Author Topic: Sooo dissapoint  (Read 14851 times)

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:26:35 »
Quote from: woody;406945
If you seriously compare MX browns with RD/scissors,

Some RD and scissor boards aren't just better than a brown switch are hugely better, bad for you if you haven't tried one.

then typing is not the primary objective you seek in a keyboard

:pound:

What is not my main purpose is to blindly buy what some talibans are saying, for me a good keyboard is a good keyboard whatever is the technology under the hood, but looks like that only fanboys are well accepted by people like you.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:34:16 »
If you want a good RD, go for it. The majority of switches here are ones that you don't have to bottom out on to get actuation, or ones where the tactile bump actually coincides with the actuation. That's the major advantage of mechanical switches, you should know this. Go use an RD board or scissor board, but those are heavier than most cherry boards, and the effort on RDs is higher.
If you want to make remarks about how your opinion isn't Ghandi's, go to the off-topic board, not here where people are looking for help. It's not hard to say things that are unrelated and insulting, it seems to be hard for you to give advice without also insulting though. Everywhere you post, you're against everybody else's choices, which is totally alright, but don't go along flaming mechanicals on what is a mechanical keyboard forum, because nobody will care or listen. You live in Italy, correct? Of course the price will seem steep by Italian standards, hey, I'm Romanian, and any Romanian I tell I bought a $120 keyboard will think I'm crazy, but I can afford it. The same with Topre people. If they like it, and have the money, why is it my (or yours, because you're the one going on about how mechanicals are overpiced) business if they bought it and spent $400?

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:44:24 »
Do you have chamomile in Romania ?

You should try it.

but don't go along flaming mechanicals on what is a mechanical keyboard forum

The only one that are flaming here are you, and no this is not a mechanical keyboard forum, at least this is what is written on the forum's title.
The problem with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are true  (Abraham Lincoln)

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 13:52:51 »
I live in Canada, thanks. :P
Okay, not only mechanicals, but mostly. How many threads do you see about Rubber Domes? How many times have you seen a rubber dome board sell as quickly as a mechanical in the classifieds.

I'm not flaming, I haven't insulted you once this whole thread. I've stated my opinion, as opposed to you calling us talibans, telling us the word of the day is "brain," suggesting I try chamomile. That's in a few of yours. Disagreeing is fine, being rude is another.

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 14:59:03 »
Quote from: Arcanius;406975
I live in Canada, thanks. :P
How many times have you seen a rubber dome board sell as quickly as a mechanical in the classifieds.

And this means what ?

Btw we aren't discussing about mechanicals here we are discussing about MX browns, do you remember ?

So whats the point in shifting the discussion to a stupid mechanical vs ROW ?

I haven't insulted you once this whole thread.

Flaming doesn't imply insulting

I've stated my opinion, as opposed to you calling us talibans

Us ? :twitch:

I call talibans the talibans, the integralists, call them whatever you like. If you feel you are part of that category...

telling us the word of the day is "brain," suggesting I try chamomile.

Never heard anything about irony, jokes and so on ?

I replied to Ripster that at least (sometime) has a bit of sense of humor, where's the problem ? and why you feel involved ?

woody

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 15:27:14 »
Quote from: The Solutor;406954
Some RD and scissor boards aren't just better than a brown switch are hugely better, bad for you if you haven't tried one.
When RDs start actuating halfway on travel we can also start talking about proper tactility. Until then you're just a raving lunatic.
And, yes, MX brown is good all-around switch.

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 15:42:44 »
Quote from: woody;407027
When RDs start actuating halfway on travel we can also start talking about proper tactility.

What has to do the tactility with the actuation point ?

A brown switch has crap tactility and actuates halfway, an Olivetti board has an awesome tactility and actuates at the bottom, an XM switch has a decent tactility and actuates at the beginning.....

And btw the actuation point placed halfway is more a side effect than a pro, call it with a neutral "feature" if you want, but surely is not an advantage.

Do you remember where is the actuation point on the mechanical typewriters ?

Offline N8N

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 16:05:36 »
Quote from: The Solutor;407037
And btw the actuation point placed halfway is more a side effect than a pro, call it with a neutral "feature" if you want, but surely is not an advantage.

