Author Topic: new filco with browns OTW  (Read 3344 times)

Offline jnchin

new filco with browns OTW
« on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 12:47:35 »
I'm really excited to replace my logitech illuminated keyboard with a filco majestouch 2 with brown switches!!!  Its shipped by amazon with free 5-10 day business shipping... So I'm really anxiously waiting at work while it arrives.

In the mean time, I was hoping someone could point to some good sites to buy some good quality keycaps in case that was something I wanted to do to really pimp out my keyboard
--------------------------------------------
Filco Majestouch 2 Brown Cherry::Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Offline Titmouse

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 12:51:52 »
Welcome! I'm sure you'll like it.
"Surprise! We threw away your old ugly keyboard and got you a brand new ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft!"  -- Findecanor

Offline redpill

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:00:17 »
Congrats on the purchase, I'm sure you'll have a ringin' good time!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline jnchin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:08:09 »
Oh no, is the ringing really bad?  I bought this for work, since I'm a software engineer I wanted to pamper my hands while doing work...  I don't want to bother the coworkers too badly, is this something that'll put me on everyones ****list at work?

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:18:54 »
It sounds like this...

Keyboardless

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:19:04 »
Some say it is, others not. Seems to be an intermittent issue. Good luck!

Offline canon.tk

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:21:36 »
Fud
Filco Majestouch 104 Cherry MX Black; Filco Majestouch 87 Ninja Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch Indigo Blue 104 Cherry MX Brown; Filco Majestouch 2 104 Cherry MX Red; Leopold 87 Otaku Cherry MX Brown; Leopold 87 Cherry MX Brown; Razer Black Widow Ultimate

Offline jnchin

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:25:51 »
Am I supposed to be hearing ringing or something with this video?  sounds like normal typing to me?  I'm so lost, but I'm going to assume that if it sounds like this video everything will be fine

[video=youtube;FODqOs5oPv0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FODqOs5oPv0&feature=player_embedded[/video]
Courtesy of Redpill[/QUOTE]

Also on a very side note ripster, do you actually use ALL your keyboards, or do you have all but your blue cherry tenkeyless in a closet somewhere?

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:26:00 »
Quote from: canon.tk;361844
Fud

Ruckers. Fudruckers.

I ate there once. In South Carolina.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:27:15 »
PBT keycaps seem to help. Just noticed after I replaced my Filco tenkeyless keycaps yesterday. There were some *ping*s coming from the springs (different from the *gong*s from the plate). Now they're all gone!
Keyboardless

Offline jnchin

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:42:53 »
Actually after rewatching the video with the volume turned up I could hear the "ringing" but I still don't think it will be a big enough deal for me to cancel my purchase... SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!  (more exclamations denote more excitement)

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:44:04 »
Congrats! Please post pics and impressions when you get it.

Offline redpill

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:47:21 »
Don't worry, even if it rings there are certain...

...remedies.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Titmouse

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:47:42 »
Don't worry. I think the pinging is blown way out of proportion by idle people who are on the interweb all day instead of working (you know who you are, ;) ). It's browns, not blues or buckling spring. I've been using a blue keyboard at work. The guy in the next cubicle never complained about noise.
"Surprise! We threw away your old ugly keyboard and got you a brand new ergonomic keyboard from Microsoft!"  -- Findecanor

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:49:33 »

Offline redpill

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:52:21 »
You gonna fix that fail KL or just let it sit there

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 13:55:08 »
Just let it marinate...

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 June 2011, 14:09:42 »
You can hear it if you use this. And I am working... hard...

Keyboardless

Offline jnchin

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 09:17:12 »
Typing on my new filco at work right now!!! HOORAY=)  And I don't hear any thing as ringing.  I do hear pinging slighty but I think thats a function of the springs in the cherry.  And not enough for it to bother me.

Definately feels like butter.  I just wish I had a wrist pad now

Offline redpill

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 09:26:54 »
Congrats on your new board!  The browns are a pleasure to type on for sure.

Offline jpz

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 09:27:52 »
Now that we are talking about wrist rests has anyone tried this wrist rest?  I heard that the other wrist rests cut off the circulation to your hands making them feel like they are asleep.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline redpill

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 10:15:21 »
I use the 3M gel ones and they seem fine.  If your hands are falling asleep it's probably pretty bad typing posture, yo

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 13:40:54 »
Wow, finally watched that video. I put my ear next to my Linear R and did the same thing and heard the same ringing. Funny thing is I never noticed it until watching that video.

