Author Topic: Install a keyboard or a mouse, get 0wned...  (Read 2359 times)

Offline TacticalCoder

Install a keyboard or a mouse, get 0wned...
« on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 07:05:02 »
Quite a cool security hack here: by apparently using a Teensy controller hidden in a regular mouse (and sending the mouse as if it was a promotional gift to some employee) that then sent commands as if it was a keyboard, Windows machine got "admin'ed".

The article says it can works against any OS but I'm not really sure that it can find a way to escalate privileges on a correctly configured system (one where the regular user accounts do not have admin/root rights).

Still it's pretty scary: imagine someone putting this inside a highly-thought after mechanical keyboard, buy a keyboard on eBay with this thing hidden inside, plug it to your Windows system and goodbye, you've been 0wned (the things evades AV window warnings etc.) ; )

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/06/27/mission_impossible_mouse_attack

The picture of the mouse's guts looks pretty cool!
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline redpill

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 10:10:55 »
Wow, that's clever.  Like something you'd see in a Bourne movie or something.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 11:38:42 »
Even if it did require privilege escalation, all that would need is the standard admin rights dialog asking for permission for mouse_driver.exe. I bet 90% of regular non-techy users would ok it. They just plugged in a new device, it might need a driver. After all they are the same people that ok anti-virus 2010 to be installed from virus sites on the internet.

Offline redpill

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 14:09:20 »
So if a shady looking fellow in the alley outside your office building opens his trench coat and offers to sell you a nice mouse for cheap, say NO!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline HaveANiceDay

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 15:18:14 »
Quote from: redpill;369548
So if a shady looking fellow in the alley outside your office building opens his trench coat and offers to sell you a nice mouse for cheap, say NO!

I'll just laugh at his small penis.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline kps

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 15:35:37 »
Quote from: TacticalCoder;369361
The article says it can works against any OS but I'm not really sure that it can find a way to escalate privileges on a correctly configured system

Quote from: lysol;369468
Even if it did require privilege escalation, all that would need is the standard admin rights dialog asking for permission for mouse_driver.exe.

I think you missed the parts about "any OS" and "correctly configured". :caked:

Sending me a hacked mouse would do no good — it won't know my passwords. You'll need to send me a hacked KVM, with DVI support, please.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 28 June 2011, 17:29:09 »
I forget how to read sometimes.