Author Topic: New forum rules addition  (Read 25280 times)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
New forum rules addition
« on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 09:43:17 »
Polls that degrade/insult/etc individual or groups of GH members will NOT be allowed.  (troll polls bring the perfect example).

Polls that edify other members will still be allowed.  :)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
New forum rules addition
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 09:52:57 »
It works better if you don't talk about it.  It's human nature to be defensive, it's also human nature to believe the defensive person is completely at fault.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 10:09:41 »
Quote from: kalrykh;371192
I do hope you read that entire thread and saw that most of the degradation/insulting came not from the poll, but from one of the socalled victims :P

I think that people like you used to call "****head" other users w/o any provocation should just hope in a better education.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
New forum rules addition
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 10:41:14 »
I can't help but feel like I've been censored. That thread was epic and should not have been deleted. None of the other 3+ troll polls were deleted. It's not my fault Ripster went off the deep end.

Offline redpill

New forum rules addition
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 11:56:23 »
Ripster, seriously dude, get ahold of yourself.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline HaveANiceDay

New forum rules addition
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 11:58:49 »
I miss the GeekGirl avatar :(
Filco Tenkeyless Brown with beige cherry doubleshots (home)
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Wibox

New forum rules addition
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:09:15 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;371265
I miss the GeekGirl avatar :(

this
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:11:28 by Wibox »
!! YKBDS !! - KBC Poker (Ergo Clear Cherry) - Apple M0116 (Pink ALPS) - Apple M0115 (Orange ALPS) - Das Keyboard (Blue Cherry) - IBM Model F - IBM Model M - Dell AT101W (White ALPS) - Cherry POS 8000 (Clear Cherry) - Apple Extended II (Cream ALPS)

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:39:08 »
Quote from: kalrykh;371272
Thanks Solutor.  When I learn to speak Italian, I'll be sure to insult your use of it.

You already did it in English and for me is more than enough.

Politeness or rudeness are international things.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline RiGS

New forum rules addition
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:54:25 »
9. Creating demeaning polls. Any poll singling out members in a bad light will not be tolerated. "Troll Polls" are a perfect example. 10. Any ongoing actions that make more work for the moderators and administrators or regularly annoy other members and require moderator action. We have hundreds of forum members to serve and can't spend a disproportionate amount of time dealing with problems caused by any one member. If your membership is an ongoing detriment to our community then your membership may be terminated.

I do hope that the creator of that troll poll got warned.
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline wanabe

New forum rules addition
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:55:59 »
i'm glad to see mr. Imav get you children under control.  this is the internet, but it's his forum.  if you feel the need to express your freedom of speech, I encourage you to go start your own forum for that purpose.

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 12:58:25 »
Quote from: RiGS;371340
I do hope that the creator of that troll poll got warned.

Why? You're the true troll.

And no, I didn't. U mad?

There have been many troll polls here in the past. I'm getting singled out cuz Ripster threw a hissy fit. That's lame.

And from looking around the forum today, its clear that this new rule has not addressed the true issue of trolling, which my poll did.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:01:35 by keyboardlover »

Offline RiGS

New forum rules addition
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:02:13 »
No, I'm not. You're the one who take this personal.

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:07:14 »
Seems like Ripster took it more personal than anyone.

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:09:06 »
I'll be back later.

I have a sink I need to vomit into.

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 13:54:40 »
Isn't it ironic how those who rail against censorship are quite satisfied when it benefits them?

Or maybe "ironic" isn't the right word.

In any case, I never thought of GH as a democracy. I've been quite happy with it being an iMavocracy.
But an iMavAndRipsterocracy is something I never expected.

Something smells very bad at Geekhack today.

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 15:22:13 »
Could be...

...OR it could be the fact that iMav has made it fairly clear that you can troll here with impunity.

Offline HaveANiceDay

New forum rules addition
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 16:13:42 »
Some posters, like employees, are just more worth than others. I don't see a problem with it.
Ripster delivers content, who cares about the haters.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 16:14:46 »
The value of the content is questionable.

For more info, please see the Ping! poll.

Offline HaveANiceDay

New forum rules addition
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 16:17:01 »
The value is in the eyes of the beholder. I am happily accepting ripsters craziness(which is quite funny, for me at least) for his unique insight.
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
New forum rules addition
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 16:27:07 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;371511
The value is in the eyes of the beholder. I am happily accepting ripsters craziness(which is quite funny, for me at least) for his unique insight.

+1

Offline J888www

New forum rules addition
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 16:33:53 »
I have missed something, I am a stupid, slow, old, retarded Monkey.
 Am I breaking any rules when I just pooped on a GH member Monkey ?

