Author Topic: Is there a Filco Ninja Tenkeyless version with Blue switches?  (Read 2798 times)

Offline mlangner001

Is there a Filco Ninja Tenkeyless version with Blue switches?
« on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 12:18:53 »
Hi everybody (my first post!)

I like the Otaku style but I am not confident enough that I will be able to enter passwords etc correctly enough to completely ditch the lettering on the keyboard.
Entering the Ninja version of the Filco keyboard...
I also like Cherry Blue switches (Tactile and Clicky)... but: I can't find them in that combination...
The only combinations that I can find are: Filco Ninja tenkeyless with either Black or Brown Switches

a - does this mean they have not made a keyboard like that?
b - if this keyboard exists, does anybody know where I can find it?

Any help is appreciated !

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 12:21:54 »
It takes awhile for them restock, but I am sure there is such a keyboard.  Just be patient :D

Offline ChaosBattery

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 13:02:36 »
There is one listed on the manufacturer website, but it seems like nobody is stocking them right now, assuming it's even in production yet.  I believe Keyboard Co. has said something to the tune of hopefully by December, but I could be wrong.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 13:33:23 »
If you cannot wait, you should just buy the blues and either ninja and swap them yourself. I'm sure you can find someone to buy the other board. Or just keep both...

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 14:15:47 »
Thanks for the feedback...
two follow-up questions:
a) Which switch would be closer to the blue.. the brown or the black ones? (I have the feeling that the brown ones are closer, but it is very hard to tell from the YouTube videos, since a lotos folks seems to enjoy bottoming out while using it)
b) is there a source for the Ninja Keyset? I looked online, and could only find the individual keys or complete normal keyboards (actually... and Otaku-set would also work, since I mainly want to hide the normal letter, not the special characters)

Thanks again for your help!

Offline redpill

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 14:51:41 »
Quote from: mlangner001;415607
Thanks for the feedback...
two follow-up questions:
a) Which switch would be closer to the blue.. the brown or the black ones? (I have the feeling that the brown ones are closer, but it is very hard to tell from the YouTube videos, since a lotos folks seems to enjoy bottoming out while using it)

Frankly, neither.  The blacks are linear (no tactile bump indicating actuation) and are nothing like blues, and browns are very light with only a tiny big of tactility.  Blues have stiffer springs than browns, and have an extra plastic piece in them that make a clicky sound and feel that is nothing like those other switches.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline ChaosBattery

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 13 September 2011, 18:02:54 »
Quote from: mlangner001;415607
b) is there a source for the Ninja Keyset?
qtan appears to sell black pbt/gold print ninja caps in his store http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/

Quote from: redpill;415623
Blues have stiffer springs than browns
I'm not going to argue about the feel of blue vs brown since they are undeniably different, but I thought they still have the same springs.

edit:
To answer part a) for mlangner001: Not counting noise when bottoming out on any switch, you're going to lose the "click" with both brown and black.  It boils down to what type of feel you want.

If you want to at least have some sort of tactility, however little it may seem, go with brown.  If you want a heavier feel and don't mind losing tactile feedback, maybe blacks would be your next best option.

I recommend either waiting for the blue ninja board or swapping caps on another board with blue switches though, since that seems to be what you want the most.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 September 2011, 18:42:00 by ChaosBattery »

Offline spzz

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 04:06:15 »
I'm pretty sure they are available. I saw them in my local store a week ago or something. They had the Ninja's in brown, blue and black.

Offline drsauced

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 14 September 2011, 12:13:50 »
I guess all you'd really need to do is get a regular Filco Click-action from Amazon (hurry, only 6 left RIGHT NOW!), then buy the PBT keycaps from Imsto and enjoy the ping.
Filco Ninja 104 Tactile w/Imsto PBT caps | Deck Legend Ice Linear | FC200RT Clear w/Danger Zone | Topre 87U 45g EK | '89 & '93 1391401 | Ping is Life

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 18:57:56 »
OK... thanks for your responses everybody... I ended up buying the Filco Tenkeyless with the Blue Switches, and I really love it... and now I gotta find a place to modify it a little further (I already changed the position of the Windows and ALT keys to make it like the standard MAc layout)...
TODO-List for Now:
- RED Escape Key
- BLACK BLANK Keys for all the Letter-Keys, and maybe
- WASD keys in a different color (but I might by a little much)

Does anybody know a place where I can buy those? Elite Keyboard in principle seems to carry that stuff, but they are always out of everything.

Offline spzz

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 08:07:10 »
@Ripster I think you have it in the WW shopping thread **** thing. Its in Hong Kong, 2nd floor of the Wanchai computer center. Don't know name though, my way of shopping through there is keep on walking
until I find the store I want. They sell Filco 1 and 2's, Razer Blackwidows and Ducky's.

Offline duncan

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 09:12:11 »
Just to prove that Filco TKL with Ninja keys and MX Blue switches exist here's one for sale (at 18 Sept 2011)

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/KE-FKBN104MC-EFB2/1838/

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 09:26:55 »
That'd be a ****ty ninja if s/he was so loud.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline mlangner001

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 11:08:35 »
Never thought of that... but this is all relative (compared to the Modell M for example)... so this would be the "Relatively Blue Ninja (MX)"

Offline enoy21

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 20:31:04 »
Where did yopu find the Cherry Blue Filco ?  Was it here in the states ?
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]

Offline duncan

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 22:01:22 »
My post with a direct link seems to have failed to get through moderation so here's a guide for humans only:
This site: www DOT auspcmarket DOT com DOT au.
Chose the "Keyboards / Clicky keyboards" path.
Scroll down to see that the Filco Ninja Blues are on pre-order ETA 29 Sept.
Just proof that they have been in the wild and are expected to be again in the near future.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds

Offline enoy21

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 22:53:24 »
Ironically right after seeing this I saw that Amazon has one , or did two hours ago.   But alas , Car failed inspection today..... Gotta see how much new tires are going to run me before buying a new toy   >_>

I really like the tenkeyless ..... but the more and more I think on it , the more and more I like the idea of the WASD.

Same manufacturer and parts , support is here in the US, better prices.... currently hand inspected before leaving ( if the owners post in here can be trusted ).

I hope to be able to order one before he gets too backlogged with new orders and has to hire others who don't have the same level of care and passion. I've seen several people request the TKL , so perhaps he will be making that an option soon.  I also can't wait to see the engraving options as I would totally go for  yellow inscriptions rather than the blanks if that was an option.
WASD 104 work
WASD 104 home
WASD 104 [not my style]
Filco MJ2 Ninja 87 [sold]