Author Topic: Help me choose a portable keyboard!  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
  • Still around, sometimes.
Help me choose a portable keyboard!
« on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 18:32:35 »
So, to give you guys a brief idea of my situation: I'm looking for a portable keyboard I can take to class. The school has rubber domes and I can't take it. I've been looking at a poker with reds, a leopold with browns, or maybe even a ducky or noppoo choc mini. The Leopolds have those swanky cases on EK, which seem pretty convenient, but I figure those would probably fit any of the others, except maybe the poker. So, knowing what all you guys know, and with all your personal experience, what would you guys recommend? And if it's not the Leo, how would you recommend I transport it? Thanks!

For reference:
Leopold= $120 new with shipping, apparently.
Ducky= $93-100 shipped
Noppoo=$100 shipped
Poker= $125 shipped

Prices for Noppoo and Poker pulled from eBay, Leopold from what I've read, Ducky from tankguys.
Risen from the dead for a model F.

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline mr626

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 20:42:56 »
The Poker would be a great choice. As far as how would you transport it I guess that depends on what else you are already taking to class. For example, I occasionally take my Poker with me when I'll be using my laptop somewhere. When I do this, I just put it in the padded section of the laptop bag.

Offline theferenc

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 20:51:51 »
I do the same with my HHKB. My EEE Slate tablet fits in the laptop portion of my briefcase with no trouble at all, with more than enough room for my HHKB. It really does just depend on what else you're already carrying along.
HHKB Pro 2 -- Custom UNIX layout Unicomp Customizer 101 -- IBM Model M 1391401 (modded to UNIX layout) -- IBM 1397000 (also UNIX layout) -- SSK in UNIX layout -- Model F 122 key in UNIX layout (Soarer USB "native")

CST L-TracX trackball -- Kensington Expert Mouse trackball

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 20:59:31 »
I use to bring my Leopold tenkeyless to work back and forth everyday by bringing it in it's original packaging (which fits very snugly) which fits inside a normal sized school bag but even that is a bit big. I just bough a Poker off Ebay to get something smaller to bring around and I favor that over the Noppoo because it's smaller. Would definitely go for one of these compact ones though for size.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 21:37:38 »
I've had a Filco Tenkeyless as my carry about keyboard with my laptop, and that was replaced by the Poker. The Filco (and other tenkeyless boards) are usually just that bit too big to fit into the front of a laptop bag, whereas my Poker fits nicely, being about 2 inches shorter and an inch shallower.

I can't speak for the Noppoo, as I've never owned one though.

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 23:20:03 »
HHKB2 with one of those dope travel cases.
keyboards!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 15 September 2011, 23:30:30 »
I'm going to second the Poker. It's awesome. I have 3 of them :)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 16 September 2011, 14:48:49 »
Hmm... I'll be taking it with a backpack, so while all those laptop bag things are good to know for the future, they're not entirely useful to me as of right now. Though the idea of taking it in its original packaging and just throwing it in my bag would probably work. It also dawned on me that I will probably only need to take it there and back once, as I can throw it in my locker. So I'll probably just keep it in my bag. Now to decide on which one to get! Probably whatever I can get for ~$75-$80, since that's what I have in my paypal now.

EDIT: Well, that was decided fairly easily. A Leopold TKL with browns popped up on the classifieds right in my price range, so I snapped it up (Thanks, Rafen!). Here's hoping I adjust to the lack of a number pad.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 September 2011, 16:38:54 by Quarzac »

Wyse buy colors were GSY for the dark grey, GBA for the light grey, and BBI for the fonts.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:28:17 »
Well, the Leopold sale fell through. Looks like it wasn't in tip-top shape after all. So now I'm back, but with all my money stuck in internet limbo. Woohoo. I'll probably just end up making a classifieds thread about it once this all clears up.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:33:58 »
At least it didn't take until you got it for you to find out.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 13:44:05 »
Quote from: False_Dmitry_II;417753
At least it didn't take until you got it for you to find out.

True, true. And the seller was a very nice guy about the whole deal. So it's not really too bad, I'm just disappointed that I won''t have a new keyboard coming next week.

Offline redpill

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 14:07:59 »
Poker, they are fun, cheap, and compact for traveling.  A tenkeyless board is much much larger.

