Author Topic: What is this place doing to me?  (Read 8215 times)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
What is this place doing to me?
« on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:11:44 »
Just ran some numbers, so far I've spent about $1000 on keyboards/keyboard related items since May 11th (when I bought my first Filco).

A grand. One large. In 40 days.

:jaw:

What. The. Hell.

This place is dangerous.

Offline Randallrocks

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:15:55 »
You seem to have low self control.

Just remember not to check out WoW.

Offline scribble

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:16:19 »
holy ****.... i need to get out of here fast then...
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Blue | PLU ML-87 Cherry MX Red

Offline morethanless

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:20:49 »
This is ridiculous. :crazy:
I just bought my Filco tenkeyless mx rex linear R (long name) [and still waiting to arrive]
and I already peer hard at a Topre Realforce because of its lovely sound and interesting force diagram. :wof:

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless LineaR
(Cherry MX Red)

Offline SecrtAgentMan

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:32:14 »
I went through 3 Das RMAs (don't ask) and then I ended up getting a MJ2 with red switches.

But $1k sheesh.

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:37:49 »
Quote from: scribble;363648
holy ****.... i need to get out of here fast then...

If your sig is true and you've already got one mech board, you're pretty much screwed, judging by other people on these forums.  I've got no mech board yet, because my parents aren't exactly approving of keyboards which cost $100+.  And my dad kinda hates ordering stuff from websites he's never heard of.  Despite this, I'm still addicted to researching keyboards and such.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

KEYBOARD:  Leopold FC200RC/AB with Cherry MX Blues
MOUSE:  Logitech G400

Geekhack:  A wiki is worth 1000 threads.

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:40:18 »
Quote from: Randallrocks;363647

I quit WoW because I got bored... I should probably get my head checked.  But seriously, I don't get what's so addictive about WoW.
Extensive research has found your statement to be of inferior quality.  Please revise it.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 19:44:09 »
I just need to buy 2 more keyboards - really!! Actually maybe 3. Still want that Model M SSK.
Keyboardless

Offline Surly73

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:00:19 »
I'm missing my oneness with cup rubber, I better get spending...

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:02:38 »
Quote from: Randallrocks;363647

Started WoW in October of last year. Shut down my account in April. Nowhere near as addicting as keyboards.

In my defense, I've always been addicted to computer peripherals.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:05:30 »
Quote from: ripster;363656
Audio equipment is worse.  Guitars are MUCH worse.

Amen, I don't even want to think about how much I've spent in audio recording / guitar equipment.

Offline Wallach

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:08:18 »
I feel you. I've gone through 3 keyboards in about 3 months trying to find something I really like. Now I'm picking up another Filco to give that a second chance (though even if I don't like it I'm getting those sweet Dolch doubleshot replicas).

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:08:52 »
I've spent about $1k too. I feel you.

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:09:49 »
Good thing my guitar days are behind me. Just have 1 crappy MIM Telecaster to fool around with when I'm in the mood.
Keyboardless

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:15:52 »
Yeah, good instruments cost even more than the most expensive keyboard ever.  My bass (the awesome kind, as in upright) cost 5grand, but was down to like 3grand with credit saved up at the store from rentals.  And that's a pretty noobish one...  Imagine Yo-Yo Ma's cello.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:17:34 »
Yeah... I've been not as extreme as you, but I also have spent more than I should have on keyboards since I discovered Geekhack. Before, I was mostly satisfied with my Cherry g80-3000. I did want something smaller and was searching and searching. Then I find that nice KBC Poker. Then It turns into an eternity of waiting and tired of blacks, so I buy a Leopold FCR200RT with browns. Then 2 different sets of keycaps... Now I'm eying some boards with Alps, 'cause I'm curious.
But then, it is nothing compared to my other keyboard obsession. I love vintage synths.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:17:52 »
Quote from: PlayerZero;363684
Yeah, good instruments cost even more than  the most  expensive keyboard ever.  My bass (the awesome kind, as in  upright) cost 5grand, but was down to like 3grand with credit saved up  at the store from rentals.