At least for me personally, that is a huge advantage and the main appeal of the mechanical-switch keyboards.  It's why I fondly remember using Model M's back in the day; why I searched a couple out and used them at home, and why I eventually found my way to this forum, in an attempt to find an open-office-friendly keyboard that would maintain the features that I found so appealing about the M but without the clacketiness.

My theory is that I started to develop fatigue in my hands after typing on a RD keyboard all day due to having to bottom out the keys to get them to register.  Since I've been typing on Cherry switch based boards, my hands feel much better.  I attribute that to the actuation point not being at the bottom of the travel, and to a lesser extent the tactile point roughly corresponding to the actuation point.

Now that's just for me personally, but for me, a board can be as tactile and wonderful feeling as it can get, but if I bottom out when typing, I don't like it.  It's why I don't like RDs - because I have to bottom out - and it's also why I don't like Alps - because I may not have to bottom out, but I end up doing it anyway, because the force required to actuate the switch is just about the same force that will send the key to the bottom.

And no, I'm not a HUGE fan of browns, although I think that if I gave myself enough adjustment period, I could get used to the ones on the Noppoo Choc Pro.  For reasons I can't explain, they're the most tactile browns I've typed on (several used Cherry boards and a Filco being my other experiences with them.)  I do like the clears, probably because I've become used to a heavier switch.  I also like blues and ergo clears because they feel more tactile to me than browns, although the noise of the blues becomes a little annoying after a while.
Filco Majestouch-2 with Cherry Corp. doubleshot keys - Leopold Tenkeyless Tactile Force with Wyse doubleshots - Silicon Graphics 9500900 - WASD V1 - IBM Model M 52G9658 - Noppoo Choc Pro with Cherry lasered PBT keycaps - Wyse 900866-01 - Cherry G80-8200LPBUS/07 - Dell AT101W - several Cherry G81s (future doubleshot donors) (order of current preference) (dang I have too many keyboards, I really only need two)

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 16:50:51 »
Quote from: N8N;407050
At least for me personally, that is a huge advantage and the main appeal of the mechanical-switch keyboards.

This is your respectable opinion. and perhaps I haven't told that I don't agree with this preference. What I said is that isn't written anywhere that bottoming out is bad, is matter of personal preferences and personal habits.

You started with model M and you feel natural the halfway activation, I've started with the Ti99, ZX spectrum, QL, Envision, and the Olivetti boards and all of them actuate at the bottom.

Ther's no right or wrong behavior here, there's a personal preference, that's the point.

Offline Chobopants

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 20:39:51 »
Quote from: The Solutor;407068
This is your respectable opinion. and perhaps I haven't told that I don't agree with this preference. What I said is that isn't written anywhere that bottoming out is bad, is matter of personal preferences and personal habits.

You started with model M and you feel natural the halfway activation, I've started with the Ti99, ZX spectrum, QL, Envision, and the Olivetti boards and all of them actuate at the bottom.

Ther's no right or wrong behavior here, there's a personal preference, that's the point.

Whereas you started with:

Funnily enough browns are suggested by everyone to the newbies, and are at the same time the worst kind of cherry switches, likely the worst kind of any mechanical keyboard.

And my preference is that cherry browns are the perfect middle of the road switch. Hell, it's what I use 90% of the time at home here and I have a perfectly good Realforce sitting right next to me (which I also love but for totally different reasons).

You should really go through the thread and read what you say. On one hand you make basically flame everyone and then you just say "oh it's all preference who cares." Seriously, I fear you're bipolar or something.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline jpc

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 21:05:22 »
Cherry browns are pretty great! They're cheaper than (also great) topres. They're smoother than most ALPS. They won't make your fingers fall off like 80g buckling springs.

Browns have just enough tactility to orient you, not too much. They work well if you touch type with small muscle movements. If you hunt and peck with your triceps, you'll bottom out on browns. That's not the switches' fault.

EDIT. My complaint about browns is that Cherry Corp. builds them into very few Cherry-branded keyboards. What's that about?
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 August 2011, 21:11:38 by jpc »

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 22:07:13 »
Quote from: Chobopants;407149

And my preference is that cherry browns are the perfect middle of the road switch.

Middle of the road are the ergo clears

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #62 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 22:11:07 »
Quote from: jpc;407154

Browns have just enough tactility to orient you, not too much. They work well if you touch type with small muscle movements. If you hunt and peck with your triceps, you'll bottom out on browns. That's not the switches' fault.