^ Current Favorite ^  Topre Realforce 87UB 55g  |  Topre Realforce 103UB 55g | KBC Poker/Browns/Sanded KeycapsDucky 1087 | Filco MajesFoam-2 | IBM Model M 1390131 Feb '87 | Still Love: Microsoft Trackball Explorer x3 | Now Unused:  Microsoft Natural Ergo 4k x2

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 14:46:34 »
There are also siig minitouches and such. That's also an option.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jpm804

• KeyCap Assasin
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 15:44:01 »
Quote from: redpill;417777
Poker, they are fun, cheap, and compact for traveling.  A tenkeyless board is much much larger.

I have a KBC poker blues which I just listed if youre interested...

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?22109-RealForce-86UB-Poker-Blues-Click-Clack-Yellow-KBC-37-PBT-Engraved-GH-Keycaps&p=417822#post417822
REALFORCE|FILCO|HHKB|KBC POKER X|LEOPOLD|CM STORM|SIIG (GHSS)|IBM SSK

Offline thebilgerat

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 16:14:33 »
IBM model M.  You can file down an edge and use it as a combination bludgeoning/slashing weapon, or use it to leverage cars off of pinned victims of motor vehicle accidents.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 16:43:53 »
Quote from: thebilgerat;417838
IBM model M.  You can file down an edge and use it as a combination bludgeoning/slashing weapon, or use it to leverage cars off of pinned victims of motor vehicle accidents.
While I love my Model M, it's hardly portable, and the computers at school don't have PS/2 ports, so I can't use the Space Saver, though I have one. Besides, I'm selling the SS anyways. So I'm looking for a new board, preferably with USB, so I don't have to buy an adapter.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 17:39:20 »
You know how cheap adapters are, right? It may not be super portable but it isn't horribly worse than other regular tenkeylesses.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 17:48:49 »
I really like the Poker with the reds. I almost think I might like it even better than my TKL Filco with Reds which was my previous favorite keyboard. Unfortunately it was broken in the first week. I would say it was my fault for not removing the cord when I packed it.  The mini connector bent and broke the connection inside the board. I am totally bummed.  But I ended up ordering a replacement.  So I can say I highly recommend the Poker with reds but handle it with care.
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 September 2011, 17:52:07 »
I do know how cheap adapters are. I just don't want to buy one considering I'd only be using it for this, and I bought the SSK with the intention of reselling it anyways. I put up a thread in the classifieds about all this, so we'll see how it pans out. And maybe the original Leopold seller will work things out with that board. I figure I will have a board eventually.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 23:09:08 »
I'm suddenly in the market for a portable keyboard to schlep around with my Macbook.  So that rules out the Choc Mini.  I'll also need a numpad layer.  So that rules out the Poker.  Any advice?  SIIG minitouch?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 00:18:13 »
Quote from: hashbaz;418408
I'm suddenly in the market for a portable keyboard to schlep around with my Macbook.  So that rules out the Choc Mini.  I'll also need a numpad layer.  So that rules out the Poker.  Any advice?  SIIG minitouch?

Sounds like you need a SSK! Oh my! Look what I just so happen to be selling!
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 September 2011, 00:52:54 by Quarzac »

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 00:47:59 »
Quote from: Quarzac;418426
Sounds like you need a SSK! Oh my! look what I just so happen to be selling!

Heh, I forgot to mention that I also need it to be quiet as I'll be taking notes during meetings with it. :)

Ideally red switches, but brown or Alps equivalent will do.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 01:00:19 »
Quote from: hashbaz;418432
Heh, I forgot to mention that I also need it to be quiet as I'll be taking notes during meetings with it. :)

Ideally red switches, but brown or Alps equivalent will do.
Are there really many boards with a numpad layer? The only ones that came to mind was the Noppoo and SSK, and those are not options for you. Do the PLUs have it? I don't think the Leopolds or Filcos do. I thought the HHKBs did, but it looks like you have one of those, so you would know better than I would. Looks like the Duckies have it. Go with that. They're pretty cheap. Probably about $120 shipped for reds through TankGuys. $93 shipped for me for browns.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 01:23:50 »
Quote from: Quarzac;418436
Are there really many boards with a numpad layer? The only ones that came to mind was the Noppoo and SSK, and those are not options for you. Do the PLUs have it? I don't think the Leopolds or Filcos do. I thought the HHKBs did, but it looks like you have one of those, so you would know better than I would. Looks like the Duckies have it. Go with that. They're pretty cheap. Probably about $120 shipped for reds through TankGuys. $93 shipped for me for browns.

