Author Topic: Okay, so which Realforce to get? 86U or 104U?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline weipim

Okay, so which Realforce to get? 86U or 104U?
« on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 06:45:59 »
i think i'm kinda ready to jump to RF, but i dunno which one to get?

86U or 104U? tenkeyless to me is not decisive, I just want to know you guy's opinion.

and also, should i get variable weight or constant?

since I have an opportunity to get for less than 200 dollars brand new, not going to let it go lolll.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 08:55:02 »
I had the 104 black variable weight RealForce.  I ended up selling it and purchasing the 86 white variable weight in the ten keyless.  I like a light touch key and the lighter the better. I never tried the 55 wt. keys.  I do like the variable weighted keys.  As for the Tenkeyless, I originally purchased it for my work station at home where my keyboard shelf doesn't have room for a full sized keyboard and mouse so thus I purchased the tenkeyless. After using the tenkeyless versions in both my RealForce and Filco with reds, I actually prefer the more centered keyboard and also having the mouse closer.  I use a Filco full sized at work and it works for me but if I was to purchase all over again, I would purchase the tenkeyless version (that's if they were even available in the US).
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 09:05:01 »
I prefer tenkeyless BUT I did find the lack of a right win key on the 86u annoying. You notice it when you switch from/to other boards.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 10:11:26 by keyboardlover »

Offline redpill

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 09:51:30 »
I have multiple keyboards at home so I don't miss the keypad on my 87UB.  It has uniform 55g weighting and I'm very happy with it, but I haven't used a variable Realforce so I can't give you a comparison.  But I don't think I would want the keypresses to be much lighter than they are now.  The tenkeyless layout means my trackball is closer to the keyboard and I've really gotten used to that, it's nice.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline placebo guy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 10:03:38 »
I use a RF 104 w/ uniform 55g at work.  Very awesome keyboard, but I must say that after typing 30+ emails in a day; my pinkies start to feel like crap.  I recommend the 55g for light typing and heavy gaming.
Leopold TKL MXRed; RF 103U 55G; WASD MXBlack; Unicomp Spacesaver; AT101W; RK-9000 Blue; various Filco

Offline theferenc

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 10:38:31 »
Personally, I would go variable weighted 104. But I use the numpad a lot in the course of my work, and I don't like the idea of having to buy a separate numpad, especially since I prefer they match, meaning it would be another $150 or so, if I remember correctly.

I also am one of those people that is either using my mouse, or my keyboard, and very rarely at the same time. Basically, the only time is when I play dragon age (which was last played in march, I think). So centered keyboard or mouse doesn't mean much of anything in my case.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bdpq

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:36:03 »
86U seems to have a better resale value than 104U.  If you end up not liking it, you can always sell them here.  

So why not just get both?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
where the heck is green?

Offline theferenc

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:39:28 »
I love this forum. Only here can we suggest with a straight face that someone buy two keyboards that are each $250+.

"First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline bdpq

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 12:44:40 »
Quote from: weipim;377379

since I have an opportunity to get for less than 200 dollars brand new, not going to let it go lolll.

That's a really good price, even cheaper than the price in Japan.

(rolling drums) get both... get both...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
where the heck is green?

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:00:24 »
Quote from: weipim;377379

86U or 104U? tenkeyless to me is not decisive, I just want to know you guy's opinion.
and also, should i get variable weight or constant?

I mostly own tenkeyless version so you know which one I'm gonna recommend. lol

As for the weight, I've tried both but find uniform weight is more to my liking.

If you can get it new for less than 2 bills then go for it...  no need to ask anything else. =D
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:16:15 »
If you can get it new for under $200... can you do the same for somebody else? :D :D :D

Offline darkblader

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:20:50 »
i got the Realforce 103U-UW (got it for 200$) if i would choose i would go for the tenkeyless but it was out of my budget.
CPU : Intel Core i7 920 @ SNK-P0035AP4 | RAM : takeMS 12 Gb DDR3-1333 | GPU : AMD FirePro V4800 1Gb | MOBO : DFI LANparty JR X58-T3H6 | SSD1 : Crucial C300 64 Gb | SSD2 : Intel 320 120 Gb | HDD1 : Hitachi Deskstar 7K1000.C 1Tb | PSU : Scythe Stronger 500W[/COLOR]

Filco Majestouch 2 | Topre Realforce 103 U-UW | Deck 82 Ice | KBC Poker | Cherry G81-7000 | Sun Type 7 | Apple Keyboard (MB110D/B)
[/SIZE]

Offline Engine

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 July 2011, 13:48:01 »
It all boils down to what you "need/prefer".
I don't need a tenkeypad attatched to my board but prefer it!  But then again, I grew up with them and never heard of tenkeyless in my youth.  It appears that tenkeyless is the movement of today but then again, it depends on your needs too.  I don't game but like programming/surfing the net/email, etc.  I have more opportunity for using the tenkeypad and therefore want it.
Do you think you'll see tenkeyless boards at workplaces?  Most people do a little number crunching at home/work and it is just nice to have the tenkeypad right there.  And it's cost effective to get it attatched vs an extra keypad.  But what ever.  It's your decision only and it has to make you happy in the end.  
If you're truly unsure, then you could do what was suggested ang buy the tenkeyless first and see what you think and if not likely, then get some of your money back and get the 104.
Costs more that way but it is a paid for decision then that's a true one.  I did that with my boards and intend for a huge sale at some point, as I've decided on my choice.
How I would have loved to see a RF  and Cherry store to "try" before buy option.
Oh, on the uniform weight vs variable thing?  I would prefer the 55g weight personally but I "need" lighter weight, due to some RSI troubles.  I would love a uniform "45g" weight board but already have a variable weight 103 RF9white) and will be happy with that, since I paid for that first.
Again, need vs want.
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2011, 14:02:07 by Engine »
In order of purchase:
Unicomp Space Saver(Black) - Topre Realforce 103U-UW -   Topre Realforce 103UB - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Blue - Leopold Tenkeyless MX Brown - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Blue - Filco Majestouch 2 MX Brown

Offline jayfinger

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 00:07:38 »
Quote from: theferenc;377524

"First rule in government spending: why build one when you can have two at twice the price?"

That was the best line in the movie! LOL

Offline hemflit

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 11 July 2011, 15:44:18 »
I'm using an 86U plugged into an Ubuntu box; the left Windows key is my workspace-switcher, and I don't miss the right one. My daily routine calls for a very small amount of straight entering of digits. I don't ever want to see a numpad again in my life. The one thing I possibly miss a tiny bit is slamming the num-enter with my thumb while my hand is on the mouse.

If I ever start using a keyboard for some weird control task, like (I imagine) video editing, or some ingenious new computer game, where having a proper one-hand matrix of keys could actually be handy, I might change my mind. But I doubt it.

If you don't typically enter a lot of digits (or plusses, minuses etc.) and you do use a mouse with your right hand, it would be silly to not try something tenkeyless. Though a $200 "try" may not be the optimal experiment :).

Offline bdpq

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 July 2011, 01:21:52 »
I actually quite like realforce's approach of 10-key on their 87U, 789 stays at the same place and your index finger (J) would rest on 1.  took me some time to get used to it but I now like it A LOT!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
where the heck is green?