I used to look forward to interjections from a certain evil duck before he took flight, something for amusement and not to be taken seriously. If one takes offense from others comments, then better lock yourself away from the World
Often outspoken, please forgive any cause for offense.
Thank you all in GH for reading.

Keyboards & Pointing Devices :-
[/FONT]One Too Many[/COLOR]

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 17:05:11 »
+1 for J888www

Offline RiGS

New forum rules addition
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 17:39:15 »
I don't know what's the big fuss here. Simply ripster got the bigger penis, or at least he enlarged his Johnson with that signature.
Let's move on!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2011, 17:42:02 by RiGS »

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 17:46:47 »
What is your hero Alex Jones' stance on censorship?

Offline sordna

New forum rules addition
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:21:11 »
None of this would happen if the folks who dislike ripster's posts simply put him on their ignore list. But noooo, they have to read every single post of his and comment on it too. I challenge you, just put him in your ignore list for a month, or permanently, if his posts bother you for whatever reason.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:29:00 »
If everyone does it, it will be like he doesn't exist.

Offline Chobopants

New forum rules addition
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:31:19 »
Ripsters wiki pages are the single most objective and useful source of keyboard knowledge on the Internet.

Honestly, all the random chatter that goes on in the forum is useless anyway and anyone half intelligent just figures out which keyboard to buy by reading the wiki instead of asking for advice.

I couldn't care less if he threadcrapped on every single thread in the forum as long as his crazy OCD about collecting keyboard science persists.

The day he turns his attention to cars or marbles of baseball cards will be a sad day for keyboards.

If you guys think his playful trolling is bad for the forum you really haven't been on the Internet long. This is the most civil and intelligent forum I've ever been a part of (until some people deciding to start this drama for god knows why).

Seriously, chill out.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline sordna

New forum rules addition
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:37:21 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;371578
If everyone does it, it will be like he doesn't exist.

Exactly. If you truly don't like his posts, that's what you should all be doing instead of constantly feeding him. You'll still be able to read his wikis, or include them in your sig ... good info on ripster's NKRO article I found in your sig by the way.

+1 for Chobopants.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:37:41 »
Defending Ripster means defending censorship and trolling. Ripster obviously controls this site.

Funny how all the defenders are noobs. Stick around a bit longer and get back to us.

Offline sordna

New forum rules addition
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:41:25 »
Best way to minimize trolling: use the ignore list and/or the "Report Post" button. DO NOT reply to posts you consider trolling in the public forum. It's like putting out the fire with gasoline. Nobody's man enough around here to use the ignore list? Just try it. AND NO PEEKING !!!

Offline RiGS

New forum rules addition
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 18:49:30 »
The funny thing is that you didn't cry when you got my posts censored, and now you are the defender of free speech.
What a hipocrate!

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 19:26:46 »
Explain how me censoring you is even possible.

Besides my thread was epic. Your posts are......n't.

ALSO I recall that your posts in that thread were derogatory and racist! I'm certainly not against deleting posts like that!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2011, 19:38:50 by keyboardlover »

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
New forum rules addition
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 20:28:39 »
Quick you guys! Look at this! Something that's actually IMPORTANT!!!

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19950[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 19952[/ATTACH]

I just got a new neighbor today, platinum blonde, great active body, and she throws it out there. My goal is to get a couple pics of her in a beachy outfit with a couple keyboards. Until then, try not to kill each other. Face it, there are people you will not like, for whatever reason. Move on.

BACK. TO. KEYBOARDS!!
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2011, 20:32:42 by input nirvana »
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 20:29:29 »
I...whidja...

Homglormglurrrrrrrr...

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
New forum rules addition
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 21:51:52 »
everyone! lets migrate to clickykeyboards.tk

runeazn will finally be happy
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline HaveANiceDay

New forum rules addition
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 01 July 2011, 23:20:07 »
I can't masturbate while ripsters new avatar stares at me.
GeekGirl never judged me, bring her back!
Realforce 86U (work)
Get you own Phantom NAO!

Offline Input Nirvana

New forum rules addition
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 00:49:54 »
DON'T READ THIS IF YOU ARE A SENSITIVE GIRLY-MAN-

I thankfully missed out on whatever funky kerflufel occurred, as it was none of my beeswax, but I would really be less than thrilled if there were any substantial personnel changes because of it. I've really enjoyed Geekhack, learned so much, and tried to offer and share whatever I can without crossing lines. Eventually when I'm done with most of my projects, I'm sure my time here will diminish, but I'll be available via email if there is anything that someone might need or want to ask. I've met some really great people here. (Interestingly, I'm making a fundamental change in business, and may have involvement in the keyboard industry.)

