Author Topic: cherry modded death addler  (Read 43060 times)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
Re: cherry modded death addler
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 10:41:22 »
Yes, bottoming out sucks, even on keyboards.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 11:20:25 »
Waaaait, wouldn't the somewhat rare Cherry MX Greens be quite nice for a mod like this?
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 26 October 2012, 12:38:36 »
is the green a blue with a heavier spring? in any case i personally don't like cherry blues click.

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:20:23 »
There's also this mouse with a cherry mx blue thumb button:
http://www.leetgion.com/products.php

IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 17:51:57 »
That mouse would be 10x better without that thumb button. It gets in the way. More of a gimmick.
SmallFry! <3

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 18:37:25 »
That mouse would be 10x better without that thumb button. It gets in the way. More of a gimmick.

I don't think it gets in the way, the Corsair M60 is the same way, but yeah, it's a gimmick for me too.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 27 October 2012, 19:56:16 »
With the size of that one key. you could add 2 keys in a better position maybe even 3.
SmallFry! <3

Offline limmy

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 28 October 2012, 07:55:26 »
The Omron switches used in Razer or Logitech are made in China. Switches made in Japan works a lot better and feels lighter.

6883-0
Left China(D2FC-F-7N), Right Japan(D2F-01F)
source: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2861723

I modded Logitech G700 and Razer Mamba with Omron Japan switches and each mouse clicks at 50gf.
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2866243 - Actuation force of modded mouse is 50g
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2857366 - Logitech G700 mod
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/1152916 - Razer Mamba mod
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2861723 - Comparison between Omron mouse switch from China and Japan
(Warning: The above links are in Korean and it would take forever to download pics. If you interested, use Proxy http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4835717 or click on the file list at the top of each page)

I like the idea of using Cherry MX, but it seems like it is a lot of work. Why don't you try Omron Japan switches? You can order them in small quantity from Digikey or Mouser. The part number is D2F-01F.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 October 2012, 07:58:39 by limmy »

Offline hashish

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 15:44:56 »
This is an awesome mod. I was planning to do this to a dell bluetooth mouse I have.

I envisioned it a little different. Instead of removing the mouse button and replacing it with a keycap, i wanted the think to look stock. So I was going to remove material from the bottom housing so the mouse button had more travel distance.

Kudos on the design, now I know to use Cherry Reds for my build.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 30 October 2012, 16:04:43 »
if you want it more stock like, you would have to mount the switch on the plastic bottom rather than the pcb (depth issue i'm sure), and for that you might want to use hot glue, like the kind for arts and crafts (it's what i used and my mice still hold together well)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:46:42 »
Are extra wires required? How would it conect to the pcb?

At the Japanese Omrons hiw can we get those easily for a decent price?
SmallFry! <3

Offline hashish

« Reply #61 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:50:22 »
if you want it more stock like, you would have to mount the switch on the plastic bottom rather than the pcb (depth issue i'm sure), and for that you might want to use hot glue, like the kind for arts and crafts (it's what i used and my mice still hold together well)

I haven't taken apart my death adder yet because its still under warranty, but I did figure that travel would be a problem. After looking at some disassembly pics, the death adder may not be the best choice for a stock looking switch mod. I was hoping the PCB with the switches was mounted on the bottom of the housing and the mouse buttons had a long stem. Similar to traditional mouse designs.

I did take apart my dell bluetooth mouse last night, but there was too much going on in there for a mod the scroll wheel was in the way. I'm going to try to take apart a lenovo wired optical mouse I have. See what that looks like on the inside.
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:59:01 by hashish »

Offline modulor

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:59:23 »
The Omron switches used in Razer or Logitech are made in China. Switches made in Japan works a lot better and feels lighter.

(Attachment Link)
Left China(D2FC-F-7N), Right Japan(D2F-01F)
source: http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2861723

I modded Logitech G700 and Razer Mamba with Omron Japan switches and each mouse clicks at 50gf.
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2866243 - Actuation force of modded mouse is 50g
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2857366 - Logitech G700 mod
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/1152916 - Razer Mamba mod
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/2861723 - Comparison between Omron mouse switch from China and Japan
(Warning: The above links are in Korean and it would take forever to download pics. If you interested, use Proxy http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/4835717 or click on the file list at the top of each page)

I like the idea of using Cherry MX, but it seems like it is a lot of work. Why don't you try Omron Japan switches? You can order them in small quantity from Digikey or Mouser. The part number is D2F-01F.

Good info, limmy...duly noted! :D  I think it would be an interesting project to create a fully custom mouse that uses various MX switches (and your choice of sensor) but it does seem like quite a task to create.  However, I don't doubt the adventurousness of my fellow geekhackers!

There's also this mouse with a cherry mx blue thumb button:
http://www.leetgion.com/products.php

Show Image
Show Image

Cool looking design for sure!
« Last Edit: Wed, 31 October 2012, 11:05:36 by modulor »

Offline hashish

« Reply #63 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 11:24:10 »
Swapping the sensor would be a pain. I wish I didn't throw away all those mice from over the years. It would be nice to take some apart to see if I can do a custom switch mod. I guess in the mean time I will buy a decent soldering iron.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 17:52:13 »

just resolder 2 lead wires to the pcb from the switch, usually the micro switch has three connections, from what i can tell, the third connection is just there, or for stability, i don't know, sometimes all three are soldered to the pcb, sometimes just 2, to find out which ones i have to resolder, i just connect the mouse to the pc, and run a wire on all possible combinations, which is 4 and see which ones produces a click, i'm sure there's a better way like using a volt meter for some sort of ohm testing or something, but i'm an idiot with electronics, and that's how i found which ones to solder.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 19:06:42 »

just resolder 2 lead wires to the pcb from the switch, usually the micro switch has three connections, from what i can tell, the third connection is just there, or for stability, i don't know, sometimes all three are soldered to the pcb, sometimes just 2, to find out which ones i have to resolder, i just connect the mouse to the pc, and run a wire on all possible combinations, which is 4 and see which ones produces a click, i'm sure there's a better way like using a volt meter for some sort of ohm testing or something, but i'm an idiot with electronics, and that's how i found which ones to solder.

