Author Topic: Best keyboard cord placement  (Read 1879 times)

Offline hyperq

Best keyboard cord placement
« on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 09:50:26 »
While I love my Filco, I am displeased by its centered cord placement.  I would like to put the keyboard flush against the base of my Dell U2311H monitor, but I could't do that because of the damn cord in the center of the keyboard.

Leopold's cord channels lead the cord all the way to the side.  I don't like that either.  I want the cord off-centered and go straight to the back, not to the side.

When I saw the upcoming Rosewill keyboard with brown/black/red switches, I was delighted to see that the cord is now moved to the side.  Not only that, the cord is also removable, as it is just a USB to mini-USB cable.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25872[/ATTACH]

So far, the reviews have been positive for the RK-9000 with blue switches.  If the RK-9000BR (brown) stays below $100, the buying decision just becomes whole a lot simpler.  The decision would be even simpler if they could remove that fugly logo.
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.

Online Findecanor

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 10:34:23 »
Does the Leopold not have a channel for the cable on the underside so that you have the choice of it emerging to the left, to the right or in the centre? I don't have a Leopold (I need ISO!), but I remember having seen pictures.
🍉

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 10:41:49 »
Best cord placement seems highly situational. It would seem to me that the cord channel on the Leopold would be the most useful because it has 3 default options. Even in your case with the cord emerging from the top not being flush, at least it's just the cord and is flexible unlike the head of the USB cable; someone who had something near where the connection on that Rosewill is would have a much harder time dealing with it, though it's less likely that you'd have something in that position to be sure. If you were the modding type you could cut/melt out additional exit channels from the Leopold's channel along the top possibly.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline hyperq

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 September 2011, 22:22:09 »
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 25962[/ATTACH]
See the problem with centered cord placement?  I can't lay the keyboard flush against the base of the monitor.  I am sure I am not the only one with this problem.

Leopold's cord channels can lead the cord all the way to either side.  I don't like that either, as I hate having a odd wire running across my desk.  I want the cord go straight to the back of the desk.
Office: Filco Majestouch 2 Brown (FKBN104M/EB2) | Logitech Wireless Trackball M570
Home: Thinkpad X200\'s built-in keyboard | Logitech Wireless Laser V550 Nano
HTPC: Logitech Wireless Keyboard K270 | Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX

Want to buy: A mechanical keyboard with following features.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 20:33:45 »
Saw this at school today and reminded me of this conversation. This would be a really good idea if you combine it with the style of the Leopold, which has the attachment point of the cord at the base of the trident rather than having a non-detachable cord in the middle of the middle fork.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26802[/ATTACH]
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox