wants to grab the last 6 up there...

1) Add it to your wishlist
2) go to your wishlist and click order....OR....browse some more pages and it will automatically suggest the item from your wishlist with a add to cart option.
3) Done.