I think my choices are pretty limited given my constraints.  Tenkeyless is not small enough -- I need a compact layout keyboard.  So that eliminates Leo, Filco, Ducky, and PLU.  And I just found out that the SIIG Minitouch has clicky switches, so it's out too. Hmmmmmz...

I wish I had a HHKB.  The last line in my sig is just an exhortation to hack happily, with whatever keyboard you have.

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #24 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 01:28:57 »
Perhaps consider a HHKB Lite? They're apparently kind of mediocre RDs, but they have a compact layout like you're looking for. People are basically throwing them away, too. A guy on the classifieds let one go for shipping alone, and one closed on eBay for <$30 earlier today.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 01:35:18 »
HHKB has no numpad layer though, right?

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 01:45:10 »
Quote from: hashbaz;418447
HHKB has no numpad layer though, right?
I thought it had one, but I'm not totally sure.

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 02:43:52 »
My vote would be for a Poker with a full set of Cherry Corp doubleshots w/ErgoClears :D

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26878[/ATTACH]
I still need to modify a Cherry Corp spacebar to fit (the stock one has a slightly taller profile), but every thing else is unmodified.
Check out my sales thread.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
KBC w/Reds and Cherry doubleshots in imsto\'s case
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g
KMAC Titanium/Winkeyless (in the mail)

Offline Quarzac

• A very busy dude!
« Reply #28 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 02:51:02 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;418461
My vote would be for a Poker with a full set of Cherry Corp doubleshots w/ErgoClears :D

(Attachment Link) 26878[/ATTACH]
I still need to modify a Cherry Corp spacebar to fit (the stock one has a slightly taller profile), but every thing else is unmodified.

I want that board. I want it badly.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 02:56:00 »
Quote from: BiNiaRiS;418461

Needs a red tilde. ;)

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 03:14:50 »
Here's another pic with the recent RGB set added...mainly for Hashbaz to see but maybe it will convince more people to get pokers :)

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 26882[/ATTACH]
The profile on the RGB keys is a little bit too high as well which is why I probably will keep them off, but it's not too noticeable.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 03:20:35 »
That looks even better.  Do you have the function layer memorized?

Offline BiNiaRiS

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 03:28:56 »
Not yet, since I don't really care that much. I usually have the arrow lock on most of the time. I should memorize del/home/end since I use those enough. The rest I just don't use enough to worry about it.

I also just put an awesome face cap on for the Esc key. I have a couple sets of the Rebel RGB sets coming in and I was planning on putting the darker blue alts from those sets on here. I wasn't happy about the light blue color that it ended up as.

KMAC 2 w/ErgoClears
G80-1800HAU w/ErgoClears
Realforce 87UB 55g

Offline duncan

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 19 September 2011, 05:39:00 »
Another vote for the KBC Poker. You were quoting $125 which is a bit expensive IMO.

Hunt around and you should be able to get a Poker for more like $100 delivered.

The problem seems to be that they are being snapped up as they become available so supply is not keeping up with demand and thereby driving the price up.
That has to tell you that a lot of people like these.

As highlighted above they are not the best built boards and are not the toughest but they are small, cute and fun.

But using the prices you were quoting above then I would probably suggest the Leopold might be the better buy. I love my Poker but I don't think I would pay more than a Leo for one unless I absolutely knew I had to have the extra compactness. If you could handle the size of the Leo then at less money it is probably the better overall buy if you are being sensible. The Leo is just not as much fun as Poker but it is more solidly built so might stand the rigours of student life better.

Any way you go with all these suggestions I am sure you will be happy with whatever choice you end up making. Do let us knowhow you find your new board when you have had a chance to use it for a week or so.

Realforce 86UB || HHKB P2 || FILCO MT 87 Blues || FILCO MT 87 Browns || FILCO MT 87 Ninja  Blacks || Poker X Reds