Still, when typing normally it's basically not noticeable, you shouldn't be pounding the keys like that. Blows my mind that you would foam up your keyboard to stop that instead of learning to type properly. Also..just toss it on some sound dampening foam or one of those extra large mousepads. Lord, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but this is insane.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline redpill

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 14:12:06 »
Quote from: Chobopants;364820
Still, when typing normally it's basically not noticeable, you shouldn't be pounding the keys like that. Blows my mind that you would foam up your keyboard to stop that instead of learning to type properly. Also..just toss it on some sound dampening foam or one of those extra large mousepads. Lord, I was giving you the benefit of the doubt but this is insane.

Well, getting OT here but on my board it was very loud with regular typing.  I'm happy that your linear red board didn't have the same problem, but please don't assume it was a minor issue on my board merely because it wasn't loud on yours.  I wouldn't have taken the foam step if it were minor.  It still might be insane using insulation foam on a keyboard, which I readily admit, however it was loud and annoying enough that something needed to be done.  Mousepads and other attempts at sound dampening were ineffectual.  I could have RMA'd it, but decided to try to fix the issue instead, and luckily I was able to reduce the ring.

Offline Chobopants

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 14:45:56 »
Quote from: redpill;364831
Well, getting OT here but on my board it was very loud with regular typing.  I'm happy that your linear red board didn't have the same problem, but please don't assume it was a minor issue on my board merely because it wasn't loud on yours.  I wouldn't have taken the foam step if it were minor.  It still might be insane using insulation foam on a keyboard, which I readily admit, however it was loud and annoying enough that something needed to be done.  Mousepads and other attempts at sound dampening were ineffectual.  I could have RMA'd it, but decided to try to fix the issue instead, and luckily I was able to reduce the ring.

It's your board to do what you may with it, so no problems there. I'm going to have to refute the claims of this pinging sound actually being a problem, however. :)

The right side of my board sounds JUST like yours does in the video. Hitting everything from the ] key and right sounds exactly the same. It's almost definitely something to do with the vibration of the mounting plate as the pitch gets higher and eventually the 'ping' goes away entirely once you get to the G key or so. Typing normally, though, I really have to strain to hear this 'ping' sound on anything except when I'm smashing the Backspace key.

Reds are 95% the same as browns, absolutely wont make a different if it was the springs vibrating. If anything, the small bump in browns would reduce the reverberation on the rebound. I have decently sensitive ears and find this noise not more than the tiniest of nitpicks and, if anything, add a little character to the board.

I realize that you probably have HYPER sensitive ears (or you're typing like a jackhammer) and it bothered you enough to bring your keyboard to hell and back but I really think this isn't the board and just something mostly in your head and there's a bit of FUD going on amplifying the concerns about it. When I think about someone buying a SteelSeries or a Meka or a Razer instead of a Filco because of "key wear" or "pinging" concerns I get very sad. :(
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline redpill

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:01:05 »
Quote from: Chobopants;364846
I'm going to have to refute the claims of this pinging sound actually being a problem, however.

Impossible for you to refute as you didn't hear the board in person, and you obviously have no idea what it was like because if you did you wouldn't be trying to say something so ridiculous.

The right side of my board sounds JUST like yours does in the video. Hitting everything from the ] key and right sounds exactly the same. It's almost definitely something to do with the vibration of the mounting plate as the pitch gets higher and eventually the 'ping' goes away entirely once you get to the G key or so. Typing normally, though, I really have to strain to hear this 'ping' sound on anything except when I'm smashing the Backspace key.

Apparently you're not understanding.  Perhaps you did not read the description of what was occurring.  My board would ring very noticeably regardless of which key was being hit, during normal typing, or even knocking on the desk next to the keyboard.  In the video I was trying to demonstrate the sound because all I had was a crappy iPhone mic.

Reds are 95% the same as browns, absolutely wont make a different if it was the springs vibrating. If anything, the small bump in browns would reduce the reverberation on the rebound. I have decently sensitive ears and find this noise not more than the tiniest of nitpicks and, if anything, add a little character to the board.

Not all boards with browns have the problem, you're making the false assumption that all boards are going to be the same, but that is not the case.  Some boards have the problem, some boards do not.  It's not consistent.

I realize that you probably have HYPER sensitive ears (or you're typing like a jackhammer) and it bothered you enough to bring your keyboard to hell and back but I really think this isn't the board and just something mostly in your head(

lol think what you like.  I'm not that sensitive.  The ****er was loud.  Dunno why you don't seem to understand that.  I didn't foam my keyboard for a minor issue.  I understand people like their Filcos and apparently take it personally when someone has an issue with one of them.  But it's really not appropriate to claim someone is making something up just because you love of your defect-free Filco red board.  I'm glad you don't have the issue, rock on.  Please don't try to claim the clear ringing my keyboard was making was soft or not noticeable, but that's just absurd.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 June 2011, 15:07:36 by redpill »