Is technology that must serve the humans, not viceversa.

If you have to force yourself to type in an unnatural way that technology is just wrong.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 29 August 2011, 23:19:10 »
That implies that all humans are alike and absolute, with no flexibility. This is why we have preferences. I like lighter switches, my next door neighbor, Bob, doesn't. But I can and will type on heavy switches because my body WILL adapt to it.

Offline kwantz

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 00:55:19 »
well update, as the days go on with this keepboard i am starting to like it more and more, I am naturally starting to type less hard.  Still bottoming out but no where near as bad as I was at first. I say im like 90% there though as compared to typing on my island style mech.  I give her another week and hopefully Iw ill be typing a lot better on this leopold than on my laptop. If I were to replace the keys on my stock leopold, would it make the bottoming out less noticeable? or just does it make it a deeper thud or clack???

Offline Magna224

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 01:00:54 »
You should try to pick up some cheap ALPS board somewhere just to try it. You could be missing out on your favorite switch if you never try.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Arcanius

• Buckling Spring Lover
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 02:50:18 »
Different keycpas will change the pitch more than the volume. For volume reduction, o-rings or soft-landing pads would be best!
Glad to hear you're adjusting!

Offline Finax

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 04:17:07 »
I had the same issue. When I got my Browns I wasn't blown away like I thought I would be. They were louder than I thought and dull. I don't mind the sound so I replaced it with Blues. I'm much happier with these switches.

The noise isn't nearly as loud as some would say. I got used to not bottoming out quickly on the blues because of the click.

Also, my keyboard did ring/ping. That sucked.

Offline jpc

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 07:33:58 »
Quote from: jpc;407154

Quote from: The Solutor;407179
Is technology that must serve the humans, not viceversa.

If you have to force yourself to type in an unnatural way that technology is just wrong.

Hunt and peck is bad for you. It's how I learned to type, with no instruction, at age 5. It's inherently high impact, regardless of switch, it'll make your hands fall off after a few decades. There are better ways.

Colemak layout, touch typing, ergo form factor, and light switches -- this is how I'm beating RSI, with low impact typing. Cherry browns work great here.

RSI prevention recipe:[/B] Kinesis Contoured, Colemak layout, touch typing, Contour Design Rollermouse,  Logitech TrackMan Wheel, Logitech m570 trackball, "workrave" break timer software, "awesome" window manager, tenkeyless boards, cherry browns, Wang 724 with "ghetto green" ALPS, standing desk and/or comfy adjustable chairs, stress reduction, computer time reduction.

Fun non-ergonomic things: bolt modded Model M Space Saving Keyboards with new springs, Kensington Expert Mouse v7, Unicomp Endurapro, Northgates

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:04:13 »
Hunt and peck is bad for you. It's how I learned to type, with no instruction, at age 5. It's inherently high impact, regardless of switch, it'll make your hands fall off after a few decades. There are better ways.

There's always a better way, in any human activity, but given the limited resource and time everyone choose his priorities.

I learned to type when I was 6 year old, and I learned on a mechanical typewriter, so I like a good tactility and I'm more used to the activation at bottom, although I don't dislike the activation halfway and i like a lot the activation on top like on the XM switches.

Colemak layout, touch typing, ergo form factor, and light switches -- this is how I'm beating RSI, with low impact typing. Cherry browns work great here.

Have you tried blues, ergo clears or reds ? Are you comparing the brown switches with other kind of cherry switches or it's meant as  generic comparison between mechanical and rubber dome ?

Offline RiGS

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:13:23 »
Why are you keep recommending ergo clears. Half of the geekhackers who tried that mod complains about sticking switches. I would never recommend a mod with such a high failure rate...
Last edited by RiGS; Jan 2011

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:15:11 »
Half? I recall like 2 complaints about that. I've experienced it. It's sporadic and the switches typically right themselves in a second.

Offline RiGS

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:30:01 »
I read dozens of complaints about that. Maybe you just decided to ignore them because you are a fanboy.

Offline redpill

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:41:35 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;407315
Half? I recall like 2 complaints about that. I've experienced it. It's sporadic and the switches typically right themselves in a second.

You should start a custom switch service KL, where people ship you their board, you desolder all the switches, replace the springs, and resolder them again before sending it back.  For reasonable compensation, of course.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:43:34 »
Quote from: RiGS;407313
Why are you keep recommending ergo clears.