That's not that bad. My friend just spent 8K on her Double Bass, and 2K on her bow. :S
Last year I spent 10K on my new bassoon.
Of course, her and I are going to music university, so it's somewhat justified.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:26:10 »
As the owner of 3 basses (2 Warwicks and a Precision) and more amps than I'd like to admit, I've gotta say, keyboards have nothing on my music spending habits.

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:36:48 »
Quote from: daerid;363644
A grand. One large. In 40 days.

Wow! Nice work! That's pretty scary even by GH standards.

I know the curiosity to try every switch out there is immense, but you could have picked up a few used boards to soften the impact of the price bomb.

BTW, how do you like your Imperator? I quite like mine, but wish the plastics didn't make it feel so much like a toy.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:45:17 »
Keyboards are certainly not the priciest items you can spend money on, but as a percentage they vary an incredible amount ($25-$300...about 10 times the price from cheapies to deluxe). Not a lot of items have a percentage spread that great. It helps if the low end figure is really, really low.

I've spent thousands by now (I didn't need to, I estimated my mod requirements very poorly), but I'm in a contraction phase and hope to bring my cash out of pocket to a much lower figure. Then again, I have a Datahand and several Kinesis Contoureds...definitely at the higher price end of things. I've benefitted several ways on this keyboard journey the last 2 years (better typist, learn about different aspects, etc.)

Another upside is I don't have money for cocaine and hookers anymore.
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 20:59:49 »
I'd argue that most things out there have a much bigger price difference than a measly 10fold. Also, you forgot the Optimus Maxiums!
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:04:14 »
Quote from: ripster;363675
Keyboard and mice/trackballs are where your fingers spend the most time at the computer.

That's the way I've always looked at it. Plus, I'm a programmer. I consider it investing in my tools.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:06:38 »
Quote from: hyperlinked;363700
BTW, how do you like your Imperator? I quite like mine, but wish the plastics didn't make it feel so much like a toy.

Love it. Except for the exact thing you mentioned. It's probably my most least used mouse because of that reason. And that it randomly decides to stop working for a few seconds. I'm interested in the new version with the dual laser/optical sensor.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:16:59 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;363709
I'd argue that most things out there have a much bigger price difference than a measly 10fold. Also, you forgot the Optimus Maxiums!

I left out pricing a couple of the ultra top-end whoppers (Datahand, Optimus Maximus, wooden keyboards, Utrom, etc.) and mostly referred to what is actually "on the table" for purchases, less the novelty factor. The 99% of all keyboard purchases. If I didn't, it would be a 50fold increase!

As far as the 10fold...I didn't think about it too hard, but how many things can you put side by side that look the same, made from the same materials, do exactly the same thing, the same way with the same results with that type of price difference? Household lamps maybe. Definitely not tools. It's not a profound point I was trying to make, it just sort of struck me that's why many people don't understand why I like to use a $300 keyboard. Hell, I wish it only cost $25 :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:19:56 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline jpz

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 21:48:58 »
I guess i am a little bit different from you guys.  I am obsessive about researching for a component such as my keyboard and when i finally get it i am usually satisfied with it.  Then from then i on i usually keep up to date on the technology and the latest things to be released but it will take me a while to get another keyboard.  The thing that i am obsessed about now is computer monitors lol.  Since my 5+ year old tn 20" monitor is dieing i have been looking into the new e-ips monitors.
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 22:38:27 »
I would love to type on their keyboards.
Keyboardless

Offline jpz

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 19 June 2011, 22:47:55 »
Quote from: ripster;363742
I obsess on things until I become the #1 Expert On The Planet in that area.

I'm thinking of  The Davalos Twins as being my next hobby.
I commend you for it because you have achieved your goal.  Haha does the Davalos twins have their own forum?
AMD Black Edition-AMD Phenom II X6 3.2 GHz Processor, 4 GB ddr2 800, AMD Radeon HD 6950, CoolerMaster Storm Sniper case, 1Tb hard drive

Dell AT101W | Razer DeathAdder 3500 | SteelSeries QcK mini - Mouse pad | Logitech S510 | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent

Offline Ascaii

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:10:31 »
checked my numbers and ive got you beat..yay?!
But then, I've been at it since february.
"Mechanical keyboards are like pokemon:
you start with one, and then you wanna catch em all."

