Author Topic: L-shaped desks and desks in general  (Read 4315 times)

Offline AvengeR

L-shaped desks and desks in general
« on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 12:25:40 »
I'm thinking about buying a L-shaped desk for home so I can rest my elbow and arm over it, which is a pretty comfortable position for gaming.
Also I happen to have a huge mousepad and I'm very used to having the keyboard at the same height as my mouse, which could become uncomfortable if my arm and mousepad take that corner space.

has anyone tried that for everyday use? any other recomendation about desk types, materials, etc?

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:19:54 »
I prefer my 32" deep straight desk with LCD panels hanging off an arm and nothing but empty space for me to stick my KB wherever I want.  I generally type with my entire fore-arm resting on the desk (elbow to wrist).  This places my KB around the middle of that front to back space and keeps my posture nice since I have to sit up straight to not screw up my elbows.  Don't use a mouse so can't say how that would work out for you but there is plenty of space to either side of the KB for a mouse and pad.  It's a big desk :)

At work I have the same setup except that it is an equal-leg L with the deep angled corner panel, so the monitor sits deep in the corner and I have just as much room for my arms on the desktop.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Daniel Beaver

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2011, 13:47:19 »
We have L-shaped desks at work, and right now using the setup the OP described. I don't like it - the asymmetry of the setup is not ergonomic. You also have to remove or lower the armrests on your chair.

Home: Topre Realforce 87W45  /  Mionix Naos 3200
Work: Topre Realforce 87B  /  Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0

Offline Hydroid

• http://justin.tv/hydr0id
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 01:28:04 »
I've got a corner desk and the curved front surface ins't that nice, makes keyboard and mouse placement a massive pain.
Intel Core i7 870 @ 2.93GHz | Corsair H50 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Asus P7P55D-E Pro | Galaxy nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SLI
OCZ 60GB SSD | 2x 1TB Seagate Barracuda RAID-0 | Samsung Blu-Ray Burner | Corsair HX-850W | 2x BenQ G2420HD 24"

Leopold FC200R Tenkeyless Blue | Ducky DK9008(B) Blue | Qsenn DT-35 Black PS/2 Rubber Dome |2x Razer Lycosa USB | Microsoft 500 PS/2

Help me support and grow e-sports below!!!
What Happens in Starcraft -- Vlogs -- Twitter

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 06:16:57 »
By the time the desk is low enough for the keyboard, it may not make a particularly useful arm/wrist rest any more, or be too ideal for writing for that matter. That's why a number of people employ a keyboard tray mounted underneath the desk here. Only problem is that the desk may obscure part of the board from view, which isn't exactly ideal for sighted typists.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline khanable

• Keyboard Punk
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 July 2011, 06:57:56 »
L-desks are nice if you keep your rig to one side of the L and use the other side for other things

-or-

it isn't rounded along the 'bend' and instead is straight so you can put the rig in the middle.

I have a glass L-desk and it is doing me well. Pretty easy to clean with some windex and doesn't get scratched up like some other materials. Mousepads and keyboards do not move an inch on glass too, which is a benefit.

I couldn't imagine using the desk as an arm wrest.. just sounds like it would be a pain in the ass. Maybe a chair with nice arm wrests is better?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2011, 07:00:26 by khanable »

Offline redpill

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 10:59:32 »
I have an L desk at my office but there is an additional triangular piece where the two meet so I can put my keyboard on the diagonal and have the monitor at the back corner.  I'll rest my forearm on the desk when using my trackback, otherwise my elbows sit on the padded arm rests of my chair.  It works pretty well, but without that  extra triangle piece it would annoying.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline thp777

desk
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 14 July 2011, 11:16:05 »
previous home owner left this desk when they moved and i love it.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 20762[/ATTACH]