Author Topic: Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite  (Read 4229 times)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite
« on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 19:36:36 »
From what I've read, the HHKB Lite is a RD board. Can anyone compare it to the likes of a stock dell RD? One that looks like this:
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26488[/ATTACH]
I pretty much have to use one of the dells in class, and after typing on blues for the last few weeks, it's driving me nuts. Is the HHKB a better experience? The small form factor would enable me to lug it to and fro with relative ease, and they're not terribly expensive because they're RDs.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline ChaosBattery

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:29:11 »
If the goal is to have a smaller keyboard to take with you, I suggest looking at either the Pokers or a Noppoo mini.  I can't say anything for or against either since I've never used them, but you'll benefit from having a portable mechanical keyboard for the same price as the HHKB Lite.  No need to spend that much money on another RD if the one in class is driving you nuts ;)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:38:20 »
I'm looking at maybe snagging a deal on the HHKB. If I can get one for like, $20, I'd probably do it just because I doubt it can be much worse than the dells.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:43:52 »
Another recommendation for the KBC Poker. Mine arrived yesterday, and so far, I'm impressed. Small and light, with one of the best compact layouts I've seen.

Offline mr626

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 20:50:36 »
Yup, another Poker fan here. I currently use mine with my main system at home, but it is the perfect size to accompany a laptop.

I was worried that I would miss the dedicated arrow keys, but using the Poker's modifier locks to give you the arrow keys works great.

EDIT: just saw the image of the dell board you posted. We have heaps of those at work and I can't stand them. Mushy, unresponsive things :yuck:

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 21:09:18 »
I was looking at the Pokers for the small layout and PCB mounting, but I don't really have the money for one since I just bought a Model M Space Saver, and have to get to the bank to deposit money my sister paid me for a graphics card still. They seem pretty cool. They've got to be better than the **** I'm using now. I can barely stand to code on it. If I didn't have work to get done, I would probably just trash the damn thing.

Offline vicz

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 21:12:57 »
I tried to use an HHKB lite in the past (around 2001), and didn't like it at all. It felt like the unremarkable rubber dome keyboard that it is.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 September 2011, 21:47:12 »
HHKB Lite is not very good. The only thing it has going for it is it's size and layout. Compact Fujitsu rd feels somewhat better in my opinion. If you're on a tight budget you might consider the compact Cherry with ML. It's not the best keyboard, but certainly feels better than most rd boards and can often be had quite cheap on ebay, or even better look for a good price on a TG3/Data911. Otherwise if not used, I also highly recommend saving for a Poker.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 01:32:49 »
The Lite is definitely the best standard rubber dome keyboard I've used. However, it's still a rubber dome. It's a good price if you can find one for around $40 or under.

Offline pyro

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 10:13:10 »
Every cheap island-style keyboard is better than the HHKB Lite. Those keys are really hard on your fingers.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 16:56:15 »
I would be amused if the HHKB Lite managed to be as bad as that Dell – those Dell keyboards with the bulging spacebars and misplaced Print Screen/Scroll Lock/Pause are awful. Both the black and "midnight grey" versions rattle when you type; the black one is very stiff, and the "midnight grey" one feels like it's clogged with wet sand. I went FILCO to finally get away from having to use such awful keyboards.

I'm more curious though how HHKB and HHKB Lite compare – notwithstanding the mid-travel actuation with Topre, how much better are Topre switches compared to the HHKB Lite's regular domes?
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline pyro

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 19:58:54 »
HHKB Lite domes are not regular domes. They are hardened domes, to hate you for not buying the Pro version.