Offline redpill

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:22:02 »
Fine, but the real question is how much have you spent at home improvement stores because of your keyboard habit?

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline Tony

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:46:35 »

When I registered at Geekhack, I limited myself of having maximum 5 keyboards. Now I have to increase that limitation to ten.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:48:55 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 00:58:31 »
Quote from: daerid;363644
...so far I've spent about $1000 on keyboards/keyboard related items...

Sounds about right.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 02:21:48 »
I started in April.  So far, I spent over $2.1K on keyboards and related stuff.  My problem is I bought double or triple of the same thing.  One for home, one for work, one for backup.  The most expensive one is the IBM SSK NIB from ebay.  Keycaps add up too.  I definitely have a problem :)

What is worse than GeekHack is having a friend who also loves keyboards and can share shipping with you.  That totally encourages me to buy more.  There was a span of a few days last week that we didn't *not* buy something.  

It is still cheaper than my DSLR body though :)

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #32 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 02:29:34 »
Okay, that makes me feel a little better

Offline cactux

• Topre Knight
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 02:34:28 »
Quote from: daerid;363873
Okay, that makes me feel a little better

Is this some kind of group therapy ? :-B
[FS]☠ The temple lol ->HERE<-

Offline sordna

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 03:20:11 »
$1000 in 40 days? If it makes you feel better, I spent around $600 in one day, getting my 2 Kinesis Advantage LF's. Plus another $80 on various o-rings, dental bands, soft-landing pads, till I found what works best. No regrets however, the keyboards are amazing, I can't really see myself being nearly as productive with a regular, flat, staggered, outdated-layout keyboard, even if it's a Filco/HHKB/whatever.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2011, 03:56:22 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 03:24:15 »
o.O I'm jealous lol. If I was flashing the cash right now I'd probably be doing the same. Maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to get myself another keyboard. I'll have to see.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline nathanscribe

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 04:53:44 »
Quote from: lysol;363686
But then, it is nothing compared to my other keyboard obsession. I love vintage synths.

Join the club.  What you got?
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 05:25:24 »
I bought a cherry g80-3000 here in germany for 50€ and now I'll get a realforce for 250€ which will hopefully be the last keyboard!

Offline Lester

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 05:33:09 »
Lmao.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #39 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 05:39:38 »
Quote from: ~Blood~;363894
which will hopefully be the last keyboard!

Famous last words...

Offline hyperlinked

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:05:04 »
Quote from: daerid;363714
Love it. Except for the exact thing you mentioned. It's probably my most least used mouse because of that reason. And that it randomly decides to stop working for a few seconds. I'm interested in the new version with the dual laser/optical sensor.

Mine works flawlessly and it's my most comfortable mouse for the way I use the mouse. I also like having a lot of mouse buttons for quick shortcuts. There just aren't enough mice out there with seven easy to reach buttons.

I didn't realize there was a new version out and I just took a look and noticed that it has a rubberized thumb grip now. The lack of a rubberized thumb grip was actually my number one complaint. I'm not sure if that's enough to get me to buy the new version though.
-

Topre: Realforce 103U Cherry: Filco Majestouch 104 (Brown), Ione Scorpius M10 (Blue)
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M1391401 ALPS: Apple Extended Keyboard II (Cream), ABS M1 (Fukka/Black), MicroConnectors Flavored USB (Black)
Domes: Matias Optimizer, Kensington ComfortType, Microsoft Internet Keyboard
Scissors: Apple Full Sized Aluminum
Pointy Stuff: Razer Imperator, Razer Copperhead, DT225 Trackball, Apple Magic Mouse, Logitech MX1000, Apple Mighty Mouse
Systems: MacPro, MacBook Pro, ASUS eeePC netbook, Dell D600 laptop, a small cluster of Linux Web servers
Displays: Apple Cinema Display 30", Apple Cinema Display 23"
Ergo Devices: Zody Chair, Nightingale CXO, Somaform, Theraball, 3M AKT180LE Keyboard Tray

Offline MissileMike

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:07:00 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;363900
Famous last words...