One item I've noticed is that the peeps that get into these silly squabbles, more or less dish out the same they get. It takes two to tango.

Another item, such as, I've never attacked, made fun of, or disparaged another member (unless attacked first, and it's only happened a few times in 2 years and 700 posts). It's point-blank wrong to do it, and those that choose to be that way are fairly worthless. On several occasions someone has felt the need to call me names or be very negative to me personally. Who knows why? I certainly don't open myself up for that type of criticism. Even if I did there is no reason for someone to offer unsolicited negativity. I lashed back at those people on the forum out of surprise and frustration (I can be an idiot too). This forum, like the local convenience store, your office, a park, or a party, has people that some find undesirable. That's life. The easiest thing to do is to not respond, ignore, avoid, and minimize whatever the aggravation point is. Easier said than done. Personally, the next time someone has some dig to take on me, I would prefer it done in person, so I could teach that ******* a lesson in manners by filling his mouth with sand as I kick the **** out of him and **** his girlfriend.

All I want here at Geekhack is the opportunity to experience and learn, meet people, make cool ****, have fun, and live the good life. Anything other than that falls into the "Off-Topic" forum which can be for anything else, it's a throwaway subforum so you can crap without leaving the site. My continued thanks to almost all of you that make Geekhack what it is, and to the rest of you...piss off!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  

Offline Input Nirvana

New forum rules addition
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 00:53:30 »
Quote from: HaveANiceDay;371728
I can't masturbate while ripsters new avatar stares at me.
GeekGirl never judged me, bring her back!

You can diddle your pickle to my avatar...as long as I'm not in the room.

woody

New forum rules addition
« Reply #38 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 04:58:14 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;371584
Defending Ripster means defending censorship and trolling. Ripster obviously controls this site.

Ripster also controls DeskThority. The horror!

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
New forum rules addition
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 06:37:33 »
@input nirvana:
Much the same here. I come here for the fun stuff, not for incurring yawning attacks. Signal rather than noise. Ideally the Geek-O-Meter should jump right to 10/10. (Gotta draw one of these. Speaking of drawing, the recent keyboard pixel art thread was a prime example.) Lame trolls and personal squabbles typically have it firmly stuck on 0 so you may be excused for thinking it's frozen. You can fish that kind of carp anywhere.

I wouldn't equal the OT forum to a trashcan though. It does have music discussion, which has got to count for something.

Anyway, general reminder: If people start beating on each other, they might just be taking things a wee bit too seriously. Last time I checked you couldn't get married to a forum yet.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #40 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 07:48:21 »
Hahaha

Looks like the only possible reply.

kalrykh did a perfect assist here.

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 07:56:45 »
I must admit that I had to think a moment to understand what latte means...  in English. :becky:

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #42 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 08:06:15 »
You are talking with the wrong Italian person: milk for me is like the holy water for a vampire, btw I can eat any kind of cheese yogurt, cream and so on

Offline litster

New forum rules addition
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:21:17 »
Then, there is something called Americano.  No milk.  Just a shot or two of espresso, plus hot water.  not bad.  But I make my latte with soy milk.

Offline The Solutor

New forum rules addition
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:27:16 »
I usually go for the "doppio" (double) two cup of espresso (we usually call it just coffee, because it's the default) in a larger cup and (optionally prepared with a bit of more water).

Offline litster

New forum rules addition
« Reply #45 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:35:03 »
I admire ripster for his foresight and the knowhow to save that deleted thread for future reference.  Besides wikis he contributes to the keyboard community, he also has his own private wiki collection.  :)

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
New forum rules addition
« Reply #46 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:53:09 »
Quote from: ripster;371888
Getting back on Topic.

I also saved some of the other better quotes from that thread on my clipboard.

I'm sure others did too. Why drag it on after iMav deleted the thread?

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:55:12 »
What I learned from this troll poll is that when Ripster says "jump" iMav asks "how high?"

Offline keyboardlover

New forum rules addition
« Reply #48 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 09:57:14 »
Seems like a troll post.

I didn't even include iMav in the poll like the last few. And yet mine got deleted.

All because of a giant baby who controls this site's moderator.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
New forum rules addition
« Reply #49 on: Sat, 02 July 2011, 10:22:03 »
Quote from: ripster;371911
For the record I never said that some keyboards don't ping louder than others.  I just doubted that it was a Ninja specific, a Gen2 specific, a Filco specific or even Cherry Brown MX specific issue.

That wasn't ever in question. You posted 126 times on that thread claiming the ping was a non-issue. The vendor accepts that there was an issue. Case closed.