Because is the best cherry MX switch.

Simple as that.

Offline RiGS

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:48:26 »
Man up. Cherry black is the best.
Of course the switch poll indicates otherwise.

Offline RiGS

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:50:35 »
Also If you quote someone do it right!

Quote from: RiGS;407313
Why are you keep recommending ergo clears. Half of the geekhackers who tried that mod complains about sticking switches. I would never recommend a mod with such a high failure rate...

Offline The Solutor

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 08:56:56 »
Quote from: RiGS;407340

If the pols have to indicate something right we will never had  Bush,  Berlusconi, Hitler or Mussolini.

Also If you quote someone do it right!

I think is more a placebo effect than a real problem, I don't have any sticking switches aside of a couple of defective ones quickly replaced before star to use the keyboard.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2011, 09:04:42 by The Solutor »

Offline redpill

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 09:02:47 »
Quote from: RiGS;407340

Most of the people in the switch polls probably vote for what they have regardless of whether they've tried any other switches or not.  But I find cherry blacks too stiff personally.  And (plate mounted) browns feel too light.  I haven't tried blues yet but want to.  If only they made more White Duckys!

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline jpc

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 10:22:18 »
Quote from: The Solutor;407311
There's always a better way, in any human activity, but given the limited resource and time everyone choose his priorities.

Have you tried blues, ergo clears or reds ? Are you comparing the brown switches with other kind of cherry switches or it's meant as  generic comparison between mechanical and rubber dome ?

Yes, everyone chooses their priorities. Pain was threatening my career, so I learned to type a better way.

I've tried various ALPS, buckling springs, cherry browns, and variable topres. Browns and topres are the most comfortable among those, I like the actuation force below 50g and the subtle tactility.

Reds and blues must be nice too, but I've not tried them.

woody

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 10:31:38 »
Quote from: jpc;407406
Be sure to give blues a try, even just for the curiosity. I know where you come from, so it's more than a general advice. Even if the effect on your RSI is unknown, you will love the tactility.

Offline Chobopants

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 11:04:29 »
If you like Browns you might love Reds! For RSI gentleness especially they do a great job. The slight tactility of Browns edge them out for gaming for me but for pure typing I love Reds very much!

Blues are...interesting. I like em...no plans on selling the board (in fact I just ordered new keys for it), but that board gets the least amount of use for me. Dunno. They're good, though, and I can see how people can love them.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline nhwhaup

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 18:01:44 »

I'm glad you like the Realforce. If you get a chance, try the reds. They are the only switch I can type on non-stop with no hand fatigue or pain.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline kohtachi

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 12:13:37 »
I got the filco 45 gram browns and found that my fingers started to hurt after long game play. But, on the topre 55 gram my fingers did not hurt. Maybe I'm bottoming out on the filco browns. And the tactical feel? hardly felt it. Waiting on the leopod 45gram reds, hoping that would feel better.
FC500RC modded with mod-m switches, PBT Double Shot Keycap Set - Gray/Dark Gray (Tai-Hao), and 008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer mod  | REALFORCE R2 PFU Limited Edition  R2TLSABK 45g

Offline redpill

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 12:58:45 »
Quote from: kohtachi;408135
I got the filco 45 gram browns and found that my fingers started to hurt after long game play. But, on the topre 55 gram my fingers did not hurt. Maybe I'm bottoming out on the filco browns. And the tactical feel? hardly felt it. Waiting on the leopod 45gram reds, hoping that would feel better.

I think you are correct.  Your fatigue on the browns likely comes from bottoming out.  On the Topre you have this luscious cup rubber underneath that makes for a soft landing even if you do bottom out.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 13:13:01 »
Quote from: RiGS;407328
I read dozens of complaints about that. Maybe you just decided to ignore them because you are a fanboy.

Nope. Never saw them.