I said that after I got my filcos...  50 keyboards later, I have finally slowed down and am starting to reduce my "collection".  So it does pass, somewhat.
BS: 5 Space Savers  ||  9 42H  ||  10 1391401 or similar  ||  1x 1390131  || AT&T 305b  ||  Dell Model M
Cherry: Leopold FC200RC/AB  ||  3 Ducky 1087  ||  PLU ML87 ||  Cherry G80-8113LUVEU-2  browns
Alps: Filco Zero Tenkeyless (fukka)  ||  ABS M1  ||  3x Dell AT101w  ||  Ancer KF-191  ||  6 Vivanco Compact
Misc: NMB RT6855T+  ||  NMB RT101 Space Invader  ||  Dell Quietkey  ||  Ge Fanuc Industrial Metal

Offline ~Blood~

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:14:18 »
Well, realforce is supposed to last 30 million clicks right? So if I click 1000 times a day, it will last 100 years.

I don't fall into the collector hole! Although I'd like a ISO model m spacesaver....NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:31:33 »
Let's see... I joined Geekhack in March of 2008, and bought the following since then:

EnduraPro black USB - $100
Scorpius M10 - $25 used
An Alps board - sold it for about as much as I paid for it
Fujitsu Peerless board - would've been about $2
IBM 7361073 - $91
PS/2 P70 keyboard - I want to say around $70?
6110345 and stuff to adapt it to USB - about $55

Huh. I'm actually not doing too badly.

Offline Tony

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:46:27 »

Luckilly I just spend 250 USD for my Filco plus three second hand mech keyboards. But I think I will buy more keyboards if I can afford it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 June 2011, 06:50:26 by Tony »
Keyboard: Filco MJ1 104 brown, Filco MJ2 87 brown, Compaq MX11800, Noppoo Choc Brown/Blue/Red, IBM Model M 1996, CMStorm Quickfire Rapid Black
Layout: Colemak experience, speed of 67wpm

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:08:19 »
Quote from: litster;363871
I started in April.  So far, I spent over $2.1K on keyboards and related stuff.  My problem is I bought double or triple of the same thing.  One for home, one for work, one for backup.  The most expensive one is the IBM SSK NIB from ebay.  Keycaps add up too.  I definitely have a problem :)

What is worse than GeekHack is having a friend who also loves keyboards and can share shipping with you.  That totally encourages me to buy more.  There was a span of a few days last week that we didn't *not* buy something.  

It is still cheaper than my DSLR body though :)

Lol, cameras are expensive, but it looks pretty badass when you walk in with a $50,000 lens on a $40,000 camera =)

Offline RC-1140

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:16:26 »
Hehe, I can understand that; I mean, I don't have a mechanical keyboard yet, but I feel already like wanting to have at least one board of any type. This is really addicting!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Unicomp 122-Key Terminal Emulator - IBM Model M 1394309 - IBM Model M 1394312 (Terminal) - Cherry G84-4100 - Cherry G80-1800 MX Black - Cherry G80-2551HAD (with a spare NIB)

Offline mmmty

• bang! bang!
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:21:50 »
I'm afraid to count. Buying a Deck Frost today.  :dizzy:
Keyboardless

Offline spitfire6000

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:26:40 »
I feel everyones pain here...I used to be a serious PC gamer and ever since I got my mechanical keyboard originally 3 weeks ago, I have been doing nothing on my PC except ranting on forums...not really because I want to rant, just because it feels so good to type on these things. It is the devil I tell ye!

Offline PlayerZero

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 20 June 2011, 08:31:47 »
Quote from: RC-1140;363936
Hehe, I can understand that; I mean, I don't have a mechanical keyboard yet, but I feel already like wanting to have at least one board of any type. This is really addicting!

Exactly how I feel.  I want one of everything, and more.