That is probably how I would do it sadly. I hate it when I have 3 wires one  thing and 2 on another...
SmallFry! <3

Offline Rinsaku

• lorem ipsum
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:00:06 »
Awesome job! I was just thinking the other day that they should have cherry mx mouses.. they've recently added them to arcade style fightsticks!
Current Boards : Apple m0116 (Salmon Alps), B.Face (Mx Clears), Filco Tkl (Mx Blues), HHKB Pro JP (Topre), Jd45 (78g Zealios), KBParadise v60 (Gateron Yellows), KBParadise v60 (Matias Quiet Click), Kbt Pure (Kailh Bronze), Leopold FC660M (Mx Browns), Minidox (Mod-H), Pok3r (62g Zealios)

Offline hashish

« Reply #67 on: Thu, 01 November 2012, 22:29:31 »
We should start a kickstarter thread. Create a Plate with the PCB, sensor, u-controller already built in. Create a multiple housing designs that can fit the universal plate/sensor combo for small, large, left, right, ambi, long, short designs. Then make them custom order based on the desired switch/switches.

Offline tcv

Re: Re: cherry modded death addler
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 05:59:32 »
Show Image

It's real, i just modded it, yea it's ugly i can't help but mod functional ugly things.

My finger started getting sore, guess i'm working too much, noticed it was my index finger, figured it must be the 70g of force that the mice have, decided to mod an old mouse i had and came up with this.
It's too smooth lol! i'm used to using so much force, but after a few mins i got used to it,

Now i gotta figure out how to do it to my current mouse
(death addler is nice but low dpi, currently i like a 2400 dpi setting)

The deathadder is too good of a mouse to give a make over like that...

Offline bear95

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 04 November 2012, 11:18:55 »
Is travel distance much of an issue?

Offline Lanx

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 00:16:56 »
Is travel distance much of an issue?
travel distance wouldn't be affected, it's just the switches, btw i don't test it out much since it has become my travel mouse (i have another modded cherry daily mouse).

Offline hashish

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 05 November 2012, 11:45:27 »
A backlit switch would be awesome!

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 November 2012, 06:24:21 »
By looking at that.. I think I would prefer my Sensei. lol
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline lyrill

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 21:01:35 »
wtf :) :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 21:03:44 »
wtf :) :)

Holy thread necromance batman

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 31 May 2013, 22:19:19 »
Happens all the time. :P
SmallFry! <3

Offline captinchikin

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 16:31:55 »
I've always wondered why no company has done this. Right where the clickers go, we get a nice cherry mx blue switch for L and R. Hopefully a real company would look...nicer...than this, but the functional aspect of it has always been one of my dreams.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 16:45:48 »
Whats with the random thread dredging all the time latley?
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline Rayne

• For Science!
« Reply #78 on: Sun, 09 June 2013, 20:34:08 »
wow, this is such an awesome idea! I have an extra Razer Abyssus i might try this with sometime

Offline velvetdon25

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 01:07:45 »
Mind taking a video of it and posting it on youtube?

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 15:50:59 »
Could you imagine the advantage of a jail-house blue switch on one of these mouse.

EPIC!!!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 15:56:06 »
Could you imagine the advantage of a jail-house blue switch on one of these mouse.

EPIC!!!

How do I stop myself cracking open a RAT 7

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 16:08:14 »
I never knew this existed, now to go destroy some old mice!

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 16:11:30 »
We should have a group project! I have been meaning to get mine done for a while but trying to figure out how to fit a cherry in my microsoft explorer 3.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 August 2013, 16:36:40 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 16 August 2013, 16:28:40 »
We should have a group project! I have been meaning to get mine done for a while but trying to figure out how to fit a cherry in my Logitech explorer 3.

I'm not very useful for the soldering or anything electrical but I will donate some blue switches and old mouse I have just laying around.

Offline melt

• check out my Instagram!
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 19 August 2013, 14:44:00 »
craziness, my friend... pure and simple craziness.  But, I wouldn't mind fumbling around with an older mouse trying to make something of the sort.  haha.  We shall see

Offline Lanx

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 20:38:42 »
i've done this to all the mice in the house, except for the mice that the wife uses, she think's it's weird, oh and extremely ugly.

Offline Glenn315

• Hey
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 10:21:25 »
I think that this is both funny and awesome. :)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 13:28:19 »
Cool mouse there! What type of cherry switch did you use on it?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

« Reply #89 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 00:58:48 »
i initially experimented with blues, cuz why not, then i did reds, but i kept on bottoming out like mad, so i needed the tactile (without blues) and tried ergo-clears... the clears after a while was actually way too tactile, since i used the left mouse button so frequently like most ppl, and have settled on using just regular browns.