Dozens? Prove it.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 16:22:12 »
Quote from: The Solutor;406793
Funnily enough browns are suggested by everyone to the newbies, and are at the same time the worst kind of cherry switches, likely the worst kind of any mechanical keyboard.
I'm typing this on brown Cherry switches so, of course, I don't understand. Why brown cherries?  I'd think, if you were going after cherry as the "worst", you go with either red or black.  Brown makes no sense at all.  Very light and tactile and I don't think I type faster on anything else I've touched, but just maybe Alps.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline sordna

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 16:40:24 »
Even though I'm coming from a completely different point of view than the Solutor (who doesn't like linear switches) I too found browns the worst Cherry MX switch for my taste. I like the smoothness of reds and black switches, I appreciate the tactility of blues, but browns??? They are just gritty to me. Not tactile enough to tell if you actuated them or not when you type fast, and an unpleasant feeling of friction when you type slow. I've used browns for years and never got to like them... the Kinesis Advantage with reds was a phenomenal improvement for me over the regular one with browns.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 October 2011, 16:43:48 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline HaiiYaa

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 16:46:45 »
The soluter as we know him. He doesn't know the meaning of the word preference

Offline Lanx

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 16:59:58 »
and i'm the opposite of sordna, i like the most tactile available so that's clears, and i turn off the speaker on the kinesis (since we both use the kinesis now, i view it as two opposing ends).

Offline sordna

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 17:03:40 »
Quote from: Lanx;429772
and i'm the opposite of sordna, i like the most tactile available so that's clears, and i turn off the speaker on the kinesis (since we both use the kinesis now, i view it as two opposing ends).

Actually, I like tactile switches (as well as linears), I like mx blues and buckling springs... it's the browns I don't like.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 17:36:40 »
That's good input peoples!  I didn't realize there was a contingent out there who actually disliked brown switches.  Obviously I don't understand why you don't like them, because I love them!  

Thank you!
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline Urglifast

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 17:38:41 »
Quote from: ashort;429786
That's good input peoples!  I didn't realize there was a contingent out there who actually disliked brown switches.  Obviously I don't understand why you don't like them, because I love them!  

Thank you!

seconded.  i type on Blues at work and i'm actually growing to dislike them more and more.  my keyboard with browns feels more natural to me.

Offline enoy21

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 17:58:47 »
But it if pings you think it's just a breaking in period right ?  

Ironically my Wyse 60 pings like a mofo and it's like 20 yrs of broken in.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 19:20:24 »
wouldn't know.  The only keyboard I've had that I've observed a ping-like-effect in was my Matias Tactile Pro.  And I may be assuming ping because it just makes so MUCH racket.
Andrew

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 19:21:42 »
Like many have said, just give it a while. maybe a week or two. You will cringe when you go back to your laptop keyboard

Offline Lanx

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 19:23:39 »
Quote from: sordna;429774
Actually, I like tactile switches (as well as linears), I like mx blues and buckling springs... it's the browns I don't like.
i was trying to make a cool point! (but who doesn't love BS, they are my fav switches too).

Offline Magna224

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 12 October 2011, 20:18:24 »
Browns aren't bad by any means they are just no fun. =P
To me mechanical has to have that sharp click and that snappy feel you get from clicky ALPS/MX Blue and such.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline nhwhaup

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 05:10:27 »
Yes, everyone chooses their priorities. Pain was threatening my career, so I learned to type a better way.

I've tried various ALPS, buckling springs, cherry browns, and variable topres. Browns and topres are the most comfortable among those, I like the actuation force below 50g and the subtle tactility.

jpc - I'm the one that you purchased the variable Realforce from.  I'm glad to hear you like it.  Due to your RSI, I highly recommend you try the MX reds.  I like a light switch and I really feel they are the best out there for me.  I also will tend to have some wrist pain when typing a lot all day and if I'm also working into the evening.  The reds work the best for me overall.  I like the quiet typing and if you really want complete silence, you can use the sound dampening pads. The touch is really so light and I find myself barely touching the keys and just gliding over them.  I have both both the full sized Filco and Tenkeyless and also the Poker with reds.  I like the Poker without any sound dampening as the keys against the plastic plate is really a nice sound/feel in itself when I do bottom out.

Seriously you should try the reds when you get a chance - I think you will really like them and they definitely won't play into any RSI issues.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline duncan

Sooo dissapoint
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 13 October 2011, 06:37:23 »
Quote from: Magna224;429854
Browns aren't bad by any means they are just no fun.
+1

Browns are trying to be the medium choice that offends no-one and in the process fail to have any strong features so they fail to have a strong character to force a love it / hate it reaction.

The fun starts when you start to make choices that have strong features (very light /  very heavy / very loud / whatever) and in that lack of compromise comes true character and provides something to react to and/or against.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds