Author Topic: New Here  (Read 1215 times)

Offline bach0

New Here
« on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 12:20:26 »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking on the forums for about a month and registered 2 weeks ago. I didn't know about mechanical keyboards until some of the keys of my current Apple aluminium keyboard stopped working for no apparent reason. While searching keyboards on google I came across geekhack and I'm glad I did. :)

I will be building a PC in few months and moving from Mac to PC and I wanted to have mechanical keyboard to go along with it. I can't stand rubber domes. Apple's scissor switch keyboard served me well but I need something better.

I could not decide which switch to choose for a while, I'm not a hardcore FPS gamer nor a typist, keyboard will be mainly for general use (chats, forums, emails, etc.) and playing mmo games (waiting for SWTOR and GW2) and occasional BFBC2/TF2.

I dont think I will like blacks, they seem like rubber domes. I hate the feeling like typing on a carpet lol. Blues are making too much noise although unique and intriguing, I will probably endup hating after an hour. So it seemed brown switch is for me. I was thinking of getting Tesoro/Xarmor brown switch ones, as they looked shiney :P but unfortunately its hard to get in UK so I gave up hope of getting those.

All other keyboards looked so basic and hated the looks, but the Filco Ninja MJ2 Tenkeyless has grown on me and decided to get it. I'm used to @ being on 2 (Apple Keyboard :P) and the enter key is a bonus so going with ANSI instead of ISO layout.

But I'm still worried as I havent used any mechanical keyboard before, I do understand that switches are personal preference but still I would like to have your input. And the other thing worries me is the loud pinging. I hope Keyboardco's next batch wont have that problem.

PS. Sorry for the long post, I thought I would share a bit since its my first post.

Offline N8N

New Here
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 12:33:27 »
"what keyboard should I get" seems to be a common thread here... I just found this site quite recently and of course had the same question.  I'd been using Model Ms for years so I knew what kind of feel I liked already.  Really, the only way to know what kind of switch you'll like best is to try them, and then even so two keyboards with the same switch still may feel/sound different.  I've found that I prefer the heavier feel of clears to browns, but really, what is the "best" keyboard or switch is kind of a personal thing.  Some people like the linear switches; I can't stand them - doesn't make either one of us wrong.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline redpill

New Here
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 12:38:41 »
Quote from: bach0;376925
But I'm still worried as I havent used any mechanical keyboard before, I do understand that switches are personal preference but still I would like to have your input. And the other thing worries me is the loud pinging. I hope Keyboardco's next batch wont have that problem.

Well browns feel very light, especially on a plate mount, which is not a bad thing if that's what you're looking for.

In terms of abnormal pings/rings, just buy from a reputable seller with a decent return policy.  If you get a bad one you can always send it back.  And don't feel bullied into keeping it from people that are overly defensive of the brand.  Of course don't expect it to be completely silent either as it is a mechanical board with a bunch of springs and it is always going to make a bit of noise.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline The Solutor

New Here
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 12:46:38 »
Quote from: bach0;376925
I was thinking of getting Tesoro/Xarmor brown switch ones, as they looked shiney :P but unfortunately its hard to get in UK so I gave up hope of getting those.

You tought right

And getting them in UK is easier than you guessed.

http://www.corporate.qpad.se/modules/news/article.php?storyid=238

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-XM

My reviews

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?16928-Xamor-U9BL-S-It-s-finally-here!!!

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:19423
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 July 2011, 13:00:30 by The Solutor »
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline bach0

New Here
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 13:21:57 »
Quote from: ripster;376927
Welcome to Geekhack!

Check the Ping Poll here (the discussion pages are an excellent read as well).  The odds are good you won't have a problem.

I hope so, it wont bother me if it isnt audible unless you take key to your ear and listen for it.
Quote from: N8N;376930
"what keyboard should I get" seems to be a common thread here... I just found this site quite recently and of course had the same question.  I'd been using Model Ms for years so I knew what kind of feel I liked already.  Really, the only way to know what kind of switch you'll like best is to try them, and then even so two keyboards with the same switch still may feel/sound different.  I've found that I prefer the heavier feel of clears to browns, but really, what is the "best" keyboard or switch is kind of a personal thing.  Some people like the linear switches; I can't stand them - doesn't make either one of us wrong.

Thats what I thought, I would love try them all but I dont have the means to buy them all lol
Quote from: redpill;376931
Well browns feel very light, especially on a plate mount, which is not a bad thing if that's what you're looking for.

In terms of abnormal pings/rings, just buy from a reputable seller with a decent return policy.  If you get a bad one you can always send it back.  And don't feel bullied into keeping it from people that are overly defensive of the brand.  Of course don't expect it to be completely silent either as it is a mechanical board with a bunch of springs and it is always going to make a bit of noise.

I dont know if you guys used the aluminium apple keyboard (scissor switch) I really like the lightness of it, although they bottom out as all the rubber domes, however it's way easier to press the buttons compared to other traditional keyboards.
Quote from: The Solutor;376933
You tought right

And getting them in UK is easier than you guessed.

http://www.corporate.qpad.se/modules/news/article.php?storyid=238

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-000-XM

My reviews

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?16928-Xamor-U9BL-S-It-s-finally-here!!!

http://geekhack.org/showwiki.php?title=Island:19423

Thanks I knew Qpad but they come only with blue switches. And another reason that I dont understand is that why would the gaming accessory companies would go for only blue switches? that seems really weird.

I will check the reviews though, thanks again :)

Offline The Solutor

New Here
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 13:32:29 »
Quote from: bach0;376954

I will check the reviews though, thanks again :)

If you want linear switches Mionix Z60 should be available since yesterday
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline arc2

New Here
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 July 2011, 14:09:11 »
Quote from: The Solutor;376959
If you want linear switches Mionix Z60 should be available since yesterday

Not so sure if it's available yet in the UK, anything I have seen states 31st July.