The HHKB Pro is good enough. It certainly doesn't feel like $200' worth and it doesn't smooth the floor hit when you bottom out, but it's solid (as is the lite). But I found it impossible not to bottom out, because the initial resistance of the keys, being a rubberdome, is too high to be absorbed by the remaining (spring) resistance. You hit the bottom just the same moment you overcome the initial rubberdome resistance. It makes you type faster, but so do island-style keyboards.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 20:36:59 »
Yeah... I think I'm gonna skip this one.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 20:54:20 »
Just sold one last week(black in the forum). What I can tell you is that the form factor is very cool and thats what sold me on it. I would also say its similar to the old apple keyboards possibly even a little stiffer than that. I have plans to eventually buy the pro 2 but only cause I really enjoyed the layout of lite 2 and the portability of it. Another reason to wait and buy the pro would be the removable cord for me this is a huge selling point especially if your going to be taking it around town, that way you don't have to fish wires every time you move it.
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline ishtob

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 22:17:02 »
eww we got those keyboards at work... they are terrible

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 01:20:53 »
Quote from: ripster;416946
I wonder if they still put a penguin in the box.

Yes.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26741[/ATTACH]

Quote from: ripster;416946
Doesn't anybody have any nickels?

Yes.
[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26743[/ATTACH]
10 nickels.

Offline duncan

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 01:28:18 »
I tried a workmate's HHKB Lite a couple of months back and it was fairly awful IMHO.

Not even the HH layout could make up for the nasty experience of the keys. If anything I found it worse than the new Dell RB board the HHKB Lite owner had in their drawer.

Just got a KBC Poker and with Reds and the o-ring mod it is 2, 3 or even 4 times the keyboard the HHKB Lite is for slightly less money (both new in box delivered down under). The honeymoon may well end and the Poker may turn out to have a nasty flaw somewhere but right now I am in love with the Poker. It is not my best board but it is easily the most fun per dollar. If you can get $100 together give one a try because I think it is a very nice way to start out in the world of decent keyboards although i might suggest brown switches as a more interesting (and cheaper) option for a first board than the reds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2011, 01:31:39 by duncan »

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 16:47:06 »
Quote from: duncan;417018
I tried a workmate's HHKB Lite a couple of months back and it was fairly awful IMHO.

Not even the HH layout could make up for the nasty experience of the keys. If anything I found it worse than the new Dell RB board the HHKB Lite owner had in their drawer.

Just got a KBC Poker and with Reds and the o-ring mod it is 2, 3 or even 4 times the keyboard the HHKB Lite is for slightly less money (both new in box delivered down under). The honeymoon may well end and the Poker may turn out to have a nasty flaw somewhere but right now I am in love with the Poker. It is not my best board but it is easily the most fun per dollar. If you can get $100 together give one a try because I think it is a very nice way to start out in the world of decent keyboards although i might suggest brown switches as a more interesting (and cheaper) option for a first board than the reds.

Does the poker have a removable usb cord like the HHKB Pro 2? Cause if it does that would be really cool

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:19:52 »
Quote from: whiskerBox;417369
Does the poker have a removable usb cord like the HHKB Pro 2? Cause if it does that would be really cool

No.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:24:51 »
Yes, but see this.

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:26:47 »
There is a review on the HHKB Lite, by me in fact. My conclusion was it was worthless for typing. I still use it as a control keyboard for my archive server.

I think you will find that the stock Dell is head and shoulders above the HHKB Lite.

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:52:02 »
The HHKB Lite is kinda like an entry drug... When you see the videos on YouTube,they sound like a mechanical keyboard, but its not... YOu just hear the bottom-ing out of the typist... That being said: I love the look of them, as they remind me of the very first Mac keyboard (which also didn't have dedicated arorrowkeys)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 21:40:03 »
Yeah, I'm gonna skip it. I bought a Leopold to use instead of the crappy dell, since a phone I was selling on eBay sold for way more than I was expecting.

Offline whiskerBox

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 22:15:28 »
Quote from: hcry4;417424
Yes, but see this.

Yes I can see where that would be a problem. I definitely want a keyboard with a detachable cord for work so that I can put it in my locking drawer or laptop bag.

Also one more nail in the coffin of the lite 2 is that USB ports on it are pretty much useless as they are recessed and not many drives can make it all the way in so they do not function. Not one single USB device that I owned would fit in either of the ports.

Offline D-EJ915

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:27:46 »
Useful size but the key action is kind of shocking.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:35:14 »
Leopold sale fell through! At least for now. How very unfortunate. I guess I'm back to looking for a solid portable board.